Question

Carnage

I'm looking to build my first ever custom PC and I was wondering once I get all my parts for my computer should I take it to TigerDirect and have them build it for me or will I be able to do it myself? The only reason i won't take it to Tiger direct is because they charge like $200- $300 to build it-.-. 

So would it be to hard for me to build it myself since I've never done this before, I don't want to mess nothing up while I'm building it. Plus I've seen many of Linus video on youtube so don't know if that will help me. lol

Build it yourself! I built my first computer last summer, just after watching Youtube videos. It really isnt that hard, and its pretty hard to mess things up. You essentially take the correct plug and plug it into the correct socket, and your done. 

Build it yourself. Watch the build videos, take your time and everything will be fine. It will also help educate you about your system far more than having someone else build it, meaning if something goes wrong in the future you'll have far more chance of fixing it yourself and saving even more money.

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

It's just a matter of how comfortable you are - if you really feel like you will break it or something, then maybe it would be a better choice to hire someone to build it. But I really suggest you watch videos (Linus has a good video as well as Newegg), get comfortable and familiar with what you will be doing, and build it yourself. You'll save a ton of money plus you'll be able to say you built your computer yourself.

It's really not that hard - you just need to make sure you know what you're doing before you try to build it.

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

he just did a 40min how to video guide. Building a PC is like playing with lego! Don't be afraid :D

The best thing would to build it yourself. Since it's your first time building a computer take your time and do it properly. Make sure you read the manuals and don't be afraid to take a break and look up videos if you can't find something in the manuals or even come back to this forums and ask us, I'm pretty sure that we can help in some way. 

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Thanks alot for replies I will definitely try and build my computer myself. Hopefully I won't have any problems and I'm going to start to look at ALOT more videos so I can be ready when I get my parts.

It really isn't that hard, gonna build my second ever own built computer this month, did it already for a friend. It's really awesome how much you can save by doing it yourself! With my first one, I felt like you aswell, especially because it was for a good friend of mine. Just watch diffrent videos on how to do everything, love the new one of Linus.

Current Rig:    AMD FX 8350 @ 4.3GHz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Edition | ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z | ASUS AMD Radeon HD7950 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1866MHz RAM

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 Watt PSU | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | ASUS DVD Writer | CM Storm Trooper Windowed Edition

Peripherals:    BeyerDynamic Custom One Pro | Func MS3 | Steelseries QcK | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown (on release)

It's quite easy once you're used to it. Sometimes I finish so quickly, I just ask myself "that's it?". I actually enjoy taking my time and when it's over, I have the bittersweet moment of having it done.

Feel free to pm me if you need one on one help. I'll try my best to be useful. 

A general idea of how a computer is put together:

1. Get a motherboard.

2. Put the cpu into motherboard and plug in the fan header pins.

3. Stick ram in motherboard

4. Put heatsink/cooler over cpu.

5. Stick in graphics card/other pci cards into motherboard

6. Put in motherboard stand screws. Stick in i/o shield from the inside of the case. Screw the motherboard into the case.

7. Put power supply in the back, hard drives and solid state drives into the hard drive cage, and dvd drives into 5.25 drive bays.

8. Connect pins from the case to motherboard. 

9. Power your fans/hdds/ssds/motherboard/dvd drive/graphics card with cables from the power supply.

10. Close the case?

That's pretty much it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's quite easy once you're used to it. Sometimes I finish so quickly, I just ask myself "that's it?". I actually enjoy taking my time and when it's over, I have the bittersweet moment of having it done.

Feel free to pm me if you need one on one help. I'll try my best to be useful. 

A general idea of how a computer is put together:

1. Get a motherboard.

2. Put the cpu into motherboard and plug in the fan header pins.

3. Stick ram in motherboard

4. Put heatsink/cooler over cpu.

5. Stick in graphics card/other pci cards into motherboard

6. Put in motherboard stand screws. Stick in i/o shield from the inside of the case. Screw the motherboard into the case.

7. Put power supply in the back, hard drives and solid state drives into the hard drive cage, and dvd drives into 5.25 drive bays.

8. Connect pins from the case to motherboard. 

9. Power your fans/hdds/ssds/motherboard/dvd drive/graphics card with cables from the power supply.

10. Close the case?

That's pretty much it.

Thanks a lot I'll definitely contact you if I need help with something.