Replacing a Motherboard/Repurchasing Windows?

A_Riggs1314

Hi, I am replacing the motherboard in my brother's PC that he bought from a prebuilt PC company like CyberpowerPC or something or other. That I know how to do on the hardware side of things, but my question is do I have to repurchace a copy of windows to go along with this motherboard, seeing as the original copy was OEM?

Thanks

is it windows 8.1? if its 7 then yes

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Logic says you shouldn't have to unless your drive fucks up.

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Reasearch says yes.

Due to drivers/something idk it says here http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1838180/reinstall-windows-replacing-motherboard-cpu.html

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

No you dont have to repurchase a copy of windows. Anyone who tells you that you do, while technically correct, is speaking from the point of view as Microsoft who WANT you to buy another copy because they(being Microsoft) cant work around the changing of a motherboard. If you change your mobo and Windows throws a hissy fit over activation, just choose the "Activate over the Phone" option and just tell them you swapped motherboards and they'll give you a key. Typically the main reason why people to tell you reinstall windows (Other then activation bull) is driver issues. But Windows 7 PNP is pretty good about hardware changes as long as you have the correct drivers on hand. Usually you dont have to install anything to get basic functionality restablished in windows. 

Or if you're like me you dont go thru microsoft at all and you just get a Windows 7 Activation Utility. I don't see the point in repurchasing windows to change hardware. I've changed CPU, mobo and GPU and didnt' have to reinstall...

I am whatever I am. 

Logic says you shouldn't have to unless your drive fucks up.

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Reasearch says yes.

Due to drivers/something idk it says here http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1838180/reinstall-windows-replacing-motherboard-cpu.html

Saw this after I posted. That article isn't really informative. Its just a lot of "yes you have to because you just do and thats the way it is".. not really definitive. There was one post that was mostly right (the one all in caps). As long as you uninstall motherboard specific drivers and/or software (E.g, ASUS Utility Suite or Gigabytes EasyTune), and audio drivers, you'll be fine. Windows will detect the on board chipset and use generic drivers until you load the proper ones for your board. Motherboard install are about the only time you'd wanna use the CD. You know that its the exact drivers for you exact board. After you can just upgrade those drivers and be on your way. 

I am whatever I am. 

Invisible ink again :ph34r:

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Invisible ink again :ph34r:

:o

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Does the sticker say which company has branded it? If not and its only saying something like Genuin Windows ... you don't have to buy new one. Only branded OEMs are bound to mobo. Branded meaning that brand name is mentioned in sticker. I don't know how those companies doing performance prebuilds work with their OEM copies. Bigger ones (HP, Dell etc) always have branding.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv