Old laptop and SSD compatibility questions

So I'm thinking about upgrading my old laptop and I had questions on some compatibility.

Here are the detailed specifications for my laptop:

Toshiba Satellite C655-S5142: http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2865618&isFromTOCLink=false

Here are the SSDs I'm looking at:

PNY Optima: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178720

Crucial MX100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148820&cm_re=crucial_mx100-_-20-148-820-_-Product

Will I run into some issues when I install? It looks like my board has a Sata 1 interface so I'm kinda skeptical that I'll run into some problems. The PNY Optima is on sale today so quick answers would be appreciated. Keep in mind I'm going for a price to performance SSD and my laptop is really old so I'm not looking to spend much money on it. Thanks.

Hopefully I can get some advice before sale ends? (Which is today)

You should not run into any compatibility issues, and your laptop should be a Sata III (6.0Gbs) as that spec sheet is dated 2011 and Sata III has been the standard since 2008.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Thanks for the reply.

But is the spread sheet date a good indication of the laptop's spec? It would be so much easier if the motherboard's model was clear cut and I look up the specs. On CPU-Z it says my main board is "Toshiba Portable PC Base Board Version." I've googled it but haven't seen any clear cut indications.

Out of curiosity, Would you pick the Optima or the Crucial MX100 in my situation?

Thanks for the reply.

But is the spread sheet date a good indication of the laptop's spec? It would be so much easier if the motherboard's model was clear cut and I look up the specs. On CPU-Z it says my main board is "Toshiba Portable PC Base Board Version." I've googled it but haven't seen any clear cut indications.

Out of curiosity, Would you pick the Optima or the Crucial MX100 in my situation?

If you don't want to go by the spread sheet days then you know the laptop was made after July 22nd 2009 as that was the RTM date for windows 7, so even by that date you should have Sata III.

As for choice of drive, I would just go with the cheapest one which in this case is the PNY. There SSDs aren't terrible and are a good low cost SSD

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Nice insight. As for the next step, clean install or clone? Do special drivers need to be DLed from specific website for a crappy laptop like mine? haha Or is Windows auto updates enough to take care of everything?

Nice insight. As for the next step, clean install or clone? Do special drivers need to be DLed from specific website for a crappy laptop like mine? haha Or is Windows auto updates enough to take care of everything?

Fresh install is the way I would go. Unless you use a third party software like CloneZilla, Microsoft's clone tool does not react well to hardware changes especially when the drive size changes. For drivers, Windows will probably go out and download most of what it needs. If it only loads some basic drivers, then I would go out and update them from the manufactures website.

Thanks you've been a big help. Will update once I receive my ssd and try everything out.