R9 290x low FPS, Metro Last Light anyone?

Toto123456

I just downloaded Metro last light from steam, I am playing on a 1440p monitor and I get like 50FPS avg @high settings but when in the action or lots of shooting my fps drops to about 25-30FPS. Is this even normal at 1440p? even Crysis 3 I get 70FPS @ high settings and never drop below 42 (not to mention graphics on crysis 3 was wayy better than MLL).

specs

i5 4690k stock clock

8gb ram 1866mhz

sapphire tri x r9 290x

msi z87 g45

thanks

This may be caused by an AMD incompatibility with PhysX. Try turning it off in the Options>Game menu. (However this also caused problems on my Nvidia card which is strange)

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Yes it's normal. Metro Last Light is a very demanding game. The 780 Ti struggles with the game at 1440p too. So don't worry your PC is fine...

What is your ram and cpu usage? 

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

This may be caused by an AMD incompatibility with PhysX. Try turning it off in the Options>Game menu. (However this also caused problems on my Nvidia card which is strange)

I have already turned this off

Yes it's normal. Metro Last Light is a very demanding game. The 780 Ti struggles with the game at 1440p too. So don't worry your PC is fine...

What FPS did u get in that game? what are the settings? did u decide to play it on medium in exchange for the high fps?

I have already turned this off

I guess its just that it is a pretty demanding game at 1440p, all you can do really is lower your graphics options. However I can't really pass this off as normal behavior because my GTX 760 runs this game just fine on very high at 1080p. Maybe its just a driver optimization issue, you could try to use a beta driver or rollback to an earlier version

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

However I can't really pass this off as normal behavior because my GTX 760 runs this game just fine on very high at 1080p. Maybe its just a driver optimization issue, you could try to use a beta driver or rollback to an earlier version

1440p is nearly double the amount of pixels of 1080p. You can't compare how your game runs at 1080p against his at 1440p.

1440p is nearly double the amount of pixels of 1080p. You can't compare how your game runs at 1080p against his at 1440p.

Fair enough but his GPU is much more powerful than mine

My PC:

Overclock  your CPU to at least 4.4GHz, might be experiencing some bottlenecking. I'd be willing to bet that these dips subside or dont dip that low @ 4.4GHz.

Here's a quick 4.4GHz overclock guide:

First things to change in the Bios. Make sure you are on your newest bios before overclocking. 

1. Set "All Core" CPU Multiplier to 44X
2. Set CPU cache Multiplier also called the Ring bus multiplier to 35
3. Set Fixed CPU Vcore to 1.25 -1.30v
4. Set CPU Cache Voltage also could be called Ring Bus voltage to 1.20v -1.25vv
5. Set Vrin also called "CPU Input Voltage" To 1.9v - 2.1v

DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT mix up the "Cpu Voltage" and the "CPU Input Voltage". One is for the CPU and the other for the On Die VRM's. 

Save and reboot into windows. 
Use your favorite Stress tool. I used IBT on High and monitor temps with Realtemp or some other monitoring program.
Run it for 10 Runs or 20 or whoever you feel comfortable with. I run it for 10 usually. If it doesn't blue screen you after the 5th run you could assume you're stable. Again run it for as many times as you want. Get through 10 or 20 runs and no crash? Congratulations you're stable and you can fine tune. 

ibt44_zps3aebe6fe.jpg

cpuz44_zps91cb7de5.jpg

asrockatune12_zps0fee5259.jpg

Just make sure you have an aftermarket CPU cooler

Overclock  your CPU to at least 4.4GHz, might be experiencing some bottlenecking. I'd be willing to bet that these dips subside or dont dip that low @ 4.4GHz.

Here's a quick 4.4GHz overclock guide:

Just make sure you have an aftermarket CPU cooler

thanks for this, I have the h105 cpu cooler. this cpu is still somewhat very new (2days old) and I want to give it a little run (for may be 2 weeks) before I overclock it. I used to overclock my 4670k though, but it died within 3 months so I RMA for this lol

thanks for this, I have the h105 cpu cooler. this cpu is still somewhat very new (2days old) and I want to give it a little run (for may be 2 weeks) before I overclock it. I used to overclock my 4670k though, but it died within 3 months so I RMA for this lol

You just got bad luck. Don't be dissuaded. Overclocking (as long as you follow guides) never really destroy CPU's. 

Go into the options and turn off "Advanced Physx". For some reason this is enabled by default, even on AMD cards on metro: ll. it causes massive random FPS drops. I had very low FPS with metro:ll on my 280x, but as soon as I disabled that it was smooth.

edit: oops, didn't see that you already disabled this