New motherboard for an old PC

Hello,

Yesterday I found an old PC built in 2004 and I want to fix it. The problem is that it when I press the power button, I can hear the fans spin up for about a second, then power off. I already tried replacing the PSU, but that didn't fix it. I assume the mobo is broken and when I have to replace an old one (it's an ASRock Prescott 800 P4i65g), I might as well get a modern one with a new CPU. Can you suggest me any parts? I need a new motherboard, CPU, 2 gigs of RAM and a PCI card with an IDE port.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

the new pentium or an fx 4300-6300/760k

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

the new pentium or an fx 4300-6300/760k

Pentium's too good for it. I think I'll go with the Celeron G1620.

This PC is so old that it has PGA478.

ouch

well if you can find LGA 775 socket CPU

you will still be able to use the board I suggested for the IDE port

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

ouch

well if you can find LGA 775 socket CPU

you will still be able to use the board I suggested for the IDE port

Would probably be a lot more expensive than just going for LGA1155 and getting a PCI IDE host adapter.

Would probably be a lot more expensive than just going for LGA1155 and getting a PCI IDE host adapter.

those IDE host adaptor are known to either work or plain just don't work kind

you have been warned

ebay, but i'd try re-seating everything first and just start with a GPU and ram, see if it'll post.

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

ebay, but i'd try re-seating everything first and just start with a GPU and ram, see if it'll post.

Already tried it, still doesn't work.

How many beeps does the main board put out from the speaker?

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

How many beeps does the main board put out from the speaker?

No beeps. I can only hear the fans for about half a second and the POST usually takes up to 2 seconds

The only socket 478 mb IK still being manufactured for repairs is the Asrock P4I65G

It's SATA btw ;)

That's the current mobo, actually. I know that there are 2 IDE ports on it, the 2 optical drives are connected to one in a master-slave config. The hard disk is SATA.

I will not buy it. My local store doesn't sell them and having Amazon ship it to my country would be too expensive. I think I'd be better off going for LGA1155. Also, the CPU cooler is a little damaged and I wouldn't use that.

are you sure it isn't the CPU?

Could be. That's why I'm going to replace both the CPU and the mobo.