Overheating 5770

My friends XFX 5770 (locked bios and one xfire finger version) temps were just climbing so I replaced the thermal paste and the pc no longer BSODs and runs fine but are these temps normal 74*C idle and 70% fan speed. I ask because that's what my old sapphire 5770 would be at benchmarking and idle it would be at only 30% fan or something should I RMA his card.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Definitely not normal - especially at 70% fan speed. I would try to RMA but they might give you grief about taking it apart and reapplying the thermal paste :(

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

not normal that's like the card is in the oven try RMA  and don't mention replacing the thermal paste :P :D

RMA it is.

Would XFX send the same card considering it's almost a 3 generation old card.

Depends on the warranty. I had an MSI R557 PMD1G have a fan failure recently. MSI offered to replace the card without any issue. They refurbish them and send you refurbished ones if they're older cards.

Go for the RMA, although, if they decline, for whatever reason, a little DIY can go a long way in terms of keeping your card alive. Changing the TIM isn't that difficult or time consuming.