Dell U2414H IPS on sale - CAN - $290 CAD

Hey everyone,

The Dell U2414H monitor is on sale in Canada right now, it's $90 less than the regular retail price and if you're looking for an IPS monitor this looks like a great one IMO. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&sku=860-BBCG

Review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm (didn't see anything banning external links so I hope this is okay)

EDIT: That website looks like it's for Dell US but it's the Dell Canada site. They are very similar. 

U2414H.jpg

Great?

It's one of the best D:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

that link is to the US site EDIT: odd, http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=860-BBCG&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch is the canadian site... virtually identical. so NVM it is Canadian only :D

Will this support adaptivesync?

I just might buy it! great price and everything I want in a Monitor :D & also supports my dell sound system :D

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

that link is to the US site EDIT: odd, http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=860-BBCG&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch is the canadian site... virtually identical. so NVM it is Canadian only :D

Will this support adaptivesync?

Yeah the sites are identical, it's odd. I'll edit my post to reflect that.

I don't know if the monitor supports adaptive vsync, but I included the TFT Central article and it covers a lot of different areas of the monitor, so most of your questions could be answered there. :)

Yeah the sites are identical, it's odd. I'll edit my post to reflect that.

I don't know if the monitor supports adaptive vsync, but I included the TFT Central article and it covers a lot of different areas of the monitor, so most of your questions could be answered there. :)

Adaptive-sync not vsync... aka freesync. It looks like the Display does support DP 1.2a, which to my understanding, comes with Adaptive-sync. Am i wrong in this assumption?

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

feeeeeeeeeeesh

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Great?

It's one of the best D:

Eh, with 8 ms response time I've noticed a lot of ghosting on the Dell. I recommend the Asus PA248Q

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Adaptive-sync not vsync... aka freesync. It looks like the Display does support DP 1.2a, which to my understanding, comes with Adaptive-sync. Am i wrong in this assumption?

Ohh, I Googled it and it auto corrected to adaptive vsync which appears to be Nvidia's proprietary version, my bad. An article on Anandtech says that adaptive-sync will be implemented into monitors and cables with DP 1.2a, but probably not for another 6-12 months because they have to work with manufacturers to make sure it works properly.

Eh, with 8 ms response time I've noticed a lot of ghosting on the Dell. I recommend the Asus PA248Q

8ms isn't amazing for gaming but I doubt non pro gamers would notice a 3MS difference between Asus and Dell IPS panels. I bought mine for art and design, but they work for gaming too and the physical design of the monitor is pretty sweet. Plus it has a lot of other things I liked about it including no PWM flicker, the ability to daisy chain, near 100% sRGB gamut, and an input lag of 4ms total (according to the tests TFT Central did). 

Ohh, I Googled it and it auto corrected to adaptive vsync which appears to be Nvidia's proprietary version, my bad. An article on Anandtech says that adaptive-sync will be implemented into monitors and cables with DP 1.2a, but probably not for another 6-12 months because they have to work with manufacturers to make sure it works properly.

Yeah seems very confusing, they should have just called int DP 1.2b or something if it's not compatible... seriously

Yeah seems very confusing, they should have just called int DP 1.2b or something if it's not compatible... seriously

I agree, but what might happen is once they get it all working, they will just push out a firmware update for DP 1.2a and we might just need to buy cables that support it. I hope that's the case because I'm not buying new monitors for another 5-ish years at least, unless I have to.

I agree, but what might happen is once they get it all working, they will just push out a firmware update for DP 1.2a and we might just need to buy cables that support it. I hope that's the case because I'm not buying new monitors for another 5-ish years at least, unless I have to.

Yeah, I've had my Dell (notsurewhatmodel) for at LEAST 7 or 8 years, color and light are finally fading and the power button rotates and the only way to turn it on/off is by rotating it into the exact specific spot.... Great monitor though that it lasted this long. The monitor is on it's last legs though and I want to replace it asap.... it's 16:10 though so I would like to replace with another... but I'd settle with 16:9, I'm just looking for future proofing and I guess I might have to wait a bit longer....

8ms isn't amazing for gaming but I doubt non pro gamers would notice a 3MS difference between Asus and Dell IPS panels. I bought mine for art and design, but they work for gaming too and the physical design of the monitor is pretty sweet. Plus it has a lot of other things I liked about it including no PWM flicker, the ability to daisy chain, near 100% sRGB gamut, and an input lag of 4ms total (according to the tests TFT Central did). 

Well yes, it is purpose-dependent. Although if you're doing art/HD video editting, wouldn't you want a VA panel?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well yes, it is purpose-dependent. Although if you're doing art/HD video editting, wouldn't you want a VA panel?

