windows shortcut bugs

Wiff

Sometimes when I start up the pc, the Icons on my desktop arent there were they should, and this happens pretty often. This is so annoying, does anyone know how to fix this? I am using Windows 8.0 64bit

This bug should not happen. Sounds to me like the resolution changes by your graphics drivers when they are being loaded.

What is your graphics card? Did you try the latest drivers?

Also, Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade and waiting for you, you should definitely get it.

This bug should not happen. Sounds to me like the resolution changes by your graphics drivers when they are being loaded.

What is your graphics card? Did you try the latest drivers?

Also, Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade and waiting for you, you should definitely get it.

Nvidia geforce gt 750M 4GB GDDR3

I am using the drives from about Dec 2013

get Geforce experience and update your drivers

[spoiler=My Beast Rig Damocles]Case: Coolermaster Storm Stryker Motherboard: Asus x79 deluxe CPU: Intel I7 4960x @3.6GHz (soon to be oc) RAM: Kingston HyperX 64GB @2400MHz GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) @4GB PSU: Corsair RM1000 Fully modular CPUCooler: Corsair H100i Watercooling Storage: Seagate 2TB SV35.6 SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"   x2  Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR sound card

This is my old pc which I am reamending to be a media server or a nas. Motherboard: Generic fujitsu CPU: Intel pentium G640 @2.8 GHz RAM: 4GB generic fujitsu memory PSU:  CPUCooler: Stock intel cpu cooler Storage:  Fujitsu MHZ2120BH @120GB, Soon to have a HDD for more storage. 

_ASSASSIN_ Jerakl 

Nvidia geforce gt 750M 4GB GDDR3

I am using the drives from about Dec 2013

I have a GeForce 260, a Quadro NVS 160M, Intel integrated graphics HD4400, and I really don't have this issue. And it's definitely something I would have noticed.

When you install the Nvidia drivers, go under advanced, and check the box to do a clean install. On your way remove all the Nvidia 3D stuff, which I am sure you don't have the equipment for, like most people. Personally I remove everything beside audio and video drivers of the GPU.

Are you running any 3rd party software that's designed for altering your desktop? As an example, I run Stardock Fences 2.0, and Rainmeter, and on occasion, they bug out and all my icons get either shifted out of the fences onto my desktop is a massive jumble of overlaying icons, or worse yet, it overlays them all in the same area. Those are both rare occurences, with the latter only happening 2x in the 8 months I've had this laptop, but that's usually the cause for me.

Anyway, another possible cause could be outdated drivers, or perhaps, multiple drivers. Having multiple drivers for the same card I've found, sometimes causes an issue where one's used during boot, and then the proper one is used shortly after, butt his causes a temporary resolution change that screws up all the icons. This is a rare issue I've only personally encountered once, and encountered on repairs about 9 times over 5 years.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Are you running any 3rd party software that's designed for altering your desktop? As an example, I run Stardock Fences 2.0, and Rainmeter, and on occasion, they bug out and all my icons get either shifted out of the fences onto my desktop is a massive jumble of overlaying icons, or worse yet, it overlays them all in the same area. Those are both rare occurences, with the latter only happening 2x in the 8 months I've had this laptop, but that's usually the cause for me.

Anyway, another possible cause could be outdated drivers, or perhaps, multiple drivers. Having multiple drivers for the same card I've found, sometimes causes an issue where one's used during boot, and then the proper one is used shortly after, butt his causes a temporary resolution change that screws up all the icons. This is a rare issue I've only personally encountered once, and encountered on repairs about 9 times over 5 years.

no, i am not running 3rd party programs, I am also not running this windows shell thingy

Make sure your drivers are up to date then. Pretty sure Dec. 2013 is outdated :P

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Make sure your drivers are up to date then. Pretty sure Dec. 2013 is outdated :P

there is a reason why I dont update them, with the latest drivers all games lag so much (low fps). With the newest drivers the old Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005) has about 20 FPS

By all games, do you mean all old games? I'm running a 765M 2GB, so a slightly weaker card, and the only time I have weird frame rate issues is with older games. Could try running the games in compatibility mode if they're older, might fix lag issues