Windows 8.1 retail disc on multiple PC's?

AdamPerez
Go to solution Solved by ttam,

Disc, yes.

License key, no

Is it possible to use my Windows 8.1 Retail disc on my friend Angus's new PC which I am building for him? OR is it locked to one PC? I feel REALLY dumb and embarrassed for not knowing this... Anyways, thanks for the help peeps :D

CPU Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5 Ghz  Motherboard Asus Z87 Pro 1150  RAM Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (Blue LED)  GPU EVGA 780 Ti Classified  Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl (windowed)  Storage Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 1TB and Samsung 840 EVO 120GB  PSU Corsair RM 1000W Display(s) ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (3D)  Cooling Corsair H100i

And just for reassurance.

This.

:ph34r:

I Third this. 

You can use the disk to install windows.  But if your license is for 1 pc it means its for 1pc, and 1 pc only. 

Disc, yes.

License key, no

Damn, thanks. So, he would have to buy a whole new license, huh? Shit, thanks guys :D I could try to like bamboozle windows out of one, but I'll just have him buy his own. 

CPU Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5 Ghz  Motherboard Asus Z87 Pro 1150  RAM Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (Blue LED)  GPU EVGA 780 Ti Classified  Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl (windowed)  Storage Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 1TB and Samsung 840 EVO 120GB  PSU Corsair RM 1000W Display(s) ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (3D)  Cooling Corsair H100i

So, I could use the disk. Is there a possible way to get a license somehow with out paying? Angus is in a pretty tight spot and I even chipped in a bit just to help him pay for his $800 PC.

So, I could use the disk. Is there a possible way to get a license somehow with out paying? Angus is in a pretty tight spot and I even chipped in a bit just to help him pay for his $800 PC.

Yeah, but they're all illegal.  Sorry, but I cant give you any ideas.  You'd have to buy a license or use Linux.  

ALTHOUGH!  You could transfer windows license from an old laptop or something of his to his new computer by calling up microsoft.  You would just need the disk for that version of windows or the ISO.  

Yeah, but they're all illegal.  Sorry, but I cant give you any ideas.  You'd have to buy a license or use Linux.  

ALTHOUGH!  You could transfer windows license from an old laptop or something of his to his new computer by calling up microsoft.  You would just need the disk for that version of windows or the ISO.  

Well, his old computer I believe is Windows 7. Would that still work? I might even complain to Microsoft about my license key not working or something ;D (Joking) Thanks guys, I appreciate the help! Once I've hit a dead end with Google, you guys are the nicest and most helpful community on the internet :D