Third Party Apple Cables

SwiZ

Hey!

Recently my thirdparty lightning cable from Belkin ( Apple's official third party cable) died. Before that I had 4 official Apple cables. My cousin gave me now a third party cable from Spain that cost around €0,50 and it's working pretty fine!

My question is, are those unofficial third party cables safe? Should I use it until I have a new official cable? Or are there unofficial lightning cable that are pretty good?

Thanks!

Hey!

Recently my thirdparty lightning cable from Belkin ( Apple's official third party cable) died. Before that I had 4 official Apple cables. My cousin gave me now a third party cable from Spain that cost around €0,50 and it's working pretty fine!

My question is, are those unofficial third party cables safe? Should I use it until I have a new official cable? Or are there unofficial lightning cable that are pretty good?

Thanks!

You don't need official cables. Everyone buys the lightning connectors from Apple anyways so the copper is the only difference.

monoprice.com has good ones.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

A lady here in Australia recently died because her third party apple charger decided to put 240v through the USB cable, killed her when she picked the phone up.

But that was a complete charger, not just a cable, I'm sure it's fine :P

A lady here in Australia recently died because her third party apple charger decided to put 240v through the USB cable, killed her when she picked the phone up.

But that was a complete charger, not just a cable, I'm sure it's fine :P

It would have destroyed the phone before it killed her though...and probably blown a fuse in it even before that happened.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It would have destroyed the phone before it killed her though...and probably blown a fuse in it even before that happened.

Nope, she completed the circuit when she touched the phone.

Nope, she completed the circuit when she touched the phone.

That doesn't make sense because there is no way that the electricals are connected to the phone. They are heavily insulated from it. There must be more to this story. Source?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Thanks everyone! The reason why I don't want to buy the official one's its because they cost around €20 in belgium!

That doesn't make sense because there is no way that the electricals are connected to the phone. They are heavily insulated from it. There must be more to this story. Source?

It actually happened, saw it everywhere. "heavily insulated" lol, ever took apart a phone? Once she completed the circuit she got fried :(

You don't need official cables. Everyone buys the lightning connectors from Apple anyways so the copper is the only difference.

Not exactly. With the official ones they buy the connectors from Apple, but the unofficial ones...not so much. This was especially true when the iPhone 5 first came out--people were making lightning cables, HOWEVER, they were charge only cables as theres a controller inside the lightning cable allowing it to be reversible. This controller is often missing from unofficial cables. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It actually happened, saw it everywhere. "heavily insulated" lol, ever took apart a phone? Once she completed the circuit she got fried :(

Well they aren't heavily insulated, that was a mistake for me to say that. Rubber is generally fine though.

I wasn't asking for the source because I didn't believe him, I was asking for the source because I wanted to read more about it.

Not exactly. With the official ones they buy the connectors from Apple, but the unofficial ones...not so much. This was especially true when the iPhone 5 first came out--people were making lightning cables, HOWEVER, they were charge only cables as theres a controller inside the lightning cable allowing it to be reversible. This controller is often missing from unofficial cables. 

I was not aware of that. My mistake.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /