RAID-0 SSD recommendation?

AdmiralWen

I'm planing a build with two 500gb RAID-0 SSDs, and nothing else for storage. I don't need more than 1tb of storage space, and I back up my critical data to an external flash drive so I have some degree of security against drive failure. Still, I'd like the SSDs to be both fast and reliable, and it seems like the 840 Evo or the Intel 730 are good candidates. What would you recommend (doesn't have to be those two).

I would suggest 840 EVO SSD's. They are great, fast, reliable, inexpensive SSD's and I've been loving my 250GB 840 EVO so far :)

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Intel 730 seems very expensive to me. I just installed a 840 Evo in my system yesterday and am loving it. I would definitely recommend it.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

I would suggest 840 EVO SSD's. They are great, fast, reliable, inexpensive SSD's and I've been loving my 250GB 840 EVO so far :)

was part of the limitation of the EVO's over the 840Pros is you cant hardware RAID them?

(could be remembering wrong)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

was part of the limitation of the EVO's over the 840Pros is you cant hardware RAID them?

I haven't heard that before, and if he is only using 2 SSD's he really doesn't need a hardware RAID card. His motherboards RAID capability would be just fine. (If his motherboard supports RAID) 

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Go with 2 samsung 840 evo pros or wait for the 850 pros to come out. You should get a good deal and there performance and longevity is legendary. MAKE SURE TO DO BACKUPS RAID 0 IS NOT SAFE!!!!

This is something that I've been somewhat curious about. I understand that RAID-0 means that if either one drive fails then you lose everything. But exactly how "unsafe" are they in real world terms? Basically, if I RAID-0 two 840 Evos together, how long do you expect the setup to last before at least one of them fail? With only two drives, a gamer/home user is still pretty safe, right?

Intel 730's or Samsung 850 pro. I can not recommend the 840 EVO for raid.

You can raid them but their "tricks" may not work. Its really not designed to be raid'ed either.

This is something that I've been somewhat curious about. I understand that RAID-0 means that if either one drive fails then you lose everything. But exactly how "unsafe" are they in real world terms? Basically, if I RAID-0 two 840 Evos together, how long do you expect the setup to last before at least one of them fail? With only two drives, a gamer/home user is still pretty safe, right?

Well since either can kill it its twice as dangerous as one. I've never had a ssd completely go but I've always bought premium drives for the most part. I have had small firmware issues though.

Also if you don't keep any real data on the drives you don't have to worry. You can always reinstall your os, programs, and games.

honestly i wouldnt expect more than 2 years out of them.

Any reasoning or data behind this?

ive had good qualitly drives fail in under a year when in raid 0 granted what was with 4 drives.

Did the RAID fail or a drive? Why did you RAID 0 4 SSDs? I mean ill be doing it shortly in my 20th anniversary build for giggles with some older drives.

Not sure i get the failure argument.

Take these two scenarios:

A: one 1000GB SSD

B: two 500GB SSD's in RAID 0

now one of the SSD's fails, in either scenario the data is gone.

Its twice as likely to happen for B but the failure rate on SSD's is so extremely low.

Just have backups of important data which you should have anyway. Installing windows again is not the end of the world.