Two gpu question

AbsoluteFenrir
Go to solution Solved by SeanBond,

Yes it does, a relative often orders from there but the shipping and the importation fees are gonna be massive... 

I wish there was a better solution, the 770 seems like the only safe bet without needing aftermarket cooling but if you were going to get aftermarket cooling you should probably upgrade from that old card anyway. So my final opinion, either get the 770 or the 6950 with aftermarket cooling.

Hi I'm new to the forum but I've lurked a bit for the past few months. Just wondering why everyone here thinks the 780 Ti is not worth it, though I can prolly guess.

The second question is pretty much my real question.

So for various reasons I'm not living in beautiful Canada anymore and I'm living in a tropical climate, it's really freaking hot here, like 30-35C every freaking day from 11 am to 5 pm. 

My old 285 isn't used to this heat and crashes after 10 min or so of heavy game play. 

Now my problem is that I only make 100 bucks a day here, which comes out to 16.70 Canadian. 

The other problem is that the choice of cards locally is EXTREMELY limited, the entire country has like 5 770s...

So I looked in the classifieds and saw 2 295s for 443 Canadian and a 6950 for 169. The 770 is 572 canadian dollars lol...

Can anyone help me out? I'll be saving for a while, 16 bucks isn't much but I need something cooler for this climate. All cards have stock coolers.

Also, selling my card isn't an option as it's a gift.

Stay away from the 6950 if you are worried about heat and it has a stock cooler. I was going to say any card would work with aftermarket cooling but since that is not an option I guess you would really have to go with a 770. The cooling on it is way better than everything else but it sounds too expensive for you? Did you say you only make 16.70 a day?

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

95F is hot? Shit that's starting to feel chilly to me with my heat.

@AbsoluteFenrir Why don't you buy an aftermarket cooler for your 285? Could go for a cheaper card like the 760. Still good performance, doesn't cost as much.

Hey guys thanks a lot for the quick replies!

Yeah, you can buy a lot of groceries with it but not much else... 

Saving will take a very very long time

@FSX

I don't understand, an aftermarket cooler for the 285? I didn't think they made any or had any around still, unless you mean watercooling. 

95F is hot? Shit that's starting to feel chilly to me with my heat.

@AbsoluteFenrir Why don't you buy an aftermarket cooler for your 285? Could go for a cheaper card like the 760. Still good performance, doesn't cost as much.

I think because his country does not carry them. But if he could invest in an aftermarket cooler than 6950 would do you great with aftermarket cooling.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Hi I'm new to the forum but I've lurked a bit for the past few months. Just wondering why everyone here thinks the 780 Ti is not worth it, though I can prolly guess.

The second question is pretty much my real question.

So for various reasons I'm not living in beautiful Canada anymore and I'm living in a tropical climate, it's really freaking hot here, like 30-35C every freaking day from 11 am to 5 pm. 

My old 285 isn't used to this heat and crashes after 10 min or so of heavy game play. 

Now my problem is that I only make 100 bucks a day here, which comes out to 16.70 Canadian. 

The other problem is that the choice of cards locally is EXTREMELY limited, the entire country has like 5 770s...

So I looked in the classifieds and saw 2 295s for 443 Canadian and a 6950 for 169. The 770 is 572 canadian dollars lol...

Can anyone help me out? I'll be saving for a while, 16 bucks isn't much but I need something cooler for this climate. All cards have stock coolers.

Also, selling my card isn't an option as it's a gift.

Lol thats like Australia in summer how do those cards crash? My cousin use to have 470's in sli and they got too like 90'C maybe more but never crashed...

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Hey guys thanks a lot for the quick replies!

Yeah, you can buy a lot of groceries with it but not much else... 

Saving will take a very very long time

@FSX

I don't understand, an aftermarket cooler for the 285? I didn't think they made any or had any around still, unless you mean watercooling. 

I think because his country does not carry them. But if he could invest in an aftermarket cooler than 6950 would do you great with aftermarket cooling.

I'm talking about like the Arctic Accelero Extreme III.

What country are you in?

