New PC is not detecting Ethernet Cable

EricPezz

I finished building my PC a couple days ago and now my ethernet cable just arrived in the mail. when i plug it in there is no detection of any networks. To make sure the cable wasn't a dub i plugged it into my laptop and turned off the wifi, and it worked. then i tried again with my desktop and it didn't work. anyone have any ideas?

the ethernet cable is a 150ft cat6 

PC--

Intel i7 4790k 

ASUS Maximus VII Hero

G.Skill Trident X 2400 MHz

Samsung Pro SSD 256GB

Western Digital 1TB Black

EVGA 780ti 

Corsair H100i

Corsair HX750

Processor- Intel i7 4790k Ram- 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz Motherboard- ASUS Maximus VII Hero GPU- EVGA Geforce GTX 780Ti 3GB Storage- 1TB Western Digital Black + 256GB Samsung Pro SSD PSU- Corsair HX750 Cooling- Corsair H100i
Operating System- Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit Case- Cosrsair Obsidian 450D Display- ASUS VX238H Mouse- Corsair Vengeance M65 Keyboard- CM Storm QuickFire TK

^^^That

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

That's what I had to do before I could get on the Internet, so do that. It worked for me.

Yup, ethernet driver. Download the most recent driver from your mobo manufacturer's website onto a flash drive and pop it into your new rig and install.

Yup, ethernet driver. Download the most recent driver from your mobo manufacturer's website onto a flash drive and pop it into your new rig and install.

yeah, you might have to download off a different computer or just use the disc that came with your motherboard then update.

You most likely skipped installing the Ethernet driver, or it didn't install properly. Either way, insert the CD that came with your motherboard, search around for what you need to click on to install the driver, then once you've got it installed, make sure to then go online and get the latest driver since the one on the disc is most likely out of date

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

yeah, you might have to download off a different computer or just use the disc that came with your motherboard then update.

Haha, thought we were putting two and two together here.  :P

yup that was the problem, when i first installed the drivers from the mobos disk it came with i thought i installed everything but i guess not

Processor- Intel i7 4790k Ram- 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz Motherboard- ASUS Maximus VII Hero GPU- EVGA Geforce GTX 780Ti 3GB Storage- 1TB Western Digital Black + 256GB Samsung Pro SSD PSU- Corsair HX750 Cooling- Corsair H100i
Operating System- Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit Case- Cosrsair Obsidian 450D Display- ASUS VX238H Mouse- Corsair Vengeance M65 Keyboard- CM Storm QuickFire TK

Pretty sure everyone before me got you covered :lol:

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches