HSA on linux

alamox

source : http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/HSA-Linux

"AMD has just published a massive patch-set for the Linux kernel that finally implements a HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture) in open-source. The set of 83 patches implement a Linux HSA driver for Radeon family GPUs and serves too as a sample driver for other HSA-compatible devices. This big driver in part is what well known Phoronix contributor John Bridgman has been working on at AMD."

Source : http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors...Standalone-GPU

comparaison of gains using nvidia gpu on APU, benching on luxmark, shows what could be expected from more software using HSA.

this seem quiet interesting to me, HSA is another tech that AMD took interest in, that looks promessing to me.

on windows not that many software is using it, but when you think about steamOS, and how linux has an open window into evolving with new software and new creations, could be great to see HSA taking a real focus from software developers on linux, on top of having a console like OS for gaming, that already focuses your resources, you get even more efficiency on it's management.
the resuts could be so far beyond what windows offer, that gives me hope of linux taking off and even taking over windows, beh maybe i am too optimistic.
but as the pcper.com little bench showed not only AMD, but even Nvidia stand to win alot with this.

Good news, next couple of years should be very interesting

I wonder when we will start seeing some really higher end APU's for this sort of thing.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Well this is interesting, all of the sudden an APU makes a lot more sense since I would expect this implementations to come out a lot faster on Linux which is already quite nimble.

-------

Current Rig

-------

when you think about it console like OS + HSA + Mantle ( if AMD ports Mantle on linux, they showed interest, and with HSA enforces that ), the gain could be from 100% to 150%, then mid range PC on windows will run at 1080p 120fps on steamOS as a norm.

or 4k @ 60fps.

it's harder for me to wait for steamOS, exciting times for pc gamers ahead.

I'm still waiting for big games like Mass Effect to come to Linux. When that happens i'll make the jump or in this case leap.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

just all the compute performance I hope this allows AMD to sell more CPUs for server aplications so they can spend a lot more money on R&D for new CPUS