Sound Blaster Cinema 2 - settings crash

peterpepo
Go to solution Solved by x-eagleeye-x,

I am not sure, whether does it work with speakers, I wanted to say that "Software doesn't crash when i set it on analog output instead of digital.

Thanks for claryfying things for me :)

And does it crash, when you set the SBC2 to Optical-Digital ?

So, solution for me would be that Dolby Digital Live (DDL) Sound card, right ?

What's the purpose / how does this card work ? It takes games surround sound (5.1 or 7.1), encode it to Dolby Digital and send to optical output ?

Does these cards usually comes with some software, that could emulate surround from my "stereo only" games / movies - that is Dolby Pro Logic, right ?

As this card need to process the sound, is there any notable lag ?

Edit: I checked Xonar DX - it's missing optical output ;(

No problem. I did try changing the setting, and it didn't crash on me. You need a sound card that has Dolby Digital Live. A lot of higher end X-Fi sound cards and the new Recon3D sound cards from Creative have that feature. For Asus, give the Xonar Essence STX a look. All this sound card talk makes me want to buy a dedicated card lol.

Hello,

have someone experienced this ?

I have latest version downloaded from MSI's web site.

I can switch between music, movie etc no problem.

But when I click on settings button (highlighted on picture), I get the message shown in picture and the application crashes.

post-68660-0-80981700-1405446312.png

Yeah, soundcard drivers are just about the worst pieces of software in the history of mankind.

Have you fixed it ? Or how do you configure 5.1 sound ?

I bought toslink cable because of this, and now I am running in 2 channel mode ;(

Have you fixed it ? Or how do you configure 5.1 sound ?

I bought toslink cable because of this, and now I am running in 2 channel mode ;(

I'm completely unfamiliar with these drivers, so I don't know how you can fix the crashing issue. Have you tried reinstalling?

What media are you using to try and setup surround sound? S/PDIF only supports stereo natively, so to have multichannel audio through S/PDIF it needs to be encoded in a certain Dolby or DTS format.

I'm completely unfamiliar with these drivers, so I don't know how you can fix the crashing issue. Have you tried reinstalling?

What media are you using to try and setup surround sound? S/PDIF only supports stereo natively, so to have multichannel audio through S/PDIF it needs to be encoded in a certain Dolby or DTS format.

Ok, i tried Counter Strike Source with 5.1 settings, but nothing happens.

Then i downloaded some 5.1 test video, on the audio-video receiver DOLBY DIGITAL lightens up and sound is working perfectly.

Anyway, i was hoping, that Sound Blaster Cinema will be able to transform 2 channel music/video/games or those games as cs source into S/PDIF.

Reinstall didn't work btw.

^^does anybody really don't know ?^^

Posts like this are probably better suited to the Troubleshooting sub. I don't think most people around these parts bother with audya drivers. Srry.

Anyway, i was hoping, that Sound Blaster Cinema will be able to transform 2 channel music/video/games or those games as cs source into S/PDIF.

I don't think there's any free software that does this. So basically, this is that once instance in which you actually need a soundcard, specifically one with Dolby Digital Live.

Movies are pre-encoded and don't need to be encoded on-the-fly. Games are not pre-encoded, and do need to be encoded on-the-fly.

I don't think there's any free software that does this. So basically, this is that once instance in which you actually need a soundcard, specifically one with Dolby Digital Live.

Movies are pre-encoded and don't need to be encoded on-the-fly. Games are not pre-encoded, and do need to be encoded on-the-fly.

Do you have some reccomendation for card like this ?

One of reasons, why I bought this motherboard was it's "dedicated" sound card, so i was hoping, that it will be able to do it for me.

Or does exist some specialized software for this ? I woudln't hesitate to purchase it, if the price was normal and such software existed.

Sound Blaster Cinema 2 isn't part of a driver package. It's basically an add-on app for some of MSI's motherboards. I have a MSI Z97 Gaming 7 and I have not yet encountered this problem. I am fairly certain it isn't a driver issue. Perhaps it's a problem with the installation of the app. Try uninstalling it first. I recommend Revo Uninstaller if you want to do a clean sweep and remove absolutely everything associated with SBC2. Then try to reinstall the app.

Hit us up once you've tried it.

Ryzen 5 2600 OCd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.275v l Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wifi l MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super

GSkill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 l NZXT Kraken M22 AIO l Deepcool Macube 310P

Do you have some reccomendation for card like this ?

One of reasons, why I bought this motherboard was it's "dedicated" sound card, so i was hoping, that it will be able to do it for me.

Or does exist some specialized software for this ? I woudln't hesitate to purchase it, if the price was normal and such software existed.

I think the Xonar DX is the cheapest card with DDL.

Sound Blaster Cinema 2 isn't part of a driver package. It's basically an add-on app for some of MSI's motherboards. I have a MSI Z97 Gaming 7 and I have not yet encountered this problem. I am fairly certain it isn't a driver issue. Perhaps it's a problem with the installation of the app. Try uninstalling it first. I recommend Revo Uninstaller if you want to do a clean sweep and remove absolutely everything associated with SBC2. Then try to reinstall the app.

