DVD Decrypter type software for Blu-Ray?

Go to solution Solved by 91Chris,

That's certainly a better solution to what I'm working with at the moment, thanks. But I'd also like to rip my Blu-Ray's so that I can access them from one single file. Is that even possible?

Once you have ripped the movie  you can use MakeMKV which will rewrap the contents into an MKV file with zero quality loss. It's literally a 1:1 rip so file sizes are enormous. You can use something like Handbrake to compress them, but compression is the devil!

EDIT: forgot to mention that MakeMKV will also read directly from the disk, but also works with files you have pirated or ripped and saved previously.

Remember this software for decrypting your DVD's? I say remember, but I guess a lot of people still use it. I remember a few years ago I ripped my entire Simpsons DVD collection onto an external HDD and it has made them so much easier to access over the years.

I was wondering, does anyone know of any software that does the same sort of thing for Blu-Ray discs?

There are a few things I own that I'd love to be just a few clicks away, rather than inserting a disc, going through menus, trailers, anti-piracy messages etc. The irony of anti piracy messages has always been that the vast majority of people that see them are people that have bought the content legitimately. Bit of a rant. Anyone?

Remember this software for decrypting your DVD's? I say remember, but I guess a lot of people still use it. I remember a few years ago I ripped my entire Simpsons DVD collection onto an external HDD and it has made them so much easier to access over the years.

I was wondering, does anyone know of any software that does the same sort of thing for Blu-Ray discs?

There are a few things I own that I'd love to be just a few clicks away, rather than inserting a disc, going through menus, trailers, anti-piracy messages etc. The irony of anti piracy messages has always been that the vast majority of people that see them are people that have bought the content legitimately. Bit of a rant. Anyone?

AnyDVD HD, however it's not free.

It can remove the trailers / auto-skip to the movie.

Remove annoying adverts and trailers

11411.jpg
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

AnyDVD HD, however it's not free.

It can remove the trailers / auto-skip to the movie.

That's certainly a better solution to what I'm working with at the moment, thanks. But I'd also like to rip my Blu-Ray's so that I can access them from one single file. Is that even possible?

There's no way I know of to do that unless they used to be a single file, in which case you could extract and recombine them.

Otherwise you could extract the files from each individual iso and just create an entirely new iso, however you wouldn't be able to as easily access the movies.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Once you have ripped the movie  you can use MakeMKV which will rewrap the contents into an MKV file with zero quality loss. It's literally a 1:1 rip so file sizes are enormous. You can use something like Handbrake to compress them, but compression is the devil!

EDIT: forgot to mention that MakeMKV will also read directly from the disk, but also works with files you have pirated or ripped and saved previously.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

AnyDVD HD + handbrake is probably the best method if your not that experienced with this sort of stuff.

Also I should mention I still use DVD Decryptor to this day. It does a bunch of things no other program does to this day. It also has no problem with even never DVDs since they reverse engineered the basic protection on dvds. The ones it can handle I put through anydvd first.

Once you have ripped the movie you can use MakeMKV which will rewrap the contents into an MKV file with zero quality loss. It's literally a 1:1 rip so file sizes are enormous. You can use something like Handbrake to compress them, but compression is the devil!

You don't need makemkv for this and its actually likely going to use the software I would recommend on its back end. The one thing you may have issues directly reading in any sort of player including mpc-hc is the native bluray sub's as they can be tricky.

I also see no reason to store a 1:1 copy when you use a higher profile and compress it down pretty far without any loss. Bluray basically solves any quality issues due to the codec or compression by just throwing masses of nitrate at it since it uses a relatively restrictive profile.

Actually it doesn't. They recommend NOT to feed it files ripped by AnyDVD etc as they don't do it "properly", though I haven't had a problem doing it myself.

MakeMKV rips everything perfectly... Audio streams, subtitles, chapters...Everything. It also lets you choose which ones to keep and which ones to ignore in the conversion. Deleting all of the redundant audio languages can take a sizeable chunk off the end result.

