CPU Adaptive Voltage Explanation?

Hello, I've recently tried to overclock my i5 4690K to 4.5 GHz @ 1.20V and found it to be stable there. Once I found my overclock, I tried setting the voltage from manual to adaptive (Following Linus's advice) but it BSOD when I try to boot to Windows. After Googling a bit, I could never find a post that states how to set the adaptive voltage settings. People were like change the LLC (Load Line Calibration) to medium settings, disable PLL, something with CPU-Z voltage and BIOS voltage, etc. I'm just really confused on how to set the settings when using adaptive voltage, like wtf is offset voltage? What do I set for Turbo Offset Voltage? Etc. Please don't tell me to use offset voltage, seems worse than adaptive.

I'm using a ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 motherboard with 16GB of RAM @ 1600MHz.

Haswell Low Power Modes

Cpu ratio mode- Dynamic
Enhanced Turbo- Enabled
CPU core voltage mode- Adaptive
CPU ring voltage mode- Adaptive
Intel C-state – Enabled
C1E Support- Enabled
Package C-state limit - Auto

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

lol MSI has the best uefi for z87\z97 setting things like adaptive voltage is a breeze.

both asus and gigabyte force you to use a voltage offset if you would like to run adaptive voltage.

you need to set your base voltage. i suggest 0.700V

you also need to set the turbo offset. in your case set the turbo offset for 0.500V. 0.7 + 0.5 should give you 1.2V under load. little bit of trial and error.

i used ai suite to figure out what i needed to set the base voltage and turbo offset for. its a pain in the ass.

MSI makes z87 and z97 a dream come true.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Haswell Low Power Modes

Cpu ratio mode- Dynamic
Enhanced Turbo- Enabled
CPU core voltage mode- Adaptive
CPU ring voltage mode- Adaptive
Intel C-state – Enabled
C1E Support- Enabled
Package C-state limit - Auto

And what do you put for CPU core voltage adaptive settings? Because if I don't put in anything, it BSOD.

when using AV, Set the Voltage at the highest you need, because that way the CPU wont use it all when not needed, say when it's idling, and will crank up the Voltage up when under load while if you set it on offset you'll have to go back to Bios and Bring the Voltage down Manually when you know you wont be needing it otherwise you CPU will Heat up for nothing, consume Too much for nothing 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

lol MSI has the best uefi for z87\z97 setting things like adaptive voltage is a breeze.

both asus and gigabyte force you to use a voltage offset if you would like to run adaptive voltage.

you need to set your base voltage. i suggest 0.700V

you also need to set the turbo offset. in your case set the turbo offset for 0.500V. 0.7 + 0.5 should give you 1.2V under load. little bit of trial and error.

i used ai suite to figure out what i needed to set the base voltage and turbo offset for. its a pain in the ass.

MSI makes z87 and z97 a dream come true.

I don't see an option to set the base voltage, unless you mean the CPU Input Voltage which is on auto @ 1.713V

Edit: Asus's settings look like this: http://www.raceinfo.no/temp/bilde%202_28.JPG

when using AV, Set the Voltage at the highest you need, because that way the CPU wont use it all when not needed, say when it's idling, and will crank up the Voltage up when under load while if you set it on offset you'll have to go back to Bios and Bring the Voltage down Manually when you know you wont be needing it otherwise you CPU will Heat up for nothing, consume Too much for nothing 

I don't have an option to "set the voltage".

I don't see an option to set the base voltage, unless you mean the CPU Input Voltage which is on auto @ 1.713V

Edit: Asus's settings look like this: http://www.raceinfo.no/temp/bilde%202_28.JPG

cpu core voltage offset. 0.700  it should drop down to .7 while idle

additional turbo voltage 0.500 it should hit 1.2V under load

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

cpu core voltage offset. 0.700  it should drop down to .7 while idle

additional turbo voltage 0.500 it should hit 1.2V under load

Just tried those settings, CPU overvolted to 1.6V and didn't even boot. Is the offset suppose to be negative or positive?

trial and error

reduce additional turbo voltage till you get 1.2V under load. its a pain in the ass. gonna take more than one try

keep the offset positive

trial and error

reduce additional turbo voltage till you get 1.2V under load. its a pain in the ass. gonna take more than one try

keep the offset positive

Thank you for your help, I'll try that now.

CPU core offset voltage should be left on auto.

The value for additional turbo voltage is what your vcore is going to be at its full turbo. Give something like 1.20V and the cpu should be at 1.20V during aida64 stressing.

I recommend you reset the bios first, then do this. The old offset mode, overvolts the cpu at any frequency by the amount you set in the bios. Adaptive mode which is complety new gives you the option to ONLY overvolt the cpu when its at full turbo, for normal clock speeds like 800MHz/1200MHz etc it will be the stock ones. You're not supposed to lower the cpu core offset voltage unless you want to crash at 1200MHz.

You're not supposed to lower the cpu core offset voltage unless you want to crash at 1200MHz.

??? this is my CPU idling on the desktop, notice how it is running with 0.7230V @ 0.9ghz and only 1 core active?

Capture.png

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

??? this is my CPU idling on the desktop, notice how it is running with 0.7230V @ 0.9ghz and only 1 core active?

Yeah.. Wasn't detailed enough. By default its set to + mode, so it will rather overvolt the frequencies like 800MHz/1200MHz/1600MHz whatever you have. If you select the min mode it will undervolt it instead.

What he has to do is; reset bios - select adaptive mode and only change the "additional turbo mode cpu core voltage" to whatever vcore he wants under full load like 1.25V. Just like MSI's implentation prokon was talking about. Heres a picture: http://i.imgur.com/ukxEQ58.jpg

Thank you for your help everyone. I've finally found out what was the problem, I have the Windows Power Option set to High Performance, therefore, the CPU runs at 100% regardless of it being load/idle. Here is a picture:

1ed4da22ae3fde63597cf532df20acdb.png

After finding this out, I set the min. processor state to 1% and left the max. processor state. The CPU Core Voltage Offset was defaulted to Auto, and the Turbo Voltage set as 1.2V. Thanks for the help guys.

Thank you for your help everyone. I've finally found out what was the problem, I have the Windows Power Option set to High Performance, therefore, the CPU runs at 100% regardless of it being load/idle. Here is a picture:

After finding this out, I set the min. processor state to 1% and left the max. processor state. The CPU Core Voltage Offset was defaulted to Auto, and the Turbo Voltage set as 1.2V. Thanks for the help guys.

Use Balanced, and change the minimum processor state from 5 to 0%. And let your storage hdd turn off after a min, noisy fuckers they are

Use Balanced, and change the minimum processor state from 5 to 0%. And let your storage hdd turn off after a min, noisy fuckers they are

good advises only i wouldnt reduce the minimum processor state to 0% as most power supplies can't handle such low delivery for the CPU and that can cause the PC to freeze, 5% is where it should be, other than that it's good.