Audio Recording/Mixing Computer

xRussox

Ok, i will try to keep this short since i'm not that smart about computers (yet) ... 

I need something that I can use to run software like ProTools or Sonar (Recording software) record multiple songs, mix them and add a lot of pluggins to the tracks as i go. Also i need it to be as silent as possible since I record most of the vocals at the same place ... not like 2 rooms to do it, just my room.

Budget ? = None at the moment ...

I want good stuff but don't need expensive stuff or huge numbers on my pc, like i don't really need 32 gb of ram, or a Titan to run graphics, just need to have good parts to take the pressure of the processor ... 

I don't know if my way to put it is clear enough, my english is not that good as it is and tech stuff is even harder for me.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Big hug to everyone from a friend in Colombia

I currently run protools on my MSI GT60and runs buttery smooth. now for silence I would suggest  using a macbook air (I hate them but they are great for protools and are pretty quiet. if you want you can go about building a mini ITX PC in a small form factor case that is meant for silence.

I preffer a laptop to be honnest though because of how much easier they are to move when doing portable recording 

I am not familiar with ProTools, but I have heard great things about Macs for a recording rig. A great idea, and one I chose to do, is to build a hackintosh, where you build a mac out of off the shelf PC parts. You can learn more about it at: tonymacx86.com It is actually quite simple to do, and you can get the combination of PC parts for a good price and performance, and the mac OSX software. 

I am not familiar with ProTools, but I have heard great things about Macs for a recording rig. A great idea, and one I chose to do, is to build a hackintosh, where you build a mac out of off the shelf PC parts. You can learn more about it at: tonymacx86.com It is actually quite simple to do, and you can get the combination of PC parts for a good price and performance, and the mac OSX software. 

the problem with macs as rec rig is that its actually kinda hard to find drivers for most of the tools 

protools is the industry standard for audio recording 

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-Professional-recording-creation-software/dp/B0061ZPCUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368942904&sr=8-2&keywords=protools

the problem with macs as rec rig is that its actually kinda hard to find drivers for most of the tools 

protools is the industry standard for audio recording 

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-Professional-recording-creation-software/dp/B0061ZPCUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368942904&sr=8-2&keywords=protools

Oh ok, thanks for the link. It seems like pro tools are compatible with both, but I guess the drivers are a different story. 

I already have a recording interface (tc electronics konnect 6) and not planning on getting a new one since i don't really have any money so far.

That interface is Firewire so i need a computer with firewire ... also ... i know Mac is a good option but here (and i think everywhere else) it's tooooooo expensive ... i don't really know much, hackintosh is a good option but as stated in the first part of my post ... no idea how and don't really know if the parts are noisy or not, if they are a lot and it's going to be underused or not.

If you can list me like the parts you advice me, or link me to someone directly that can help me, i would appreciate it.

Sorry if annoying to read me or understand me ... 

I already have a recording interface (tc electronics konnect 6) and not planning on getting a new one since i don't really have any money so far.

That interface is Firewire so i need a computer with firewire ... also ... i know Mac is a good option but here (and i think everywhere else) it's tooooooo expensive ... i don't really know much, hackintosh is a good option but as stated in the first part of my post ... no idea how and don't really know if the parts are noisy or not, if they are a lot and it's going to be underused or not.

If you can list me like the parts you advice me, or link me to someone directly that can help me, i would appreciate it.

Sorry if annoying to read me or understand me ... 

with hackintosh you have to buy VERY specific parts for it if you build a computer or if you buy a laptop and plan to hackintosh it. and yes apple is expensive EVEYWHERE

I rather have a PC than a laptop, so I can "pimp it out" in the future, a laptop as far as i understand, is more like "you get what you bought" 

I like Mac but it's too expensive for the kind of money i make ... would have to save like 2 or 3 years to buy one.

If you get the right laptop you can update the CPU GPU RAM HDD/SSD 

Still not enough if i ever get big hardware like the UAD 2 or some accelerator card like that ... 

That needs it's space, that's why i'm more into a pc than a laptop, but i do "know" that there are some laptops that can be modded ... 

If you do go with ProTools, their official forum is a GREAT resource (duc.avid.com). I've learned a lot from that community (but of course there are plenty of RTFM posts there as well). Here is a very long thread about building the best price/performance recording machine. There's also a Spanish section of the forum.

My personal recording rigs have always been on Windows, but I typically spec MacBooks for clients. Avid historically has tested/qualified Mac systems first. I always recommend buying a qualified system for professionals and new users,. (PT Mac , PT Win ). In my experience, Protools has more compatibility issues than any of the competitors, so I normally start by matching the Protools specs just in case I decide I want to install Protools later.

Gearslutz.com is another good recording forum if you're new to computer audio.

You're on the right path about no Titan-- many audio editing programs don't even spec a dedicated graphics card. 8 or 16 gigs of RAM will will be useful if you're running virtual instruments. You will absolutely want two physical drives - one for your OS and programs, and the other to be a recording drive. (A single drive sometimes works OK for small recordings of one or two instruments).  

