Setting up SSD in existing system

reedce1
Go to solution Solved by ForsakenLive,

Do you mean partitioning the existing drive to back up the files that are already on it, or the files in the ssd?  The reason I mentioned that I don't have any spare drives is because I've seen some guides that tell me to reformat the old drive so windows will recognize both, so does that only apply to new builds, or will windows just know that both drives are there after I boot from the ssd for the first time?

Ps. Thank you for replying so quickly

You can partition the free space on your HDD to create another virtual unit (example D: ) All you have to do is back up your documents, pictures, music etc there.

Then you unplug the hard drive, plug in the SSD (that is empty) and make a fresh windows install there (you can use the same key, as the system is still the same).

Once it's done you can plug back the old hard drive, but remember to tell the Bios the SSD is the device to boot from. And delete the partition that has the OS installed (which used to be C: ).

You can add the free space on the hard drive to the partition that has all your data, so nothing gets wasted. Windows will register the storage partition and it will be available to use.

I use EASEUS Partition Master, it's free, works flawlessly and is pretty user friendly. If you are going to download it, do it from the EASEUS website. 

Hi peoples,

First off, I'm hoping this is the right forum to post in.  I don't have an issue with my current set-up, but I need tech help, and this seemed like the most appropriate place to ask for it.

I'm buying a 120GB SSD that I want to install into my existing system.  Right now, I'm booting from a 1TB 7200rpm HDD, but I want to put my OS and some startup items onto the SSD.  I do not have a drive to back up my existing data onto, so I can't reformat anything.  I don't have additional budget for software (in case anyone wanted to reccomend a transfer software or something).

My specs (in case they help):

CPU: AMD FX-4300 @3.8ghz

GPU: Asus Radeon HD 7790 2GB

MB: MSI 970A-G43

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: Rosewill Stallion 500W

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600

Bios version: A.30

If there is a better place for this post, please tell me.

Edit: Another question: once the SSD is installed and the old drive is plugged back in, will all the programs on the old drive still work fine?

The best way would do to make a clean install on the SSD, you can back up all your files into the existing hard drive by creating a partition into it.

you can back up all your files into the existing hard drive by creating a partition into it.

Do you mean partitioning the existing drive to back up the files that are already on it, or the files in the ssd?  The reason I mentioned that I don't have any spare drives is because I've seen some guides that tell me to reformat the old drive so windows will recognize both, so does that only apply to new builds, or will windows just know that both drives are there after I boot from the ssd for the first time? Whoops, my bad.  What you said actually makes perfect sense.

I still have the question of startup programs (like my antivirus, drivers, etc.); will I have to reinstall all of these on the SSD, or can I transfer them onto the new drive?

Do you mean partitioning the existing drive to back up the files that are already on it, or the files in the ssd?  The reason I mentioned that I don't have any spare drives is because I've seen some guides that tell me to reformat the old drive so windows will recognize both, so does that only apply to new builds, or will windows just know that both drives are there after I boot from the ssd for the first time?

You can partition the free space on your HDD to create another virtual unit (example D: ) All you have to do is back up your documents, pictures, music etc there.

Then you unplug the hard drive, plug in the SSD (that is empty) and make a fresh windows install there (you can use the same key, as the system is still the same).

Once it's done you can plug back the old hard drive, but remember to tell the Bios the SSD is the device to boot from. And delete the partition that has the OS installed (which used to be C: ).

You can add the free space on the hard drive to the partition that has all your data, so nothing gets wasted. Windows will register the storage partition and it will be available to use.

I use EASEUS Partition Master, it's free, works flawlessly and is pretty user friendly. If you are going to download it, do it from the EASEUS website. 

If you are using Windows 7, you can use Windows Easy Transfer to make a file that contains all the stuff you want (Windows-profile, folders). You just save that file on your current HDD. You make a fresh install on the SSD, start up Windows Easy Transfer again and select the file you made earlier. This way, everything can be put back the way it was before.

Currently working on a Watercooled Corsair Obsidian 350D (clicky)

Intel i5 4670k, ASUS GTX 780, Samsung 840 Evo, 16GB RAM, 3 TB Seagate HDD

You two are the best, thank you so much!