Driver update inquiry

Xtreme Gamer

My brothers laptop may need a graphics driver update. And I know how to do it. But which would you guys do, geforce experience driver updater, or downloading the driver from Nvidias site itself?; the only thing is that I am scared that something can go wrong during the update because it's a dell laptop and I thought that you could only get updates released from the company who made your laptop. Or can you get updates from the company who made your specfic part(s)? I don't know... Can anyone put my fears on this to rest at all? Thanks!!!

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

If you have geforce experience installed just update the drivers from there. If not, you can go to http://www.nvidia.ca/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and select your video card. Then just choose the latest (non-beta) driver and update it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you have geforce experience installed just update the drivers from there. If not, you can go to http://www.nvidia.ca/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and select your video card. Then just choose the latest (non-beta) driver and update it.

So nothing bad can happen if I dont update my gpu driver from dell? only from nvidia?

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

So nothing bad can happen if I dont update my gpu driver from dell? only from nvidia?

You can't update it from dell...only nvidia has the correct drivers for their GPUs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can't update it from dell...only nvidia has the correct drivers for their GPUs

Im asking if nothing bad can happen from updating laptop drivers. I've never messed with it before and am VERY nervous/scared.

Im asking if nothing bad can happen from updating laptop drivers. I've never messed with it before and am VERY nervous/scared.

If you're so scared, why do you want to update them? Just leave it as it is...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! xD

Spoiler

If you're so scared, why do you want to update them? Just leave it as it is...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! xD

Because my brothers laptop is getiing bad framerates on a game he's playing and I thought that updating the driver would help. But then I thought "its a laptop" so i got scared of doing it. Can/would updating the drivers help in framerates?

Because my brothers laptop is getiing bad framerates on a game he's playing and I thought that updating the driver would help. But then I thought "its a laptop" so i got scared of doing it. Can/would updating the drivers help in framerates?

Updating drivers on a laptop is the same as on a desktop, you just need to choose the right mobile GPU when choosing the drivers.

It should be an improvement. Many games get fps boosts with nvidia driver updates, it all depends on which game.

You should have no problems updating drivers on the laptop, but it is always recommended to make backups or restore points :)

Spoiler