I can't speak to quiet builds other than to say my impression is the other forums I listed are less focused on the nuts and bolts of BYOPC; the people here will probably be more helpful. The other forums can give you sound proofing tips and probably recommend a good KVM extender.

If you're not aware, this summer's ProTools 11 release is a major rewrite. The system just went 64bit, and we're all waiting to test stability.

A decent recording machine should cost significantly less than a serious gaming rig.  I would start by picking the software I want to use.  What are you using now?  Why are you building a new machine (You have an interface, so... did your old machine die?  Is there something specific you want out of the new system? Or have you never used the Konnect 6?)

good luck!

Really?  Are you talking interfaces or controllers?  It's been my experience that most pro/prosumer USB and Firewire audio and MIDI devices require a driver to be installed on Windows, but Mac tends to be plug and play.  

(Really not trying to start a fight here, I'm just curious if you can let me know which manufacturers are getting this wrong).

thanks

Really?  Are you talking interfaces or controllers?  It's been my experience that most pro/prosumer USB and Firewire audio and MIDI devices require a driver to be installed on Windows, but Mac tends to be plug and play.  

(Really not trying to start a fight here, I'm just curious if you can let me know which manufacturers are getting this wrong).

thanks

I agree with u, i work on a MacPro and a iMac, they are awsome for music and video producing with softwares like Logic Pro or Garage Band. But he just said that its only for Pro Tools, so i believe that he dont need that lot (Mac) to do that kind of stuff, i used a old pc for ProTools, it was a Windows XP, Core 2 Duo, with only a MBOX(but the most expensive one) and that was enough.

Ill try to biuld a nice rig at http://pcpartpicker.com/ and send on this thread.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YF4T
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YF4T/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($169.00 @ Microcenter) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM  Liquid CPU Cooler  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX  LGA1155 Motherboard  ($114.98 @ Outlet PC) 
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($126.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($129.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($132.56 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1GB Video Card  ($146.09 @ NCIX US) 
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($187.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($138.99 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.49 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1320.05
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-20 17:57 EDT-0400)

I think that's a lot for music editing but its more future proof for that kind of software.

Theodore Cain: Nah my machine is ok ... just TOOOOO old ... it's been with me for like 10 years and not a single improve to it ... i think it's not possible to improve.

Plus i'm running out of machine to mix and master, as you might now, this step of the process takes A LOT of memory and my pc runs on 2  gb on win xp sp3 ... 

I currently work in Sonar, but i do need to have protools because some clients just dont trust other DAWs 

Also i rather have a PC than a Mac ... just because ... MONEY !!! ... if i fall in some random pit of money, Mac all the way ... but since money IS an issue, PC is my way to go.

I don't have a size of recordings ... i sometimes record HipHop (not more than 16 tracks) ... sometimes hardcore (more than 32 tracks) so I need a good PC 

Thank you all for the input, everything you can add to this post will be really taken with a lot of gratitude since i'm not that smart about this, the few things I know i've learned them thru watching Linus (no kissing ass) ( I don't know how I ended up on his youtube channel anyway, youtube takes you to weird places after a while) but it's been a blast and i try to remember as much as possible.

If you (the people that knows) get to a consence on "what this guy should buy to have something good but not pricy" ... i would love to see the list of parts and if possible links to the stuff.

Anyway ... thank you ... sorry the long post and the crappy english

thanks

at the school i learned at has protools 11 and mountain lion and was having a ton of problems (and still are) they have tried to use a different macs. I hooked up my gt60 to all the set ups and had no problems and same for the other windows computers. Its usually external harware that messed the mac up.  

around 75% was plug and play yes, but the other 25% we never could get to run on mac

at the school i learned at has protools 11 and mountain lion and was having a ton of problems

So are you guys using beta software?  Or did you just get 11 in?  The avid site says PT11 coming soon, and musiciansfriend and guitar center say shipping in June.  Do you know if they got it early because they're a school?

I'm very interested in testing the software, and it looks like OP is in the market for PT11 as well.  

Aside from hardware compatibility issues on the Macs, how's the performance of the new software?  Any plug in issues?

It would help if you could give us a "guesstimated" budget.

Something like this will be super quiet: http://gyazo.com/9798da62430f3edc0dc87bc244ff29b2

Sapphire Radeon Ultimate Edition 7750 for gpu: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Ultimate-PCI-Express-Graphics-11202-03-40G/dp/B007M8SGJA

The case is silence optimized.

The wd caviar red is one of the most quiet hdds (the 3tb one specifically. The 1tb has a flimsier enclosure and can rattle a little bit but the 3tb model should be nearly silent.)

The psu is also nearly silent. (For actual silence, seasonic has fanless psus but they start at about $150 and rising.

The Noctua NH-D14 comes with fan adapters that can make the 140mm fans rotate slower to near silence especially since you're not overclocking.

The 7750 is passively cooled and should be adequate for light gaming. 

Again, knowing your budget would help a lot.

