GTX 780 on pre order

Tony N

I think this is just launch day pricing. And I expect to be to 680 pricing within a few months. And where's my GTX 770?!!!

Quote me to get a reply!

Is this the beginning of the end for desktop computers?

I was recently watching videos of a surface pro running various games and i was definitely impressed. I realized that if the hardware inside was a bit more powerful and the software was vastly better optimized that it would make for an awesome concept. However Desktop computers aren't going anywhere. It is still the main platform for professional use and is still fairly strong in home use. I would like to see laptops get faster and better battery life but the oem's are trickling that out in order to make more money. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I was recently watching videos of a surface pro running various games and i was definitely impressed. I realized that if the hardware inside was a bit more powerful and the software was vastly better optimized that it would make for an awesome concept. However Desktop computers aren't going anywhere. It is still the main platform for professional use and is still fairly strong in home use. I would like to see laptops get faster and better battery life but the oem's are trickling that out in order to make more money. 

Size, weight, and cost can be drastically reduced if we used a data streaming concept similar to Nvidia Shield. I can see myself gaming on a phone and tablet if I could use my desktop's horsepower.

For that price i would go with two 7970 :lol:

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

I think this is just launch day pricing. And I expect to be to 680 pricing within a few months. And where's my GTX 770?!!!

Doubt it. The 680 launched at $499 more than a year ago. The lowest priced one I could find was 430 after MIR. that's a 14% decrease in price. It would take a 41% decrease in price for the 780 to reach the 680's launch price of $499. It's not gonna happen. Nvidia better rethink their strategy because AMD is waiting to kill them in price to performance. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Size, weight, and cost can be drastically reduced if we used a data streaming concept similar to Nvidia Shield. I can see myself gaming on a phone and tablet if I could use my desktop's horsepower.

The issue is input. Not everyone likes a controller. I like them for platformers but not for rpg/fps games. it just doesn't work for me. And not everyone is about the gaming side of things. I do video editing and photo work. I wouldn't use something like the surface for anything major but i still like to have the option of doing work on the road and gaming on the side. Just my 2 Cents I suppose :)

Hail Sithis!

Check your local retailer of choice. It's currently being sold as a GTX 680. OK, it's less aggressively clocked but instead of a TDP of 230W it's listed as 195W. That's even better! Less heat, less power consumption! :rolleyes:

The issue is input. Not everyone likes a controller. I like them for platformers but not for rpg/fps games. it just doesn't work for me. And not everyone is about the gaming side of things. I do video editing and photo work. I wouldn't use something like the surface for anything major but i still like to have the option of doing work on the road and gaming on the side. Just my 2 Cents I suppose :)

It can be for some games, I'd really like a feature where you could use televisions as well and have a motion detecting sensor to simulate your movement.

It can be for some games, I'd really like a feature where you could use televisions as well and have a motion detecting sensor to simulate your movement.

That is something that could easily be integrated. But alas the Xbox is and will be Micro$oft's platform of choice.  <_<

Hail Sithis!

Damn I was hoping to rant. well we shall see. :/

Hail Sithis!

At that point I would just stretch my budget another 100$ and get a Titan

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

Damn I was hoping to rant. well we shall see. :/

Nothing makes my day like preventing a good rant :P

I was able to find more info on Avadirect by googling the serial number:

$741 wow, that price will be marked up when it's in Australia.