[Build Log] frigidi aeris, 250D, copper tubing, VI impact, 780 Lightning,

Freaky_spider

It's a skill you'll inherit eventually. :lol:

keyword, eventually -.- :P

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

keyword, eventually -.- :P

Could be today, could be 50 years from now. At least you'll get to there.

I am sad to announce that this will be delayed

updates will be rare, im sorry guys, i need this pc for school and i cant afford to loose it even if its just for a weekend, i have to much writing to do on this thing :(

ill probably sleeve the 8 pin cable i have as a spare and clean and install the rads, but that will probably be it untill the next break (in 1.5 month) :(

im really sorry guys. ill see when i can get some work done, maybe mod a panel for a window as currently non of the panels are on

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I am sad to announce that this will be delayed., updates will be rare, im sorry guys, i need this pc for school and i cant afford to loose it even if its just for a weekend, i have to much writing to do on this thing :(

I'll probably sleeve the 8 pin cable i have as a spare and clean and install the rads, but that will probably be it until the next break (in 1.5 month) :(

im really sorry guys. ill see when i can get some work done, maybe mod a panel for a window as currently non of the panels are on

I'll be waiting :) & hey you might even see me open my build log near the end of 2014 :P

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I'll be waiting :) & hey you might even see me open my build log near the end of 2014 :P

ill be looking forward to that!

• 3 weeks later...

So after some tinkering in my mind how to solve the problem with the height of my 780 lightning ive come to the conclusion that i have 3 options

-sell the lightning + the block

-buy a 970 + a block

OR

Sell the 250D

Sell the 140mm rad

buy a 280 mm rad, a rad shroud and a second 140mm rad

buy a bitfenix phenom

OR

Keep the lightning

remove the window that has overhang that and interferes with the lightning blcok

make a new window that doesnt interfere

make a cut in the upper left support beam because that will interfere with the 90° fitting that will come out of the block

Ill probably go with the first or second option 

What do you guys think? any other suggestions?

also, next update will be in about a month when i have 9 days off, hopefully ill finish it then

So after some tinkering in my mind how to solve the problem with the height of my 780 lightning ive come to the conclusion that i have 3 options

-sell the lightning + the block

-buy a 970 + a block

OR

Sell the 250D

Sell the 140mm rad

buy a 280 mm rad, a rad shroud and a second 140mm rad

buy a bitfenix phenom

OR

Keep the lightning

remove the window that has overhang that and interferes with the lightning blcok

make a new window that doesnt interfere

make a cut in the upper left support beam because that will interfere with the 90° fitting that will come out of the block

Ill probably go with the first or second option 

What do you guys think? any other suggestions?

also, next update will be in about a month when i have 9 days off, hopefully ill finish it then

At this point, selling the lightning makes most sense imo.

If you can get a decent chunk of your cash back, i think it'll be worth it

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

At this point, selling the lightning makes most sense imo.

If you can get a decent chunk of your cash back, i think it'll be worth it

i agree, 

ill still lose money, but its the option where i can keep the most of my parts and probably lose the least amount of money

also, the 250D is too beautifull to sell :D

i agree, 

ill still lose money, but its the option where i can keep the most of my parts and probably lose the least amount of money

also, the 250D is too beautifull to sell :D

Who knows, maybe you could wait till october or whenever non-reference 980s become available and get a lightning 980? :P

JK reference cards are way better for watercooling, i only got my lightning 290x because it was an absolute steal

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Who knows, maybe you could wait till october or whenever non-reference 980s become available and get a lightning 980? :P

JK reference cards are way better for watercooling, i only got my lightning 290x because it was an absolute steal

yea, my 780 was a steal too

350€ euro? looking back shouldnt have bought it, this would have been finished already, not having to wait 1 month for the block killed my shedule

Well it sucks that one of the three option is to get rid of the Corsair obsidian case or the buy anew gpu
Part of the purpose of developing a mod is so that you will feel comfortable removing bits of material from your case etc

@Norman_the_Owl next time only quote the part that is actually necessary

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

AAANDDD

i found a steal on a 780ti with a block  :wub:

450€, faster then a 970 and the same price (if you include the block that is)

AAANDDD

i found a steal on a 780ti with a block  :wub:

450€, faster then a 970 and the same price (if you include the block that is)

Nice, I didn't even consider a 780ti. That's practically a 980, for most intensive purposes

Well it sucks that one of the three option is to get rid of the Corsair obsidian case or the buy anew gpu

Part of the purpose of developing a mod is so that you will feel comfortable removing bits of material from your case etc

@Norman_the_Owl next time only quote the part that is actually necessary

I thought it would have been an easy +3mm height mod

but i never saw that the preinstalled windows had a +-1cm bump on the inside, and removing the upper left support beam is gonna make the case a bit more flimsy (i intend to travel with this)

Nice, the dude i bought my GPU from has the new world record on 3d mark 11

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/219645-new-3dmark-11-record-by-a-dutch-guy/

• 1 month later...

Hello again!

Its vacation this week, so what is gonna happen you might ask?

SLEEVING! NEW GPU! 

thats about it equally, but im really excited

Im trading my 780 lightning for a MSI gtx 970 Gaming, i know there arent blocks for those YET, but EK has confirmed that there will be, and im only gonna put this guy underwater next holiday (15 decembre ish - 10 Januari ish)

Hello again!

Its vacation this week, so what is gonna happen you might ask?

SLEEVING! NEW GPU! 

thats about it equally, but im really excited

Im trading my 780 lightning for a MSI gtx 970 Gaming, i know there arent blocks for those YET, but EK has confirmed that there will be, and im only gonna put this guy underwater next holiday (15 decembre ish - 10 Januari ish)

Yeah yeah :) sweet Freaky spider.

Hello again

i got good and bad-ish news, 

i dont have a crimping tool, so im getting that (hopefully) tomorrow, BUT! ,im getting my GPU totday! :D

ive dismantled 24 of the 94 pins

But im getting the hang of it, so expect all the cableing to be done this weekend :D

Color sheme's im gonna be using

(B = Black, O = Orange)

8Pin GPU

B-O-B-B

6Pin GPU

B-B-O

24 Pin

B-O-B-B-B-B-B-O-O-B-B-B

8 Pin EPS

B-B-O-B

now, if you stitch The 24 pin and the 8 pin EPS together you get an symetrical layout :D same with the 6 pin GPU and the 8 pin GPU

very excited to see the sleeving! subbed

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Hello!

I received my 970, looks like its not even used, everything is still sealed :D

Pictures :D 

121fz2u.jpg

11t1ydg.jpg

2yv839i.jpg

25yvyfc.jpg

I got an extended weekend, i cant promise anything, but ill try to sleeve the 8 pin EPS and *maybe* the 24 pin, im pretty sure the GPU cables will be done by then.

@Freaky_spider if you get a chance to mod the gpu if you don't ruin water-cooling you should 300% spray paint it white with light grey & dark yellow accents & put your name on it xD