Thoughts on my first build?

will be ordering this most likely tomorrow from Scan.co.uk.

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-cm8064601710501) | £267.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk 
**Motherboard** | [MSI Z97M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97mgaming) | £109.13 @ CCL Computers 
**Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmz8gx3m1a1600c10) | £60.73 @ CCL Computers 
**Storage** | [samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7te250kw) | £84.99 @ Amazon UK 
**Video Card** | [MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n770tf2gd5oc) | £218.12 @ Scan.co.uk 
**Case** | [Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcaarcminir2blw) | £59.99 @ Novatech 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cs650m) | £65.40 @ Aria PC 
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-wn700615) | £79.14 @ Amazon UK 
 | | **Total**
 | Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | £945.23

I've decided to leave my options open for the future by buying the unlocked version of the 4790 along with a Z97 board. 

Would I be better in buying a different motherboard? I heard from another post that SLI on the board I have chosen will be hard, is this true?

The build will be used for editing (hence I will upgrade to 16gb ram when I need to) and gaming.

Thank you,
Blueprint

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

For editing, I would go with 16GB right off the bat. Also, 2 sticks for dual channel would be better. If you plan on SLI, I would suggest going with a reference 770 and a 750w PSU to save yourself from getting a new PSU if you do. 

SLI on the motherboard will work, but the top card will have very little room to suck in air. 

@Blueprint Good build the Twin Frozr cars are really good! the cooler on my 780ti from MSI does a great job!

I think that build is pretty good, nothing I would change

SLI should be fine, some boards allow you to use the bottom slot for a second GPU where as you will use slot 1 and 3, but the 770s are not too big that they will be touching or anything, they will just be close which is fine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You should start off with 16GB

R9 290 instead of the 770 (small upprice for big gains)

Seasonic, XFX or Superflower PSU.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

For editing, I would go with 16GB right off the bat. Also, 2 sticks for dual channel would be better. If you plan on SLI, I would suggest going with a reference 770 and a 750w PSU to save yourself from getting a new PSU if you do. 

SLI on the motherboard will work, but the top card will have very little room to suck in air. 

Isn't the RAM already dual channel? I was just going to buy another one and put it in with the other 8gb module. Also isn't 650 enough for SLI? And is this motherboard better for SLI? -> http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-z97mx-gaming-5-intel-z97-s-1150-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-hdmi-ma  (because the pci 3 lanes are further apart? are they?)

Sorry about all the questions, just want to make sure the build is ok. :)

Thanks,

Blueprint

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

will be ordering this most likely tomorrow from Scan.co.uk.

[PCPartPicker part list](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/B4qwyc

I've decided to leave my options open for the future by buying the unlocked version of the 4790 along with a Z97 board. 

Would I be better in buying a different motherboard? I heard from another post that SLI on the board I have chosen will be hard, is this true?

The build will be used for editing (hence I will upgrade to 16gb ram when I need to) and gaming.

Thank you,
Blueprint

It's a micro atx board, of course it will be hard to properly use sli. 

btw you can get windows 8.1 for alot cheaper on g2a.com for example. 

It's a micro atx board, of course it will be hard to properly use sli. 

btw you can get windows 8.1 for alot cheaper on g2a.com for example. 

Yep, I was going to get it from there. Just decided to put it on the part list so people knew I was getting it. :)

Why mATX for this? I'd go with a full-sized ATX if you plan on SLI.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Isn't the RAM already dual channel? I was just going to buy another one and put it in with the other 8gb module. Also isn't 650 enough for SLI? And is this motherboard better for SLI? -> http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-z97mx-gaming-5-intel-z97-s-1150-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-hdmi-ma  (because the pci 3 lanes are further apart? are they?)

Sorry about all the questions, just want to make sure the build is ok. :)

Thanks,

Blueprint

Dual channel requires 2 or more sticks in the system. 

650w isn't enough for SLI, no. It might be okay for everyday use and such, but under full load it won't be enough. 

And that motherboard will be around the same. That bottom PCIE slot is running at 4x, so you'd be wanting to use the 8x one above it anyway. 

Go for the R9 280X or the R9 290. 

Get a better PSU aswell, Corsair HX/AX series or a high end Seasonic PSU.

Social Links: LTT Forum    Website    Instagram    Twitter    YouTube    LinkedIn    Steam 

The Build

CPU Intel i7 4770k 4.4ghz Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z87 RAM 34gb (4 x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz GPU Evga GTX780 Classified Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Storage Samsung 840 256gb SSD PSU Corsair HX750 Display Achieva Shimian QH300-IPSMS 1600p Cooling Corsair H100i Keyboard Corsair K90 Mouse Corsair M65 Sound 3.1 Surround Sound Fans 2x Corsair SP120 PWM, 3x Corsair AF140 Q.E, and 1x Corsair AF120 Q.E.

Why mATX for this? I'd go with a full-sized ATX if you plan on SLI.

SLI is a possibility but I may just buy a new single card instead.

Dual channel requires 2 or more sticks in the system. 

650w isn't enough for SLI, no. It might be okay for everyday use and such, but under full load it won't be enough. 