You can definitely compress movies quite a lot without a "noticeable" loss in quality, but each movie will behave differently to compression. Recompressing the same video multiple times until I get the "recipe" right, isn't something I'm going to do.

As someone thats been doing this for more than 10 years, I can definitely say that MakeMKV is the best tool I've come across by far. Obviously you going to need some serious storage though.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Actually it doesn't. They recommend NOT to feed it files ripped by AnyDVD etc as they don't do it "properly", though I haven't had a problem doing it myself.

MakeMKV rips everything perfectly... Audio streams, subtitles, chapters...Everything. It also lets you choose which ones to keep and which ones to ignore in the conversion. Deleting all of the redundant audio languages can take a sizeable chunk off the end result.

You can definitely compress movies quite a lot without a "noticeable" loss in quality, but each movie will behave differently to compression. Recompressing the same video multiple times until I get the "recipe" right, isn't something I'm going to do.

As someone thats been doing this for more than 10 years, I can definitely say that MakeMKV is the best tool I've come across by far. Obviously you going to need some serious storage though.

I'll go into this with you more once I'm off work as you making this seem much harder than it is. Also what does anydvd "not do right" and I've never encountered anything since I picked it up during the hd-dvd/bluray battle to the death. And just to clarify all anydvd does is remove the encryption. You can also choose to copy it to the HDD or make a ISO. Other programs then take it from there.

Thanks! What do you recommend I use to RIP them in the first place?

EDIT: my bad, AnyDVD does it. Thanks. I may weigh in once I've gone through this process. Blu-Ray playback on PC is not as straightforward as I thought it would be. It turns out cinavia has a part to play. 

I'll go into this with you more once I'm off work as you making this seem much harder than it is. Also what does anydvd "not do right" and I've never encountered anything since I picked it up during the hd-dvd/bluray battle to the death. And just to clarify all anydvd does is remove the encryption. You can also choose to copy it to the HDD or make a ISO. Other programs then take it from there.

I know what it does but I'm not going to pretend to know the exact details. All I know is users are encouraged to avoid giving MakeMKV (i've seen it with other programs too) files ripped by programs such as AnyDVD as they make "bad" rips. Like I said though, I've not had any problems in doing so and I have no idea what it is they do badly.

MakeMKV + Handbrake have gotten good results for my media server. Something like 500 movies and tv shows.

Thanks! What do you recommend I use to RIP them in the first place?

EDIT: my bad, AnyDVD does it. Thanks. I may weigh in once I've gone through this process. Blu-Ray playback on PC is not as straightforward as I thought it would be. It turns out cinavia has a part to play. 

MakeMKV will decrypt and rewrap BluRays and DVD's, you don't need another program. I have only had 1 BluRay fail to decrypt, but there have been many updates since then. I got around the problem by using AyDVD to decrypt it first (to an ISO), but I try to avoid using it where possible as it's not recommended.

I've actually fashioned an even better way around this. I'm using a program I've used for other tasks for a long time, MKVMerge.

I can have that program go into the files on the disc, manually select the file that contains the movie (the rest are usually menu scenes or extra features), select which components I want from that file (i.e. video file, English audio, subtitles) and it will extract them and dump them into an MKV file wherever I choose. All this without even ripping the disc in the first place. I just did it with Inglorious Basterds and it works great. Not to mention trimming a few GBs off of the file size (I have no use for the French and Spanish language audio).

All in all, the file I ended up with was 31GB. That's the video file, the 5.1 audio and the subtitles. No junk. 

As a note, you can copy the disc image before you do this process, if you want to. I'm not sure if it's quicker overall, because obviously doing the process straight from the disc is quite lengthy. But then ripping the entire disc was always going to take a while. If you want to try MKVMerge, it's free.

MKVMerge allows you to drop a video file into it, see the contents of that file (i.e. the video, audio, subtitles) and then produce a new file containing which of those you've selected. It works great for this task because I can take the file directly from the disc, and just take exactly what I need from it, rather than the entire disc.

MakeMKV will decrypt and rewrap BluRays and DVD's, you don't need another program. I have only had 1 BluRay fail to decrypt, but there have been many updates since then. I got around the problem by using AyDVD to decrypt it first (to an ISO), but I try to avoid using it where possible as it's not recommended.

