Windows 8

joenewbie

Windows 8, a contrivance to dumb down and make less useful a normal operating system.   An OS should function like wallpaper, it's there but I don't really need to notice it's there, Windows 8 is the opposite of that.  I hope MS gets their heads removed from their asses and fixes the stupidity they've created with this OS in Win9... by the way, Win9 should have come out 18 months ago to correct this idiotic crap. 

please, leave...

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

What do you don't like of windows 8?? Because i have had it since january and i really love it.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Not when Windows update isn't windows update anymore.  Now you're pushed into the "automatic settings" and thus not given a list of updates to choose from, it's just gonna tell you what you need and install it for you based on what it wants.  

I don't use 8, never have, never will.  But a friend of mine had some problems with his system and I needed to do a restore for him.  Getting windows to do updates shouldn't be like this.  I should be given options, because really I don't want it to update windows 8, I want to download 8.1 and then do updates.  Does it let me choose what to update... nope... sorry, we are Microsoft and we know what's best for you. 

How do you deal with "tiles" live tiles? Seriously?  I don't need nor want "live tiles"  MS needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. the one we've been using functions perfectly well.  To go from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is like going from a round wheel to a square one.  They should have eased into it with an octagon first. 

Did you go into control panel > system and security > windows update, then check for updates and select the updates you want??

And for me the live tiles are really useful although i only use the weather one, the rest are just icons for my most used apps like in windows 7 start menu,

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Did you go into control panel > system and security > windows update, then check for updates and select the updates you want??

Is that where they buried it?  It used to be in Internet explorer.  When I went to the Update site through that they told me to do a search for Windows update, did that, was given no choices at all, just "turn on recommended settings"  They're making this far more complicated than it needs to be. 

Windows 8 has it's pros and cons.

What I personally don't like about it, is that it just doesn't feel right in a traditional desktop environment.... with all the metro/modern/whatever they call it now UI stuff.   I also didn't like it every time I had to switch back and forth between the desktop and the screen invading modern UI environment, it's like having two operating systems.

I'm looking forwards to windows 9 too. The update to windows 8 that brings back the start menu and allows windowed versions of modern UI elements also looks promising.

Why would you even post this? It isn't going to start a discussion, just an argument.

Not when Windows update isn't windows update anymore.  Now you're pushed into the "automatic settings" and thus not given a list of updates to choose from, it's just gonna tell you what you need and install it for you based on what it wants.  

I don't use 8, never have, never will.  But a friend of mine had some problems with his system and I needed to do a restore for him.  Getting windows to do updates shouldn't be like this.  I should be given options, because really I don't want it to update windows 8, I want to download 8.1 and then do updates.  Does it let me choose what to update... nope... sorry, we are Microsoft and we know what's best for you. 

The traditional WU is there, YOU'D KNOW IF YOU HAD USED IT!

How do you deal with "tiles" live tiles? Seriously?  I don't need nor want "live tiles"  MS needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. the one we've been using functions perfectly well.  To go from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is like going from a round wheel to a square one.  They should have eased into it with an octagon first. 

Live tiles work good on tablets and I just use them as a screen saver on a desktop.

i'm a potato

I think Microsoft as a company has a bad case of, fix-what-isn't-broke-itis.   They wanted to make an OS to compete with Android with tablets and mobile devices, and that's fine, but they took the desktop user and made the OS best suited for touchscreens and an oversimplification and a whole new way to interact with it.  And what's worse is, they put all these apps in that do little more than shove marketing down your throat.  I don't want bing... bing is redundant when there is google. 

Windows 8.1 is awesome. 

spend some time and modify it to how you want it. 

This is my desktop, it looks and acts like windows 7, but it is windows 8.1

Ol29FoI.jpg

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Is that where they buried it?  It used to be in Internet explorer.  When I went to the Update site through that they told me to do a search for Windows update, did that, was given no choices at all, just "turn on recommended settings"  They're making this far more complicated than it needs to be. 

It's exactly has easy, before you'd go to the start menu and search for Windows Update, you can still do the same exact thing, except that instead of start menu you use the start screen.

i'm a potato

Well you could have done this:

18lYrg2.png

Main PC:

Netbook:

The traditional WU is there, YOU'D KNOW IF YOU HAD USED IT!

Live tiles work good on tablets and I just use them as a screen saver on a desktop.

You're correct, I have no argument with that, but this is a desktop OS as well.  I said this from the getgo, they should have just made 2 Windows OS's one for the touchscreen/tablet/smartphone market, and one for the desktop user market.  That's what's disappointing.  I mean I'm sure Windows 8 is fine under the hood, but the hood completely sucks. 

I think you're overreacting, OP. W8 just functions differently and takes getting used to.

Well you could have done this:

18lYrg2.png

And when I click that it gave me no options but to turn on automatic settings.  It didn't do as it traditionally has, check for updates and then presented a list to choose from.  

I think Microsoft as a company has a bad case of, fix-what-isn't-broke-itis.   They wanted to make an OS to compete with Android with tablets and mobile devices, and that's fine, but they took the desktop user and made the OS best suited for touchscreens and an oversimplification and a whole new way to interact with it.  And what's worse is, they put all these apps in that do little more than shove marketing down your throat.  I don't want bing... bing is redundant when there is google. 

They wanted to make the user experience more consistent. Also, metro apps don't really have ads and you can ignore bing.

i'm a potato

I think you're overreacting, OP. W8 just functions differently and takes getting used to.

Maybe, maybe I just needed to vent.  But I do think I have legitimate points.  I used MS-DOS 5.0 and up, and never has a change been this jarring because they set a standard with the start button and then find what programs you want... now you go to a start wall and seek out the tile you need among a single list of apps and programs.

There is no sense of following the branches of a tree to get to the leaf you want.  That has been the standard for too long to just let go of it now, it's taking what was a visual of folders and sub-folders, or directories and sub-directories leading to the program you needed and made it into a "search" engine for your hard drive. They're trying to rewrite a standard that's been around before Microsoft and up until now Microsoft has worked with, rather than against. 

They wanted to make the user experience more consistent. Also, metro apps don't really have ads and you can ignore bing.

My point being, they're putting it on the user now.  They're making the wallpaper gaudy and with patterns that make users who are used to the standard dizzy.  An operating system is there to serve the end-user.  They should have gradually turned, rather than the 90 degree angle they made in the road, without warning either.  Just here's 8... and then when they gave 8.1 it's Start button back that doesn't function like the Start button... it was like MS telling the users, "you want a start button... Ok.. here's a start button that does nothing... muhahahaa."

Maybe, maybe I just needed to vent.  But I do think I have legitimate points.  I used MS-DOS 5.0 and up, and never has a change been this jarring because they set a standard with the start button and then find what programs you want... now you go to a start wall and seek out the tile you need among a single list of apps and programs.

There is no sense of following the branches of a tree to get to the leaf you want.  That has been the standard for too long to just let go of it now, it's taking what was a visual of folders and sub-folders, or directories and sub-directories leading to the program you needed and made it into a "search" engine for your hard drive. They're trying to rewrite a standard that's been around before Microsoft and up until now Microsoft has worked with, rather than against. 

Things change man. There's a ton of people who hated the idea of Windows 8's functionality and GUI, now they like it.

The OP has so many misconceptions about windows 8 its actually kinda funny.

The only reason 

The OP has so many misconceptions about windows 8 its actually kinda funny.

Enlighten me.  Seriously I'm not looking to argue, sell me on this.