Benefits of RAID SSDs?

dylandylandylan

Hey guys, I was wondering if there is any benefit to placing SSD in raid, - more like any noticeable difference?

I'm trying to decide whether to get two SSDs or just one to upgrade my OCZ agility 3 60GB, lol.

Thanks guys!

#!

It depends on the Raid-type and your purpose of it:

Raid 0 - Speed: The SSD's aper as one drive with combined speed and storage 

Raid 1 - Safety: One drive mirror the other, a drive can die, and you still get to keep your stuff.

I'm planing on running two Samsung 840 Basic or Pro in Raid 0, should be very fast read/wright :)

FRACTAL DESIGN R4 / AMD FX 8350 / NVIDIA GTX 770 / ASUS SABERTOOTH FX990 R2

MacBook Pro (2011) w. Samsung 840 PRO & 16 GB Corsair Ram

Twice as likely to die

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

Basicaly just get one SSD thats baller and fast as hell because raid on SSds is pointless plus you almost always need a raid card because onboard motherboard raid isnt good enough for that kind of speed.

Basicaly just get one SSD thats baller and fast as hell because raid on SSds is pointless plus you almost always need a raid card because onboard motherboard raid isnt good enough for that kind of speed.

Onboard Raid can be limiting if your going to extremes I guess, but its plenty capable, yet with its flaws but its not all bad, for someone wanting to get a look into raid, go for it.

SSD's are small enough to backup/system image to a mechanical drive SO easily.

If it all goes kapoot.. Re-Raid and Re-Image, Still being Fast as Hell.

BF3's files & other games coming to light benefit from SSDs, BF3 especially on the load times, however the map files are singular BIG files, I think the ssd loves that regard compared to smaller files (smaller files = not max speed read or takes longer to get there) Other games would have varying sizes.

I tried Raid 0 using 7200rpm mechanicals years ago and was hitting the norm 240mb/s from two drives. Since buying another computer with an SSD and a 1TB 7200rpm for games.

If I had the money, or if you did..?

Would you get a single SSD for Windows (lots of tiny windows files moving about 24/7 in the background you cant see, perfect for SSDs many small reads and writes) and

without Windows background services in the way or anything else...seperate SSDs Raid 0 for Games be fastest of all.(BF3 for example).Max speed or not. Its still faster than a single SSD.

Would you say this separatism of Single then Dual in Raid0 would be best for the SSD Gaming Experience.? Or would you just Stick with one SSD for each and not be bothered until you saw real raw visual benefits?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz