Computer Not Starting

ArduousFormula
Go to solution Solved by SunriseRedeemer,

Hi,

To start I would re-seat the GPU and make sure that any power cables that need to be connected to it are in fact connected, and I would also re-seat the RAM and make sure it is in securely. Also make sure that all of the PSU cables needed to power the computer are in place 4-pin for CPU etc..

Hope this helps as a starting point.. 

My System:

i5 3570k

XFX 7870

Asus P8Z77 - V LX

8GB Corsair Vengeance

500GB Seagate

Corsair CX600

The computer was cleaned as per the instructions on Linus' video and, when I put the system back together, the computer fails to start.

When plugged in, the LED for power is working. This tells me that the mobo must be working to some extent as this is working; however, this is just a simple circuit so another part of it may be broken.

When switched on, the fans in the case fire up but only for less than a second. The CPU fan doesn't start (it usually starts about 2 seconds into it being switched on) but no other noises or visual signs appear. The monitor is plugged into the GPU via HDMI so I believe it is unrelated.

I am sure there aren't any problems with bios or software as the system was working flawlessly for the past two years beforehand; the only change has been in hardware therefore that must be the problem.

What has changed:

I took the GPU out of the PCI slot and I unplugged the hard drive. I did some minor cable management so the power to the motherboard was removed. I have checked the obvious of these not being plugged in but, as I said, the power LED on the mobo is on.

All parts of the computer system were sprayed with an air duster and the GPU was brushed clean with a paint brush as it was a bit tough to remove the dust. I deliberately didn't do the areas that were heavily populated by chips with a brush but I am still using a stock cooler on the CPU which was blasted directly by air, as was the RAM.

After dissasembling the computer, I left the parts on the table overnight. This was the hard drive and the GPU. They were left on notepads so were elevated from the static-generating tablecloth. I assembled my computer on it to start with and hadn't hada problem before.

The air duster I used:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Duster-Compressed-Flammable-400ml/dp/B000O1HRHE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405071588&sr=8-2&keywords=air+duster

I noticed that sometimes the duster outputs the gases in a liquid form. I alternated between the two so that they didn't get too cold however I noticed a small build up of this stuff. Isopropane, propane and butane are - to my knowledge - not conductive so I thought nothing of it.

Thanks for any help you can provide, I cannot bear this laptop for too long :(

ArduousFormula

Hi,

To start I would re-seat the GPU and make sure that any power cables that need to be connected to it are in fact connected, and I would also re-seat the RAM and make sure it is in securely. Also make sure that all of the PSU cables needed to power the computer are in place 4-pin for CPU etc..

Hope this helps as a starting point.. 

I think that I should be banned from this forum as a punishment for the height of my stupidity. The Hard drive power cable was in fact not put in because it was in such an awkward spot.

I apoligise for wasting everyone's time and I will mark this thread as solved and thank you for your help in reminding me to check the obvious but elusive part.

ArduousFormula