Swapping phones: no contract goodness

Ericde95

Hello LTT,

As flagship no-contract phones such as the Oneplus One and Motorola X (with the current Slick Deals discount) reach impulse-buying territory of $300, I raise a question about the ease of having multiple current flagship phones and the ease of switching which phone is current/receiving service and your daily driver. Are there any LTT forumers who have more than one device that they actively use and swap service on/off of? Is it a pain? Is there any reason for me to buy a Oneplus One or Moto X to play with if I already have my M8? How do you feel about swapping phones on the regular simply because it's economically feasible and keeps things interesting?

Also, how exactly do no-contract phones connect to services like Verizon? If I bought a Oneplus One, would it require anything special to work on my carrier?

Food for thought,

Eric

Desktop: ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula - 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF3 - G.Skill 16 GB 1600Mhz - Antec 900W - 128GB Crucial M4 - 2TB Hitachi HDD - NZXT H440

Mobile: Nexus 6P (current)  - Razer Blade 256 GB Laptop

I can only answer the last question. In my area, using a no-contract phone on a service is simple, you take it to them, they activate a SIM for you and you use the phone on their network. At any time you can switch networks by cancelling your current service. I'm going to be doing that with the OnePlus One when it arrives this week :)

I can only answer the last question. In my area, using a no-contract phone on a service is simple, you take it to them, they activate a SIM for you and you use the phone on their network. At any time you can switch networks by cancelling your current service. I'm going to be doing that with the OnePlus One when it arrives this week :)

Do you receive a pro-rated service price because there is no included subsidized device?

By the way, congrats on the Oneplus One. I'm a big fan of the phone and look forward to more reviews.

Desktop: ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula - 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF3 - G.Skill 16 GB 1600Mhz - Antec 900W - 128GB Crucial M4 - 2TB Hitachi HDD - NZXT H440

Mobile: Nexus 6P (current)  - Razer Blade 256 GB Laptop

Do you receive a pro-rated service price because there is no included subsidized device? By the way, congrats on the Oneplus One. I'm a big fan of the phone and look forward to more reviews.

Nope the service costs the same, well less if you don't already have a phone going in. Thank you by the way :D I'm really excited to use it!

Hello LTT,

As flagship no-contract phones such as the Oneplus One and Motorola X (with the current Slick Deals discount) reach impulse-buying territory of $300, I raise a question about the ease of having multiple current flagship phones and the ease of switching which phone is current/receiving service and your daily driver. Are there any LTT forumers who have more than one device that they actively use and swap service on/off of? Is it a pain? Is there any reason for me to buy a Oneplus One or Moto X to play with if I already have my M8? How do you feel about swapping phones on the regular simply because it's economically feasible and keeps things interesting?

Also, how exactly do no-contract phones connect to services like Verizon? If I bought a Oneplus One, would it require anything special to work on my carrier?

Food for thought,

Eric

Nope the service costs the same, well less if you don't already have a phone going in. Thank you by the way :D I'm really excited to use it!

Depends on who you take it to. AT&T for sure has off contract prices and will give them to you if you are off contract and request it (had a few friends go this route, not sure how much hassle they give you, though). T-mobile is all off contract pricing, so that is another option. I don't believe Sprint offers that option and not sure about Verizon.

As far as using Verizon as your service, it might be more difficult since Verizon is primarily a CDMA service and most unlocked phones are GSM (the OnePlus One is for sure). This means that most phones *will not* be compatible with Verizon, unfortunately.

I currently swap between a Lumia 925 and an HTC One M7 on AT&T in the NYC area. Since both phones have microSIMs (I think) I can just swap my SIM card back and forth as I need to. Obviously these devices aren't this year's high end phones but the idea is the same. As I mentioned before, my devices are both microSIM but you'll need to watch out for devices with varying SIM card sizes. In this case, you'll need a nanoSIM + adapter, likely. This experience should carry over to T-mobile as well since that service is GSM based. As far as I understand, Verizon and Sprint require you to call or take it to the store to deactivate one and activate the other.

If you already have an M8 and you're happy with it, I don't suggest investing in a second phone and swapping back and forth. I do it because I'm mobile tech obsessed and I like the varying experience and features on different platforms. If you feel like you want to dip a toe into it, I'd start with something even more inexpensive (I'm thinking Moto E/G or Lumia 530/635) and see if you enjoy it.