Asus B85 Pro Gamer + G3258 can overclock?

Hi there,

I looking to build another budget build. so just look around and found out that the anniversary edition Pentium G3258 is quite nice and can handle my task well(Office documentation work and videos playback?) so i wondering can it run on the Asus B85 Pro Gamer board and OC it?

I got a spare Cooler Master Seidon 120v cpu cooler so the cpu will be running cool under oc, but just i want to know can it overclock on that board. at Asus website i found this latest bios for this board and the description written as:

B85-PRO GAMER BIOS 2001
Support Intel® Pentium® Anniversary Edition CPU (G3258).

So it means support only or it means can overclock?

Will be running some Gaming ram on it. Most probably Kingston HyperX 1600MHz or Avexir Core 1600MHz and if can i would add a ssd to the system.

Graphic card will added in the future if needed. Rest of the parts i had already. (PSU, Case, HDD)

My 2013 First Build
Processor : Intel i7 3930K | Motherboard : Asus Rampage IV GENE | RAM : 2x Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x4GB Kit (Mix color black and red) | Graphics : Asus GTX 680 Direct CU II OC | SSD : Intel 520 Series 120GB | Cooler : Corsair H100i | PSU : Corsair AX760 | Chassis : Corsair Obsidian 650D | Mouse : Razer Mamba 4G Edition | Keyboard : Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013

That board is generally only slightly cheaper than a z97 board so you might as well just spend a bit more and get a Z97 board.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

It will support it but you won't get much Overclock on that but why not get a z97 board, there are tons of cheap z97 out there.

That board is generally only slightly cheaper than a z97 board so you might as well just spend a bit more and get a Z97 board.

But the Z97 board that have a closer price range to the B85 Pro Gamer is lack of Intel nic and just running normal realtek audio. even though it had M.2 support but i think i'm not using it also. I want the board to be ATX if possible cause having a 300r

It will support it but you won't get much Overclock on that but why not get a z97 board, there are tons of cheap z97 out there.

can give some cheap z97 board for me? particularly Asus or Gigabyte (my area seldom have MSI supplier and online shopping will took months for warranty if anything happens) and preferrably ATX form factor

My 2013 First Build
Processor : Intel i7 3930K | Motherboard : Asus Rampage IV GENE | RAM : 2x Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x4GB Kit (Mix color black and red) | Graphics : Asus GTX 680 Direct CU II OC | SSD : Intel 520 Series 120GB | Cooler : Corsair H100i | PSU : Corsair AX760 | Chassis : Corsair Obsidian 650D | Mouse : Razer Mamba 4G Edition | Keyboard : Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013

can give some cheap z97 board for me? particularly Asus or Gigabyte (my area seldom have MSI supplier and online shopping will took months for warranty if anything happens) and preferrably ATX form factor

Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3

MSi Z97 PC mate

Asrock Z97 anniversary

Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3

MSi Z97 PC mate

Asrock Z97 anniversary

Thanks. If i put the G3258 into any of this board or Asus Maximus VII Ranger, will all features supported or some will be dissable?

My 2013 First Build

Thanks. If i put the G3258 into any of this board or Asus Maximus VII Ranger, will all features supported or some will be dissable?

Everything will work maybe some OC features won't work but that's all. 

Everything will work maybe some OC features won't work but that's all.

Thanks mate. will try to look around find the best solution.

BTW, does G3258 on z97 board support 1600mhz ram?

My 2013 First Build

BTW, does G3258 on z97 board support 1600mhz ram?

Not totally sure about that but you can set it at 1600mhz in the bios and that is guaranteed to work.