Anyone else notice how easy the upcoming z87 MPower MAX heatsinks look to paint?

Alcatraz

None of the z87 boards have excited me very much, so I will most likely end up painting one. The "leaked" MSI MPower MAX caught my eye, with how easy it looks to paint. Pretty much nothing other than the yellow heatsink accents on the board are yellow, so, if you're willing to paint over them, this board could go with a lot of different builds.

MSI_Z87_MPOWER_MAX_25-635x423.jpg

The MSI logo on the chipset looks kind of difficult though...

MSI_Z87_MPOWER_MAX_27-635x423.jpg

MSI_Z87_MPOWER_MAX_28-635x423.jpg

Here they are removed:

MSI_Z87_MPOWER_MAX_58-635x423.jpg

It looks like the yellow part might be completely removable from the rest of the chipset heatsink, which would make painting it a lot easier

MSI_Z87_MPOWER_MAX_59-635x423.jpg

And the the only other yellow part on the board is the "Audio Boost" thing, but it looks very easily removable/replaceable (it's like MSI tried to make this board painter friendly :D)

MSI_Z87_MPOWER_MAX_30-635x423.jpg

MSI_Z87_MPOWER_MAX_81-635x423.jpg

come on, painting a heatsink was never a problem. The problem is colored PCIe slots/PCB/ram slots. If these parts a black you can do what ever you want :D

come on, painting a heatsink was never a problem. The problem is colored PCIe slots/PCB/ram slots. If these parts a black you can do what ever you want :D

Yeah, the rest of the board being black is the best part. I get really annoyed taping up intricate heatsinks, though. It would only take about an hour to give this board a completely different theme color.   :)

remember, if you alter the board any RMA will be lost due to alteration.. this includes

color change to the heat sinks (paint)... just to let you know.

airdeano

remember, if you alter the board any RMA will be lost due to alteration.. this includes

color change to the heat sinks (paint)... just to let you know.

airdeano

I think most people who are at the stage where they are painting their heatsinks threw out the idea of using an RMA/Warranty ages ago.

you'd think that, but new platforms bring new problems and $150-$300 mobos with no warranty

is a super tough pill to swallow.

airdeano

I'd say it wouldn't be to hard to paint but I did see in a video that the MSI on the south chipset heatsink and the line separating the audio pcb and the rest of the motherboard are supposed to light up yellow. This would mean regardless of the colour your paint the heatsink, you would always have the yellow lights.

I'm not 100% sure on this but Tinytomlogan did mention it on his preview of this motherboard.

The Orange Box - Bitfenix Prodigy (Orange) / Asrock Z77E-ITX / Intel i5 2400 3.1GHz / Corsair H90 / 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 1600mhz / GTX 460 Super OC / Intel 60GB SSD / 1TB Seagate Barracuda / Seasonic G-Series 650W PSU

there are photos showing the under-side and there is no lighting provided. a colored

lens is there, just no electrical.

MSI_Z87_MPOWER_MAX_59-635x423.jpg

airdeano

As I said I wasn't 100% however that phot doesn't show much as the heatsink is covering the area that would line up with the MSI logo anyway. Tinytomlogan definitely mentioned it in his video (he might be wrong, however he is pretty clued up about these sorts of things. The boards are still under NDA for most of the features so we will have to wait and see)

The Orange Box - Bitfenix Prodigy (Orange) / Asrock Z77E-ITX / Intel i5 2400 3.1GHz / Corsair H90 / 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 1600mhz / GTX 460 Super OC / Intel 60GB SSD / 1TB Seagate Barracuda / Seasonic G-Series 650W PSU

As I said I wasn't 100% however that phot doesn't show much as the heatsink is covering the area that would line up with the MSI logo anyway. Tinytomlogan definitely mentioned it in his video (he might be wrong, however he is pretty clued up about these sorts of things. The boards are still under NDA for most of the features so we will have to wait and see)

What it could be is a small white led on the pcb that shines through that little yellow rectangle (a color lens, as airdeano said). If so, it would change color with the color of the heatsink, or could be easily covered up.

What it could be is a small white led on the pcb that shines through that little yellow rectangle (a color lens, as airdeano said). If so, it would change color with the color of the heatsink, or could be easily covered up.

Could be, that would be a dream for anyone wanting to paint it such as yourself.

Could be, that would be a dream for anyone wanting to paint it such as yourself.

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked for for my next rig.

Considering the amount of straight line you could probably cut a sticker and put it on the heatsink not to loose your warranty