Windows 8

joenewbie

The only reason

Enlighten me. Seriously I'm not looking to argue, sell me on this.

I can go through it post by post once I'm done with work. But for now just think of windows 8 as windows 7 with a start screen instead of a start menu with a bunch of improvents especially for power users and newer hardware.

Things change man. There's a ton of people who hated the idea of Windows 8's functionality and GUI, now they like it.

In my view, the only thing Windows has going for it is the compatibility with games.  If gaming companies would release more Linux compatible/ready games MS would have serious competition.  As it stands Win7/8 are the standard for gaming.  

I've thought myself lucky in that I always skip a generation of Windows personally.  I went from 3.1 to 98, to XP to 7.  Dodging 95 and the problem children known as Millennium/Vista and now 8.   Bill Gates always talked about innovation and choice, I don't think Win8 is innovative because it's trying to be too many things at the same time... think Android/Apple stylistically.   Surely there is also no choice, unless you go to a non-MS shell to roll it back to 7.  

I still say the best thing they could have done was to create two OS's to give everyone an option.  Like I said, Win8 under the hood I have no doubt is fine, but the GUI was poorly implemented. 

I can go through it post by post once I'm done with work. But for now just think of windows 8 as windows 7 with a start screen instead of a start menu with a bunch of improvents especially for power users and newer hardware.

My thing is, and I was never an Icon using guy so maybe that's why I have this opinion, I want to click on Start, and see the tree with all it's branches where I know where to find what I'm looking for without either having 100 icons on the screen, or typing in a search command.  We've had the ability to search for programs a long time in Windows, but ask the average user and they'll likely tell you they either use a shortcut on the desktop or can find what they seek quickly by going to the programs list and tree in the start menu.   

I think the way people approach how they use their OS is a very personal thing, some may love typing it in like it's a search engine all the time, others may love the tiles, but if you don't fall into either of those classes you're SOL with Win8. 

Oh, also, try to use Win8 without a keyboard and only with the onscreen keyboard and mouse.  Everytime you go to type something you have to reopen the program rather than have a taskbar right there waiting for you to summon it to the front again.   That's a fun challenge. 

Yes, windows 8.1 update 2 is coming next year:

P4020093-X2.jpg

Maybe you just don't like change, i do and i apreciate when companies try to do something different and "break the barriers". I have always used Windows on my desktop and i got used to the metro programs and live tiles even though i have not used it on a touchscreen, and like you i wished they would have made 2 different os for the desktop and touch devices, but if they did that we wouldn't have convertibles which i also think are a great idea.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite