Car speaker help?

MrMiniBeast

So three of the four door speakers in my car dont work and need to be replaced (and yes I'm sure its the speakers and not the wiring). I'm looking for 6.5 inch speakers with 40-60 watts RMS that have good sound quality for less than $30 a pair. Thanks for the help.

FX 8350 | MSI 650ti BOOST | Gigabyte 970A-UD3P | Corsair CX 430

Diablotek Evo | WD Caviar Green 1TB 

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

So three of the four door speakers in my car dont work and need to be replaced (and yes I'm sure its the speakers and not the wiring). I'm looking for 6.5 inch speakers with 40-60 watts RMS that have good sound quality for less than $30 a pair. Thanks for the help.

honestly, if you have a older car, any aftermarket speakers will be great. you might want to get a new head unit to though. they cost about 100$, but make a world of difference. I'll see if i can find what we put in my sisters car. they cant bump any bass or anything, but I would say they are slightly better then new stock speakers, which, have come quite a way

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A1685R-Series-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B00A0LYU2S/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1404959444&sr=8-16&keywords=6.5+car+speakers what is in my sisters car. 46$ for a pair. Im not a car audio expert by any means, but I love my audio technica m-50s, and have what i believe to be a keen ear, and I personally will buy this for my first car. 

have you tried pulling out the head unit and just making sure the wires didnt come undone? i used to do car systems and i would personally go with some pioneers. a lot of the times if your resplice the wire to each "dead" speaker it may bring them back to life. or you may have just blown them but then again your ears must be bleeding(of course i personally love my metal music to blow my el pantelones off)

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

well i tested the impedance on the one working speaker using a multimeter and got 7.5 (its marked as 8) and i tested the busted ones and got numbers like 170 so im pretty sure its not the wiring. 

Also I don't want to replace the header unit at least for now, I'm just wondering what the best budget speakers would be for me to buy.

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

have you tried pulling out the head unit and just making sure the wires didnt come undone? i used to do car systems and i would personally go with some pioneers. a lot of the times if your resplice the wire to each "dead" speaker it may bring them back to life. or you may have just blown them but then again your ears must be bleeding(of course i personally love my metal music to blow my el pantelones off)

if you go the splice route to save money please please for the love of god label each wire with painters tape i dont know how many time my friends have tried it and called me and were like i dont remember what wire goes where then i had to drag my ass out there!

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

well i tested the impedance on the one working speaker using a multimeter and got 7.5 (its marked as 8) and i tested the busted ones and got numbers like 170 so im pretty sure its not the wiring. 

Also I don't want to replace the header unit at least for now, I'm just wondering what the best budget speakers would be for me to buy.

even with a multimeter the current going to speaker if the wires were fubar(ed) it would cause unaccurate readings

I'll also mention that I'll be putting a infinity reference 1060w sub in with a clarion apx400.4 amp in.

I don't think this should change what speakers I should get but I thought i should throw it out there.

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

look Im not just BSing like normal!:D

liked for the metal. what is up!

Im guessing that because they are dead, they are crap old car speakers anyway. so you would really benefit from new speakers. Unless your on a really tight budget id just flat out just buy more instead of trying to repair. but I love music, and to some it doesn't matter as much so. 

even with a multimeter the current going to speaker if the wires were fubar(ed) it would cause unaccurate readings

Well I was testing restistance not current and the car wasn't on ???

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

look Im not just BSing like normal! :D

Im guessing that because they are dead, they are crap old car speakers anyway. so you would really benefit from new speakers. Unless your on a really tight budget id just flat out just buy more instead of trying to repair. but I love music, and to some it doesn't matter as much so. 

i only said that if he was indeed on a tight budget

look Im not just BSing like normal! :D

yup they're stock speakers on an 04 subaru and I'm looking to replace them

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

I'll also mention that I'll be putting a infinity reference 1060w sub in with a clarion apx400.4 amp in.

I don't think this should change what speakers I should get but I thought i should throw it out there.

I personally know very little about subs, but if your getting one, you might need to splurge a bit more to make sure the sub doesn't overpower your mids and highs. 

I personally know very little about subs, but if your getting one, you might need to splurge a bit more to make sure the sub doesn't overpower your mids and highs. 

im getting a great deal on used ones so I can't control which ones I'm getting/

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

i used subs maybe twice?? and i just had too many problems with them and they in the end just cause issues so i will not looking into those like ever. decent speakers will get you where you need to be. and music runs my life so im not just bsing :)

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

i used subs maybe twice?? and i just had too many problems with them and they in the end just cause issues so i will not looking into those like ever. decent speakers will get you where you need to be. and music runs my life so im not just bsing :)

my friend has 6 12inch subs. I'll see if I can find a picture. I havent heard it in person though. but it looked godly. there was a truck a senior had last year at my high school, had 4 15's. personally Im more into post hardcore so it doesnt matter much to me. Im looking at subs because my first car is a POS and is loud, so you need to overpower all the road noise!:D

im getting a great deal on used ones so I can't control which ones I'm getting/

I meant like, when you crank your sub all the way up, it might be way louder then your other speakers, Thats just a guess though. so was just giving you a heads up, because you might benefit from spending a bit more to get louder speakers. you probably wont have a issue, but make sure you test out your sub and such while still in the return period for the speakers. 

OH GOD hell no please for the love of god do not go with dual. they are god awful the sound does not make your music feel full. i believe dual is a walmart brand if not partnered with walmart but either way please dont go with them. in the end its your choice but i strongly advise against that choice

you do not have to get that specific model i just personally used those and never went to another company. sony also makes decent car speakers as well.

OH GOD hell no please for the love of god do not go with dual. they are god awful the sound does not make your music feel full. i believe dual is a walmart brand if not partnered with walmart but either way please dont go with them. in the end its your choice but i strongly advise against that choice

haha it was the first one i saw on amazon.

I just want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

honestly, if you have a older car, any aftermarket speakers will be great. you might want to get a new head unit to though. they cost about 100$, but make a world of difference. I'll see if i can find what we put in my sisters car. they cant bump any bass or anything, but I would say they are slightly better then new stock speakers, which, have come quite a way

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A1685R-Series-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B00A0LYU2S/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1404959444&sr=8-16&keywords=6.5+car+speakers what is in my sisters car. 46$ for a pair. Im not a car audio expert by any means, but I love my audio technica m-50s, and have what i believe to be a keen ear, and I personally will buy this for my first car. 

to reiterate  you will see a huge difference with a new head unit

something like this will work

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CDXGT270MP-Stereo-Receiver-Front/dp/B008V9934G/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1404960600&sr=1-5&keywords=sony+head+unit

haha it was the first one i saw on amazon.

I just want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck

you scared me for a second :)

to reiterate  you will see a huge difference with a new head unit

something like this will work

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CDXGT270MP-Stereo-Receiver-Front/dp/B008V9934G/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1404960600&sr=1-5&keywords=sony+head+unit

well i may upgrade it in the future but im not going to at the time being because it costs a lot with the wiring harnesses and everything so should i just get some $30 name brand speakers then and look for a header unit down the line if i want to improve sound quality?

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

The Devil Wears Prada coming through my turtle beach's as we speak :)))))