Windows 7: Network Username & Password

Cazure

Hello everyone,

For school and freelance work I need to make 3D-renders sometimes. To save time I do these renders on a seperate machine (rendernode/slave that is connected to my home network. But yesterday my Windows is asking me for a Username and password and I can't find it anywhere.

So after a few hours of searching the interwebs for solutions. I came up with..... nothing. 

I've tried a ton of things to do this, the things that were most suggested;

- Under advanced settings for sharing (I'm Dutch so I'm translating this for the most part), secure sharing with password disabled. 40-bits & 56-bits encryption enabled and connections with a homegroup managed by Windows. This did not work.

- Credential Manager, remove all the credentials (there were none) and then add new ones for the PC's I want to connect. So I did: 

Networkadress: my IP

Username: name of the computer that I want to connect to

Password: password of the computer that I want to connect to

And then something odd happend. I could connect from the slave machine to the workstation. But not from the workstation to the slave machine. Did the exact samething. When prompted by Windows asking my a Network Username & Password, I filled in the info that worked for the Slave. But couldn't connect.

Please let me know if there are any other solutions to this problem. Because it's driving me insane. 

Also, my excuses if this is not the right place for this topic.

Greetings,

Hero

post-107692-0-03301100-1405767837.png

@Cazure

I can see you're becoming a little confused. Let me explain it step by step.

Each computer has a computer name and different user. I don't know how your computers and user accounts are configured so I'm going to use examples.

To find out the computer name, open Computer -> System Properties and you'll find the computer name listed there. (I'm sorry, I don't know what this is in Dutch)

To find out the username, open Command Prompt and type in

echo %username%

and press enter. The username should appear.

For this example:

Computer 1 will be called PC01

Username: Home User

Password: password1

Computer 2 will be called PC02

Username: 3D User

Password: password2

In your case, it sounds like you have different usernames and passwords on the two computers. This is what I have done.

When you connect from one computer to another, you need to enter the details in the following syntax (method):

Username: Name of the computer you want to connect to\username of that computer

Password: password of that user

You need to be aware of the backslash. It is not a forward slash.

For example, I want to connect to PC02 using PC01. The username and password I will use is this:

Username: PC02\3D User

Password: password2

If I wanted to do the opposite and connect to PC01 using PC02, this is what I would enter:

Username: PC01\Home User

Password: password1

If you have any questions or are confused by what I'm saying, feel free to reply.

@macpro622776

Thanks for your reply! I've done everything you said step by step. But unfortunately it didn't work on my machine. But maybe I made a mistake. It took 6 seconds before Windows said it was not right. And normally it would go inmediatly: wrong! So maybe I did something wrong. 

Just to be sure, I'll provide some extra info: 

@system properties I find that the Renderslave's computer name is: Gebruiker-PC

@Cmd Prompt I did: echo %username% (as you said) and it told me that the username is: Gebruiker

I log on with the password (e.g.) 123ABC.

So I go to my workstation, press via network on the computer: Gebruiker-PC. And it prompts for the Networkpassword. 

So my username is: Gebruiker-PC\Gebruiker and my password is: 123ABC. 

Could you confirm me if I did the following right? Or that I have made any mistakes what so ever. 

Could you confirm me if I did the following right? Or that I have made any mistakes what so ever. 

That looks right. Are you sure it's saying it's not right, or is it unable to connect to it? Also you might want to try going the other way around, so connect from Gebruiker-PC to your workstation.

@macpro622776

I tried it several times, in every possible way. But it just didn't do the trick. 

Also, i've removed the password of my Renderslave (it's not connected to a keyboard/mouse what so ever). And now it says: No Acces to \\GEBRUIKER-PC. You have no acces to \\GEBRUIKER-PC. Contact your networkmanager to get acces. 

So I think I'm a step further in tackling this problem.

I tried it several times, in every possible way. But it just didn't do the trick.

That's unusual. Have you tried restarting both computers? Also it might be worth trying to connect using their IP addresses rather than the computer name, but the username is still the same.

YESS

I'VE FIXED IT.

*NOTE: I'm Dutch and so is my Windows OS. I needed to translate all the right paths etc. so it can be possible that you need to put a little more effort finding it. 

For all the others that are also wrestling with this problem. Do the following:

- Control panel -> Network & Internet -> NetwerkCenter -> Adapter Settings

- Choose your network (wifi/LAN) and right click -> properties. 

- Disable Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).

This was doing the trick for me.