Hit us up once you've tried it.

x-eagleeye-x -> and does it have function, that I am awaiting from the software ?

Is it able to transform surround to Dolby Digital, or transform 2 channel sound to surround ?

Please give me some info, what is that software capable of. So I would know, if it's worth hassling and reinstalling (because I have already tried to reinstall it). Btw, I am using Win 8.1 x64 pro.

Interesting to see, that you have Msi Z97 Gaming 7 too -> how does your sound card show up in Control Panel -> Sound => in default playback mode i can select only 2 channel modes, not surround.

x-eagleeye-x -> and does it have function, that I am awaiting from the software ?

Is it able to transform surround to Dolby Digital, or transform 2 channel sound to surround ?

Please give me some info, what is that software capable of. So I would know, if it's worth hassling and reinstalling (because I have already tried to reinstall it). Btw, I am using Win 8.1 x64 pro.

Interesting to see, that you have Msi Z97 Gaming 7 too -> how does your sound card show up in Control Panel -> Sound => in default playback mode i can select only 2 channel modes, not surround.

The audio chip inside our motherboard does not have real-time Dolby Digital encoding, so you are not going to be able to produce audio in Dolby Digital. If you are converting 2-channel audio to surround sound, that would be Dolby Pro Logic, and the motherboard doesn't have that feature either.

SBC2 has a feature that will simulate surround sound though, and I think it works quite well. Better uninstall the application then reinstall it.

Ryzen 5 2600 OCd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.275v l Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wifi l MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super

The audio chip inside our motherboard does not have real-time Dolby Digital encoding, so you are not going to be able to produce audio in Dolby Digital. If you are converting 2-channel audio to surround sound, that would be Dolby Pro Logic, and the motherboard doesn't have that feature either.

SBC2 has a feature that will simulate surround sound though, and I think it works quite well. Better uninstall the application then reinstall it.

How will it simulate ?

If I understand you correctly, it won't transform it to DOlby Digital, it will rather use my front speakers to emulate surround ?

One more thing comes to my mind: what number version of SBC are you using ? Could you try to upload your installer somewhere and provide me a link ? Maybe the latest version from MSI website is corrupt.

Edit: I have come to something interesting - when i switch OPTICAL HD Audio in SBC2, or Set it to automatic (and in windows I select optical as Default) -> the problem occurs.

When i switch to Speakers / in windows i select speakers as default (analog connection), software works.

Interesting. Could you try it on optical output please ?

SBC2 has a feature that will simulate surround sound though, and I think it works quite well. 

Are you sure it works for speakers? Usually virtual surround is designed with headphones in mind.

How will it simulate ?

If I understand you correctly, it won't transform it to DOlby Digital, it will rather use my front speakers to emulate surround ?

One more thing comes to my mind: what number version of SBC are you using ? Could you try to upload your installer somewhere and provide me a link ? Maybe the latest version from MSI website is corrupt.

Edit: I have come to something interesting - when i switch OPTICAL HD Audio in SBC2, or Set it to automatic (and in windows I select optical as Default) -> the problem occurs.

When i switch to Speakers / in windows i select speakers as default (analog connection), software works.

Interesting. Could you try it on optical output please ?

The same version as you. The software won't work on a digital connection because it defeats the purpose of using a digital connection in the first place. You are going to use optical or s/pdif if you have an external hardware decoder for the digital signal. SBC2 will not transcode a 2-channel signal to a Dolby Digital signal. I was only replying to your post about getting SBC2 to work again after seeing your error message. Try the CD that comes with our motherboard. The install file will be there.

Are you sure it works for speakers? Usually virtual surround is designed with headphones in mind.

He just clarified now that he is using speakers and not headphones, so I wouldn't know.

I am not sure, whether does it work with speakers, I wanted to say that "Software doesn't crash when i set it on analog output instead of digital.

The same version as you. The software won't work on a digital connection because it defeats the purpose of using a digital connection in the first place. You are going to use optical or s/pdif if you have an external hardware decoder for the digital signal. SBC2 will not transcode a 2-channel signal to a Dolby Digital signal. I was only replying to your post about getting SBC2 to work again after seeing your error message. Try the CD that comes with our motherboard. The install file will be there.

He just clarified now that he is using speakers and not headphones, so I wouldn't know.

What's the purpose / how does this card work ? It takes games surround sound (5.1 or 7.1), encode it to Dolby Digital and send to optical output ?

Does these cards usually comes with some software, that could emulate surround from my "stereo only" games / movies - that is Dolby Pro Logic, right ?

No problem. I did try changing the setting, and it didn't crash on me. You need a sound card that has Dolby Digital Live. A lot of higher end X-Fi sound cards and the new Recon3D sound cards from Creative have that feature. For Asus, give the Xonar Essence STX a look. All this sound card talk makes me want to buy a dedicated card lol.

All this sound card talk makes me want to buy a dedicated card lol.

Mee too :)