Newcomer Custom PC build, Workstation/Gaming

BlownKapz

Hello community!

So I've been a fan of LinusTechTips'ses stuff for some time now, and finally want to get into building my own custom pc.

My current one is 4/5 y.o. and has endured quite a bit - all of those first ventures into pc tinkering have left their mark.

'twas a prebuilt pc I got from the local computer store, and in those 4 something years I have upgraded the GPU to a

XFX 7970 and the Ram to Corsair Vengeance 16gb @1600. THose two I'd want to carry over into my new rig, the rest is pretty much obsolete.

Without further ado, the planned rig itself:

CPU: Intel i7 4770k

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

MoBo: MSI Z87-G45

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb @1600

HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB

SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb

GPU: XFX 7970 3gb

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 (I may want to add another GPU so better have some space up right?)

Additionally I'll put some Noctua case fans here and there for good airflow, and an optical drive but I may just take that over from my current rig.

Any suggestions? Any problems that may arise? I know that the RAM might be too high profile for the noctua CPU fan to fit... I'll have to see about that.

I'm very nervous about all of this, its all rather expensive after all, so any comments are appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance for looking at yet another ''First cutom gaming pc build lolz'' :P

Greetings Kapz ;)

''The fist of justice is unisex'' -Batman

Wait did you already buy the CPU + mobo?

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Are you sure about the Noctua fans? They are great fans, but I'm worried that you have been influenced by how over-hyped they are. For the CPU, I would get a 4790k for around the same price because it has better thermals. Also, that power supply is overkill unless you are planning on doing crossfire in the future. 

Wait did you already buy the CPU + mobo?

Don't think so 

Hello and welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay.

Looks very good for a first try but I think I may be able to get you something a little bit better as you are wasting money on some parts. (Like the HDD. There is almost no difference between a Black and a Blue) 

Well honestly the build you made is good but get the 4790K and a Z97 Motherboard Asus asrock gigabyte msi all of them are good brands.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Are you sure about the Noctua fans? They are great fans, but I'm worried that you have been influenced by how over-hyped they are. For the CPU, I would get a 4790k for around the same price because it has better thermals. Also, that power supply is overkill unless you are planning on doing crossfire in the future.

He says he may want a second GPU and also I agree on the 4790k

WOW that was a whole lotta replies real fast O.o

I'll look into the i7-4790k, seems like consensus here is in favor of it :P

As for the HDD yeah the balc may be overkill, since most of the stuff I'll need to be quickly loaded etc will be on my SSD.

Cant find a blue 2TB on the german amazon or other local sellers, is a green also a viable option?

And yes I am really riding the noctua hype train, but from what I've seen/heard they are just amazingly quiet and still very good performance wise (and for 20€ I cant say no really), got any alternatives?

Hello community!

So I've been a fan of LinusTechTips'ses stuff for some time now, and finally want to get into building my own custom pc.

My current one is 4/5 y.o. and has endured quite a bit - all of those first ventures into pc tinkering have left their mark.

'twas a prebuilt pc I got from the local computer store, and in those 4 something years I have upgraded the GPU to a

XFX 7970 and the Ram to Corsair Vengeance 16gb @1600. THose two I'd want to carry over into my new rig, the rest is pretty much obsolete.

Without further ado, the planned rig itself:

CPU: Intel i7 4770k

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

MoBo: MSI Z87-G45

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb @1600

HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB

SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb

GPU: XFX 7970 3gb

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 (I may want to add another GPU so better have some space up right?)

Additionally I'll put some Noctua case fans here and there for good airflow, and an optical drive but I may just take that over from my current rig.

Any suggestions? Any problems that may arise? I know that the RAM might be too high profile for the noctua CPU fan to fit... I'll have to see about that.

I'm very nervous about all of this, its all rather expensive after all, so any comments are appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance for looking at yet another ''First cutom gaming pc build lolz'' :P

Greetings Kapz ;)

Great build :D But, i'd personally change this stuff, if it's within your budget, since you didn't give us any:

- I7 4790k, Better OC'er

-Z97 Mobo that supports CF

As for high profile RAM, i remember Linus doing a video on new Noctua D15, and he said that it's better than D14 and that it support higher profile RAM (if i remember correctly) :D

Great build :D But, i'd personally change this stuff, if it's within your budget, since you didn't give us any:

- I7 4790k, Better OC'er

-Z97 Mobo that supports CF

As for high profile RAM, i remember Linus doing a video on new Noctua D15, and he said that it's better than D14 and that it support higher profile RAM (if i remember correctly) :D

Yeah the D15 is supposed to be better but I didn't think it'd fit into the case since I read its 21,5 cm high while the case said 19cm is maximum. Looking at the noctua website it saus 165mm height though, so it should be fine. I'll probably upgrade to that then. :D