Just rip to HDD is the ISO that not recommended because you would just have to mount it for any of the programs to be able to read it and the bluray ISO format isn't necessarily supported by everything.

I've actually fashioned an even better way around this. I'm using a program I've used for other tasks for a long time, MKVMerge.

I can have that program go into the files on the disc, manually select the file that contains the movie (the rest are usually menu scenes or extra features), select which components I want from that file (i.e. video file, English audio, subtitles) and it will extract them and dump them into an MKV file wherever I choose. All this without even ripping the disc in the first place. I just did it with Inglorious Basterds and it works great. Not to mention trimming a few GBs off of the file size (I have no use for the French and Spanish language audio).

All in all, the file I ended up with was 31GB. That's the video file, the 5.1 audio and the subtitles. No junk.

As a note, you can copy the disc image before you do this process, if you want to. I'm not sure if it's quicker overall, because obviously doing the process straight from the disc is quite lengthy. But then ripping the entire disc was always going to take a while. If you want to try MKVMerge, it's free.

MKVMerge allows you to drop a video file into it, see the contents of that file (i.e. the video, audio, subtitles) and then produce a new file containing which of those you've selected. It works great for this task because I can take the file directly from the disc, and just take exactly what I need from it, rather than the entire disc.

That's what I was talking about makemkv using on its back end.

No Good. 

On closer inspection, the video very slightly stutters when I play it back with VLC. Pretty pointless. After some Googling, it seems it might be something to do with HDMI capabilities. I don't get the issue when playing back a Blu-Ray film on my PS4, because I guess the PS4 takes care of that issue? And on a PC it would have to be the playback software, in this case, VLC (after ripping, at least.)

Anyone encountered a problem with video stutter when playing back MKVs of ripped BRs?

MakeMKV does the same thing but is capable of decrypting the disks too.

Use whatever method suits your needs best though.

Just rip to HDD is the ISO that not recommended because you would just have to mount it for any of the programs to be able to read it and the bluray ISO format isn't necessarily supported by everything.

MakeMKV supports ISO amongst other formats.

No Good. 

On closer inspection, the video very slightly stutters when I play it back with VLC. Pretty pointless. After some Googling, it seems it might be something to do with HDMI capabilities. I don't get the issue when playing back a Blu-Ray film on my PS4, because I guess the PS4 takes care of that issue? And on a PC it would have to be the playback software, in this case, VLC (after ripping, at least.)

Anyone encountered a problem with video stutter when playing back MKVs of ripped BRs?

Thats not something I've encountered before.

Are you saying the ripped file plays back fine on the PS4 or the original disk does?

Thats not something I've encountered before.

Are you saying the ripped file plays back fine on the PS4 or the original disk does?

Sorry, the original disc does. The original disc appears to play fine using WinDVD on my PC too. It's only after ripping it to an MKV that I begin having judder trouble.

Sorry, the original disc does. The original disc appears to play fine using WinDVD on my PC too. It's only after ripping it to an MKV that I begin having judder trouble.

Perhaps it was a bad rip or something? If your hardware can play back the original disk, then theres no reason why it can't play it in a different supported container.

I could go into depth on my method, the processes themselves, and what all in ones like MakeMKV are doing. The Main issues with a all in one is that it tries to do too much and you dont have much nearly as much control over what it does. A good all in one for encoding is handbrake. Its not what I use but it was I recommend to people who dont what to get into as much as I have but still want some decent control.

@Chris230291 "Recompressing the same video multiple times until I get the "recipe" right, isn't something I'm going to do." You might have to do that once until you decide what crf is good enough for you. This is because crf is somewhat a measure of quality that allows x264 for effect the bit rate variably as needed rather than say setting a bit rate. Also depending on what your encoding and your settings any quad core should do pretty quick work of a movie when encoding to a hardware compatible standard.

I use 'Alpota Blu-ray Ripper', http://www.alpota.com  it has a lot of presets for common screen sizes. quick and easy.