Well it's an old chip and until I opened it up a couple weeks ago it was running with a lint like blockage in the heatsink and the TIM had completely dried up. 

It idles at 50C here, I can't remember what it was at in Canada.

I'm talking about like the Arctic Accelero Extreme III.

What country are you in?

Trinidad, called Trinidad and Tobago, it's the most southern island in the Caribbean. 

Oic those old coolers, um I highly doubt they'll have them locally, I'd have to try amazon.

I kinda want to upgrade too, my Skyrim has over 180 mods and I think the VRAM is going to burn out soon lol Afterburner says I'm always a bit above 1000 MBs

Trinidad, called Trinidad and Tobago, it's the most southern island in the Caribbean. 

Oh boy, I wonder what sites ship to that area.. Maybe Amazon ships there?

Well it's an old chip and until I opened it up a couple weeks ago it was running with a lint like blockage in the heatsink and the TIM had completely dried up. 

It idles at 50C here, I can't remember what it was at in Canada.

Do you mean to say your thermal compound dried up? 

Do you mean to say your thermal compound dried up? 

Indeed it had, so I reapplied some and temps dropped about 15C at idle and about 20 under max load, that was in Canada tho.

Oh boy, I wonder what sites ship to that area.. Maybe Amazon ships there?

Yes it does, a relative often orders from there but the shipping and the importation fees are gonna be massive... 

Might be able to find a cheap Arctic cooler for cheaps to save on import fees.

I wish there was a better solution, the 770 seems like the only safe bet without needing aftermarket cooling but if you were going to get aftermarket cooling you should probably upgrade from that old card anyway. So my final opinion, either get the 770 or the 6950 with aftermarket cooling.

Ah now there's an option I didn't think about. 

So it's about 1600 local currency for The 6950 with the cooler, while the 770 is 3425. 

What are your thoughts? 

Ah now there's an option I didn't think about. 

So it's about 1600 local currency for The 6950 with the cooler, while the 770 is 3425. 

What are your thoughts? 

Well if you can get it with the cooler and don't care much for spending money on graphics the 6950 should do well but a step up from the 280 to the 770 would probably blow your mind just a bit. lol. I must note that the 770 does have a fantastic reference cooler but it would probably have to get a little loud or throttle to stock speeds to stay cool. Basically don't expect to overclock much on it if you don't want it to get loud. Im not sure how you stand to live in such a hot place. I can't even stand the heat in florida. Im ready to go back to new york lol.

Well if you can get it with the cooler and don't care much for spending money on graphics the 6950 should do well but a step up from the 280 to the 770 would probably blow your mind just a bit. lol. I must note that the 770 does have a fantastic reference cooler but it would probably have to get a little loud or throttle to stock speeds to stay cool. Basically don't expect to overclock much on it if you don't want it to get loud. Im not sure how you stand to live in such a hot place. I can't even stand the heat in florida. Im ready to go back to new york lol.

If you think the heat is bad what if you imagined the mosquitoes... It's almost torture. 

Yeah I'm very fond of the 7xx series reference coolers. They're probably the most attractive I've seen since the old 8800 Ultra. 

I think I'll go with the 6950 and the Arctic cooler. Thanks a lot for the advice everyone!

If you think the heat is bad what if you imagined the mosquitoes... It's almost torture. 

Yeah I'm very fond of the 7xx series reference coolers. They're probably the most attractive I've seen since the old 8800 Ultra. 

I think I'll go with the 6950 and the Arctic cooler. Thanks a lot for the advice everyone!

The price/performance would be roughly the same, twice the price but you get twice the horsepower. Just a final thought on that. It's all about how much you wanted to spend.

The price/performance would be roughly the same, twice the price but you get twice the horsepower. Just a final thought on that. It's all about how much you wanted to spend.

Thanks! I'll prolly just buy this now and save for an 880 or something, by then I should be out of this place. 

Thanks! I'll prolly just buy this now and save for an 880 or something, by then I should be out of this place. 

Great idea, maxwell has insanely low power draw and heat output. Definitely do that. Im sure the reference cooler will be mind blowing on that.