Edit: Awkward moment when your gpu is not your loudest part, but your most quiet.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Edit: Just saw previous post

I don’t think he needs the Xonar sound card, the TC interface is the primary audio device.  We want to do a dedicated graphics card here, but is the 7750 overkill for just drawing meters?  Edit: but quiet is good, and I was thinking just over $100 for graphics anyway

xRussox,

Do you run any virtual instruments? (samplers or soft synths?)  I’m just wondering if you need another drive for samples (You could always upgrade later).

Do you have a DVD drive on your current machine that we can use in the new build to save some money?  (Is it SATA or PATA?)

Edit: Just saw previous post

I don’t think he needs the Xonar sound card, the TC interface is the primary audio device.  We want to do a dedicated graphics card here, but is the 7750 overkill for just drawing meters?  Edit: but quiet is good, and I was thinking just over $100 for graphics anyway

xRussox,

Do you run any virtual instruments? (samplers or soft synths?)  I’m just wondering if you need another drive for samples (You could always upgrade later).

Do you have a DVD drive on your current machine that we can use in the new build to save some money?  (Is it SATA or PATA?)

I'm not too experienced in the audio area so..umm okay. 

The 7750 is a bit overkill but the headroom is nice to have. Personally, I don't like doing lower than the 7770 but what the hey--in the pursuit of silence!

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I generally dig WoodenMarker's build.

But I'm far from a hardcore system builder (I build my personal desktops, but always buy prebuilt for clients)

7750 looks like a good choice.

I wanted to clarify my last post, OP said he has a USB audio interface (TC Konnect 6) that will be his primary audio device.

I don't really use much Virtual Instruments but it's something that I have to have the option in the future, so ... the option of getting drives later is a great way to go (budget wise)

I was thinking on 2 types of drives ... don't remember the names ... one "old one" and one "new one" (SSD?) ...

Sorry if i don't know how to quote to correctly respond to your comments ... will learn it one day :D

I don't need a sound card since I already have one, and the gamer kind of soundcard is not enough for me (not saying they are bad, but for my application is not enough), but i do want (cuz i don't know if need) a dedicated video card to take stress of the motherboard (if that's correct)

I was thinking:

- Core i7 (No idea what the rest of the numbers mean)

- 16 gb of ram 

- Need a motherboard with firewire in ... or a slot for the PCIe firewire card i have on my actual PC

- Dedicated video card  (No idea which one, a lot of names in the internet)

- Power supply to move the system (no idea about this) 

- Simple case ... nothing fancy, nothing huge, just a case.

- Optical drive (blueray or something like that)

If leaving something out, do tell ... 

Sorry again, i know i'm not too smart on this issues, and since linus always says this is a great place, i'm here to "use" you guys :D

EDIT: No budget at the moment ... this is just planning since I just got a job a few weeks ago and i'm paying money at the moment, but I want to know how much would it be so as soon as i can start saving, i know my goal.

I don't really use much Virtual Instruments but it's something that I have to have the option in the future, so ... the option of getting drives later is a great way to go (budget wise)

I was thinking on 2 types of drives ... don't remember the names ... one "old one" and one "new one" (SSD?) ...

Sorry if i don't know how to quote to correctly respond to your comments ... will learn it one day :D

I don't need a sound card since I already have one, and the gamer kind of soundcard is not enough for me (not saying they are bad, but for my application is not enough), but i do want (cuz i don't know if need) a dedicated video card to take stress of the motherboard (if that's correct)

I was thinking:

- Core i7 (No idea what the rest of the numbers mean)

- 16 gb of ram 

- Need a motherboard with firewire in ... or a slot for the PCIe firewire card i have on my actual PC

- Dedicated video card  (No idea which one, a lot of names in the internet)

- Power supply to move the system (no idea about this) 

- Simple case ... nothing fancy, nothing huge, just a case.

- Optical drive (blueray or something like that)

If leaving something out, do tell ... 

Sorry again, i know i'm not too smart on this issues, and since linus always says this is a great place, i'm here to "use" you guys :D

EDIT: No budget at the moment ... this is just planning since I just got a job a few weeks ago and i'm paying money at the moment, but I want to know how much would it be so as soon as i can start saving, i know my goal.

Here's a baller version of the original build post I suggested. http://gyazo.com/c7ee8a5b9d28ee6462c082b0634a29a5

Add to the list the 7750 ultimate edition and you got yourself quite the overkill audio editing rig.

Edit: The original build I suggested should also fit your needs. This is mainly to show the upper limit of things.

So are you guys using beta software?  Or did you just get 11 in?  The avid site says PT11 coming soon, and musiciansfriend and guitar center say shipping in June.  Do you know if they got it early because they're a school?

I'm very interested in testing the software, and it looks like OP is in the market for PT11 as well.  

Aside from hardware compatibility issues on the Macs, how's the performance of the new software?  Any plug in issues?

we just got 11 about a week ago. I think we got it from A: being a school B: we are on the phone calling tech support all the time and thought that maybe that fix bugs