And that motherboard will be around the same. That bottom PCIE slot is running at 4x, so you'd be wanting to use the 8x one above it anyway. 

Nvidia doesn't even let you run a Card in 4x so yeah...

Forgot to add, make sure you have adequate pressure optimised fans for decent airflow, especially if you are going down the sli/crossfire route in an MATX form factor. 

Social Links: LTT Forum    Website    Instagram    Twitter    YouTube    LinkedIn    Steam 

The Build

CPU Intel i7 4770k 4.4ghz Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z87 RAM 34gb (4 x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz GPU Evga GTX780 Classified Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Storage Samsung 840 256gb SSD PSU Corsair HX750 Display Achieva Shimian QH300-IPSMS 1600p Cooling Corsair H100i Keyboard Corsair K90 Mouse Corsair M65 Sound 3.1 Surround Sound Fans 2x Corsair SP120 PWM, 3x Corsair AF140 Q.E, and 1x Corsair AF120 Q.E.

Go for the R9 280X or the R9 290. 

Get a better PSU aswell, Corsair HX/AX series or a high end Seasonic PSU.

Why should I get an R9 290 or 280x instead? Is it really worth it? Aren't they very loud and also give off more heat? Also, I think CUDA will be good for editing, especially as I will be using Adobe software. 

Why should I get an R9 290 or 280x instead? Is it really worth it? Aren't they very loud and also give off more heat? Also, I think CUDA will be good for editing, especially as I will be using Adobe software. 

If you go for an aftermarket cooler, their noise levels are more than acceptable compared to the inferior stock coolers. I'm sure you can use OpenCL with Adobe. I was thinking in terms of price to performance, the 280x smokes the 770.

The Build

I personally do editing for money, as my job, under commission-based work.

With a smaller case, mATX motherboard, heat could very well be an issue with the 280x/290 (although I don't think it would be THAT bad by any means, especially with non-reference coolers). It would just...be physically noticeable if you were to, say, put your hand in the case, and GPU monitoring software would probably show that your cards are running on the hot side...But that goes for any cards that are going to be rendering or gaming.

As for editing, I use my two 770's. It's absolutely awesome, though it took some work to get them BOTH to work in Premiere and After Effects, while getting one to work with the programs was as easy as editing a file in notepad and then running the software for a 50x improvement over my 4770k (exaggeration, of course, but it's still way quicker).

Get a higher wattage PSU if you're set on SLI, but also look into getting a single card instead. I don't have it listed on my profile or anything, as I leave it in the office, but I do have an editing rig that I built using mATX that is using two 660's in SLI. Not optimal, I really wanted to shoot for a single-card solution (as you probably should), but I got them for $220 for both, brand new. Damn friends working for retailers. Same story with my 770's, saved $160 on them both in total, he works at Fry's.

I also side with everyone else telling you to get 16gigs of RAM right off the bat, or at least very soon afterwords, if you're editing frequently. RAM preview is a godsend, and with 8gigs of RAM editing 1080p footage, you wouldn't get too much out of it.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

I personally do editing for money, as my job, under commission-based work.

With a smaller case, mATX motherboard, heat could very well be an issue with the 280x/290 (although I don't think it would be THAT bad by any means, especially with non-reference coolers). It would just...be physically noticeable if you were to, say, put your hand in the case, and GPU monitoring software would probably show that your cards are running on the hot side...But that goes for any cards that are going to be rendering or gaming.

As for editing, I use my two 770's. It's absolutely awesome, though it took some work to get them BOTH to work in Premiere and After Effects, while getting one to work with the programs was as easy as editing a file in notepad and then running the software for a 50x improvement over my 4770k (exaggeration, of course, but it's still way quicker).

Get a higher wattage PSU if you're set on SLI, but also look into getting a single card instead. I don't have it listed on my profile or anything, as I leave it in the office, but I do have an editing rig that I built using mATX that is using two 660's in SLI. Not optimal, I really wanted to shoot for a single-card solution (as you probably should), but I got them for $220 for both, brand new. Damn friends working for retailers. Same story with my 770's, saved $160 on them both in total, he works at Fry's.

I also side with everyone else telling you to get 16gigs of RAM right off the bat, or at least very soon afterwords, if you're editing frequently. RAM preview is a godsend, and with 8gigs of RAM editing 1080p footage, you wouldn't get too much out of it.

Thank you, yeah I think i'll get another 8gb stick quickly after, especially if I notice it's holding me up when editing. 

Forgot to add, make sure you have adequate pressure optimised fans for decent airflow, especially if you are going down the sli/crossfire route in an MATX form factor. 

He'd want AF fans for that, not SP. But yes, good airflow will be a must for SLI in a small form factor. 

He'd want AF fans for that, not SP. But yes, good airflow will be a must for SLI in a small form factor. 

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction  :)

The Build

Thank you, yeah I think i'll get another 8gb stick quickly after, especially if I notice it's holding me up when editing. 

But, I'm biased! I come from a world where OpenCL wasn't supported, so I had to opt for nVidia if I wanted to get things done. Adobe has, as far as I know, added support for the R9 cards. I have no idea how they perform in an editing environment. The 280x is usually better than the 770 in gaming and such. I can't tell you how it does in editing though.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i