Hey, before I get to it, i'm a new forum member and a first time builder. I decided to ditch my consoles (except for Nintendo), so I sold my Xbox and i'm joining the master race.

Ok, I have a few questions on intalling Windows 8.1 on a 5.25" drive bay-less case (NZXT H440) so here we go:

1. What's better, an external optical drive or a usb flash drive?

2. If a usb drive is better, usb 2.0 or 3.0? Or does it even make a difference?

3. If I use a usb drive, do I need to keep it plugged into my system at all times?

4. If an external ODD is better, which do you reccomend?

Thanks for the help, so far the forum has been awesome and the PC commmunity is great! If you're curious about the build just ask.

1. USB

2. 3.0 is faster

3. No, it's just an install disk, but you need to have it plugged in when installing Windows.

1. USB

2. 3.0 is faster

3. No, it's just an install disk, but you need to have it plugged in when installing Windows.

Thank you! Do you happen to know any good and cost effective 3.0 drives? Also what size?

Thank you! Do you happen to know any good and cost effective 3.0 drives? Also what size?

Imo, I use a 4 gb usb 2.0 drive and it works perfectly fine.

just use whatever flash drive you have already... 4gb and up.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

just use whatever flash drive you have already... 4gb and up.

Imo, I use a 4 gb usb 2.0 drive and it works perfectly fine.

Just found a 32gb Kingston DataTraveler R3.0 g2 for $20 on Amazon, i'll just go with that.

Just found a 32gb Kingston DataTraveler R3.0 g2 for $20 on Amazon, i'll just go with that.

You don't own any flash drives? dafuq

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Make sure that the USB 3.0 port is a native Intel USB port. There could be some issues using either the ASMedia or VIA USB 3.0 ports during installation. If you are unaware of what controller is which, use the USB 2.0 ports to do your install.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Black | Corsair TX750v2 | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz @ 1.27V | Corsair H105 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 PC3-12800 | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 | Axiom Signature III 240GB SSD | WDC 1TB Blue | Hitachi 750GB

I use a 'moron filter' on tech forums. If I don't respond to your post, considered yourself filtered out.

Not the best deal I've seen but it works.

Not the best deal I've seen but it works.

Read - 100Mb/s   Write - 45Mb/s

Read - 100Mb/s   Write - 45Mb/s

I was talking in terms of price to storage capacity.

I was talking in terms of price to storage capacity.

Oh :P

Oh :P

I've seen 32GB drives for $8. Usually around $14-$16 though.

If you're only buying a USB to install windows once don't buy something so expensive, just buy a regular 4-8gb USB stick. What difference does it make if you install WIndows in 10 minutes compared to 15 minutes?? You'll only be doing it once anyway.

At work I have a cheap Lexar 8GB that I use to install windows and it cost me £2!!

If you're only buying a USB to install windows once don't buy something so expensive, just buy a regular 4-8gb USB stick. What difference does it make if you install WIndows in 10 minutes compared to 15 minutes?? You'll only be doing it once anyway.

At work I have a cheap Lexar 8GB that I use to install windows and it cost me £2!!

Ok I'll do that