Slow SSD write speeds

Hello! About 4 years ago I build my PC and bought a Corsair Force 3(60GB) to go with it. This was back when a 60GB SSD costed $80..

Now recently I have just learned my drives were using IDE/ATA  in the BIOS, thus why when running ATTO I had no write speeds over 220MB/s. Now that I have switched it over to AHCI, I am getting some impressive read speeds, but the write speeds have only a 25-100MB difference.

ATTO: http://prntscr.com/43pc95

AS SSD: http://prntscr.com/43pg5h

HD Tune Free 2.55: http://prntscr.com/43pgk2

The HD tune is what surprises me the most. I feel like the meter is fluctuating more an HDD would be. I've looked up the specs for the Force 3 and found it should be getting 510MB/s write. As you can tell in the pictures, I am getting nowhere near that.

Could it be because of age? Or might there be something else going on? The drive was used for probably a good 6 months before I upgraded to a 120GB Intel SSD for my main drive. It was being used for storage but recently has been cleaned. It's 98% free and no processes were running on it when I ran the tests.

Here are the results on the rest of my drives:

INTEL SSDSC2CT120A3:

- Runs Windows 7 and most programs on the computer

http://prntscr.com/43pn0u

My gosh, those read speeds! I don't even think that's possible on a SATA 3 port... Anyways, the read should be closer to 500MB and write should be near 400MB. 

HDD(160gb):

- Runs basically only AMD drivers..

http://prntscr.com/43ppf9

http://prntscr.com/43pqy4

Notice how the HDD fluctuates less then the SSD...

Thanks,

Bryan T.

are the ssd's sata 2 or sata 3? if they are sata 3 are they connected to sata 3 ports? cause if you connect a fast ssd to a slow port it will max out at the slower rate. (up to depending on what ssd's you have)  sata 2 =  300MB/s sata 3 =600MB/s

are the ssd's sata 2 or sata 3? if they are sata 3 are they connected to sata 3 ports? cause if you connect a fast ssd to a slow port it will max out at the slower rate. (up to depending on what ssd's you have)  sata 2 =  300MB/s sata 3 =600MB/s

All ports on my motherboard are Sata 3, 6GB/s(Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 Motherboard)

And the SSDs are all Sata 3.

WOW, that really dosnt make sense unless garbage collection isnt turned on or they have just been heavily used. my Corsair ForceGT gets around 200ish right speeds but it bounce higher and lower.

WOW, that really dosnt make sense unless garbage collection isnt turned on or they have just been heavily used. my Corsair ForceGT gets around 400-450 right speeds

How would I check if garbage collection is on/off?

And the drives have not been under much stress. They've been on continuously for 3.5 years but I have not written much to them.

Open up your command prompt and enter the following:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

and its really called TRIM but most people just say garbage collection.

Guys, you have been fooled by Sandforce.

These drives are not nearly capable of such speeds. They are using compression to achieve crazy speeds like 500MB/s on such small drives. In reality, a ASYNC based sandforce wont get more than 200MB/s read or ~200MB/s write, because flash just isn't fast enough.

@OP

I recommend reinstalling the OS (or atleast aligning it to proper 4k sectors) and then you make a backup of the whole drive. Once you've done that, do a secure erase (parted magic) and restore the image. Test with AS-SSD again and if you're getting ~180MB/s read and 70-80MB/s write, you're good.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

WOW, that really dosnt make sense unless garbage collection isnt turned on or they have just been heavily used. my Corsair ForceGT gets around 400-450 right speeds

Don't spread bullshit, because garbage collection can never ever be turned off.

If this was possible, drive would instantly become useless (because the moment you'd want to write something to it, it would simply collapse).

Open up your command prompt and enter the following:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

and its really called TRIM but most people just say garbage collection.

Dude, trim and garbage collection are two completly separate things. None says that.

Gargabe collection is a internal process within the ssd, that moves data around, erases the blocks and keeps things tidy.TRIM on the other hand is a simple command, that OS sends to the drive, when you delete something and tells the ssd that you really deleted something and that data can be treated as invalid (thus ssd avoids dragging that data around while doing wearlevelling).

Hmm i was quoting sandisks description of trim. If i was wrong bad on me.

And hojinkb these forums are meant to be friendly, to the best of my abilities i was giving advice on what i had read. It's unnecessary to be rude if someone is mistaken. 

HD Tune: Corsair Force GT Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 175.9 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 307.6 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 235.2 MB/sec
Access Time           : 0.2 ms
Burst Rate            : 233.9 MB/sec
CPU Usage             : -1.0%

I was curious how HD tune would rate my corsair ForceGT and although its better then your score its not as fast as my other ssd's

And this was AS SSD Benchmark for my 2 SATA 3 drives and 1 SATA 2 drive.

you will notice the OCZ agility 3 SATA 2 ran at a little better but almost the same as your corsair force thats SATA 3

Hmm i was quoting sandisks description of trim. If i was wrong bad on me.

And hojinkb these forums are meant to be friendly, to the best of my abilities i was giving advice on what i had read. It's unnecessary to be rude if someone is mistaken. 

I'm not being rude, just pointing out errors in your post. No one wants disinformation to be spread :P

Also, where exactly does Sandisk state, that trim and garbage collection are the same thing ? :blink:

And this was AS SSD Benchmark for my 2 SATA 3 drives and 1 SATA 2 drive.

you will notice the OCZ agility 3 SATA 2 ran at a little better but almost the same as your corsair force thats SATA 3

Little known fact; Agility 3 and Force 3 are IDENTICAL  drives :rolleyes:

Right but the agility 3 is sata 2 and the force drive is sata 3. I you look at the three screen shots of my 3 sad posted above you will see the drastic speed differences.

Looking at the AS SSD screenshot I would say that you're in the ballpark for that drive. The bothersome stat is the 31K bad, not the speed. This is now an old drive, tech speaking. It's only second gen and small to boot. If it's bothering you that much I would get a new modern drive and transfer everything over. Use it as a cache drive or something.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Right but the agility 3 is sata 2 and the force drive is sata 3. I you look at the three screen shots of my 3 sad posted above you will see the drastic speed differences.

No its not. Both drives are sata 3 6gbit as i've said before, they are IDENTICAL.

But in incompressible workload, they both can't even cap the sata2 speeds.