No, I went with IPS because all around it was the best panel choice based on the reviews I've seen, what I've seen from Linus and the photography and art forums I checked out. It also had a decent response time so I could game if I wanted to even though that wasn't the purpose of this rig, and it was close enough to 100% sRGB for me. Since I'm not a pro I don't care about having the best of the best, and VA might be better for professionals depending on their needs, but all around this Dell was perfect for me. I just need to get my desktop built now and hook it up so I can make sure there's no back light bleeding. I hooked it up to my console with HDMI and it didn't appear to have any bleed, so I hope it remains that way when I hook it up to a PC with DP 1.2a connection. 

VA panel are considered worse than ips for color acuracy. So where color is important, you want a ips panel

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

VA panel are considered worse than ips for color acuracy. So where color is important, you want a ips panel

Who told you that? Maybe ages ago. Currently they're rated at 99.99% of the Adobe color spectrum.

EDIT:http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

It would seem the most recent generation of IPS has managed to exceed the S-IPS stats I was familiar with. Well, happy editing :)

what I'm trying to get at is this:

IS DisplayPort 1.2a the AdaptiveSync compliance/option to DisplayPort 1.2? or is 1.2a just a modification of 1.2 with other benefits and AdaptiveSync is an option on top of the existing 1.2a standard?

EDIT: more research found this:

http://www.nag.co.za/2014/01/27/amd-asks-vesa-to-allow-changes-to-support-freesync/

according to this artice, any monitor manufactured with DP 1.2a WILL have vblank/adaptivesync built in. Am I wrong in this assumption?

I game on this monitor (admitedly not on twitch shooters) and I don't notice an input lag.

I also over clocked my monitor to 65Hz

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I game on this monitor (admitedly not on twitch shooters) and I don't notice an input lag.

I also over clocked my monitor to 65Hz

Someone on another forum mentioned he overclocked it to 80Hz and he was loving it. You could always give it a shot if you wanted and know how to get it that high without causing any damage.

Someone on another forum mentioned he overclocked it to 80Hz and he was loving it. You could always give it a shot if you wanted and know how to get it that high without causing any damage.

I've tried. 67Hz is the absolute max for me (68 crashes), but it feels a bit shaky at 67 so I keep it at 65

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I've tried. 67Hz is the absolute max for me (68 crashes), but it feels a bit shaky at 67 so I keep it at 65

Ahh, well it's just the luck of the draw I guess. I might try and push mine up once I learn how, but I already play on 60hz so if I can't it's no big deal. 

what I'm trying to get at is this:

IS DisplayPort 1.2a the AdaptiveSync compliance/option to DisplayPort 1.2? or is 1.2a just a modification of 1.2 with other benefits and AdaptiveSync is an option on top of the existing 1.2a standard?

EDIT: more research found this:

http://www.nag.co.za/2014/01/27/amd-asks-vesa-to-allow-changes-to-support-freesync/

according to this artice, any monitor manufactured with DP 1.2a WILL have vblank/adaptivesync built in. Am I wrong in this assumption?

yes any display with 1.2a displayport will support adaptive sync it s part of the things required to call a port 1.2a

(Btw displayport 1.2 =/= 1.2a, they re different)

the real question is can this monitor that uses display port 1.2 (as read on dell's own website) be upgraded to 1.2a with a firmware upgrade?

The most likely answer is no since that enables vendors to sell you a brand new monitor in 6 months.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

yes any display with 1.2a displayport will support adaptive sync it s part of the things required to call a port 1.2a

(Btw displayport 1.2 =/= 1.2a, they re different)

the real question is can this monitor that uses display port 1.2 be upgraded to 1.2a with a firmware upgrade?

The most likely answer is no since that enables vendors to sell you a brand new monitor in 6 months.

Thank you. And no, without hardware modifications you can't upgrade 1.2 to 1.2a if AdaptiveSync is required for 1.2a.

So in other words, this monitor will support FreeSync once it's available - So why isn't this more widely known? Is this the first monitor to support 1.2a because I thought it wasn't suppose to be available until the end of the year?

Dell claims it's DP 1.2a...

Thank you. And no, without hardware modifications you can't upgrade 1.2 to 1.2a if AdaptiveSync is required for 1.2a.

So in other words, this monitor will support FreeSync once it's available - So why isn't this more widely known? Is this the first monitor to support 1.2a because I thought it wasn't suppose to be available until the end of the year?

Dell claims it's DP 1.2a...

dell claim it s 1.2 here:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=860-BBCG

but this review site says 1.2a

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

so idk.

dell claims 1.2a, look at tech specs "1 DisplayPort (version 1.2a)"