Steam Download Speed?

luke_2bossly

Hey guys why is my download speed so slow??? It was like 3.2mb/s now it is only fluctuating between 30-250kb/s?? Is it because I queud other downloads??? I have amzing internet so why so slow??? My DNS server is googles public if that changes anything?

post-83355-0-27585900-1404161762_thumb.p

post-83355-0-27741300-1404161770_thumb.p

post-83355-0-27585900-1404161762_thumb.p

post-83355-0-27741300-1404161770_thumb.p

Its all looks these days

2mb/s here speedtest says download speed is 17 :/

My PC:

Spoiler

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti D5 4G, Ram: 16GB (2x8) HyperX Fury DDR4, Case: NZXT S340, Psu: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W , HDD's: WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 256GB Scorpio Blue, WD 2TB Caviar Blue  SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240Gb

Could be a Steam server issue. By the way, 3.2MB/s isnt' amazing internet. I download at around 8MB/s and even that isn't amazing. 

http://i.imgur.com/sjU40z8.png

Change this in settings. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

Could be a Steam server issue. By the way, 3.2MB/s isnt' amazing internet. I download at around 8MB/s and even that isn't amazing. 

That's probably you, I'm reaching 18MB/s and more

What do you consider 'amazing internet' lol

2mb/s here speedtest says download speed is 17 :/

You're probably  confusing mbit with MB

Steam has a problem with dropping speed to zero, and then shooting back up. No idea what it is, and only happens in steam.

http://i.imgur.com/sjU40z8.png

Change this in settings. 

You misread.... I say 3.2mb why so slow i have amazing internet :) I should be getting like 15mb/s!!!

Its all looks these days

Steam pauses your download when your hard drive is busy. Could be your problem, my brother as a half dying hard drive and downloading games is only possible when he lets his pc idle.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

1 mb is 8 MB same as, 1 kb is 8 KB, You need to look for the "b" bit or "B" Byte

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK RAM: Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HHD Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB GPU Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: Corsair RM 550W OS: Windows 8.1 Wireless network: Asus pce-n53 (Broken)

1 mb is 8 MB same as, 1 kb is 8 KB, You need to look for the "b" bit or "B" Byte

Other way around, 8Mb = 1MB, where MB is harddrive and Mb is (usually) internet speeds

But yeah if you have harddrive issues Steam will stop the download, should say "Busy writing to disk" however, but I guess that can bug out...

You misread.... I say 3.2mb why so slow i have amazing internet :) I should be getting like 15mb/s!!!

Do a speedtest and show us the results.

Nobody misread though, you didn't even mention anything else besides '3.2mb why so slow i have amazing internet'

Do a speedtest and show us the results.

Nobody misread though, you didn't even mention anything else besides '3.2mb why so slow i have amazing internet'

It was like 3.2mb/s now it is only fluctuating between 30-250kb/s?? I have amzing internet so why so slow???

Its all looks these days

It was like 3.2mb/s now it is only fluctuating between 30-250kb/s?? I have amzing internet so why so slow???

:rolleyes: Nvm

There could be many reasons for a slow internet download speed to steam.

- Local ISP usage.

- Steam Server Location.

Local ISP usage:

Many times, it's your internet not steam. You could try changing your filters if you still use old phone lines for internet or run a http://speedtest.net and check your speed through that, you could also try checking your router (Often 192.168.x.1) as this might tell you if you have any problems and also give you an ISP speed. If you need any help with this just let me know. Also can you list some of your local internet speeds from the past and what you are paying for, maybe if you share your network hardware as this might be a issue. (Prob not, but you never know.)

Steam Server Location:

More than often, most people think that there local steam (the closest) if the fastest. This not always the case, sometimes under heavy load, my local steam location (London) can also produce very slow download speeds. You can try changing your location to somewhere else such as US or a different location and experiment with your speeds while downloading and see what happens.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

Sorry to point this out but it's the other way round. You are absolutely correct about big 'B' and little 'b' though.

Now let's talk bits and bytes.... digital data is made up of bits.... a bit is a binary digit (either 1 or 0). Now we know that 8 bits = 1 byte, so therefore we can work out that 1MB (megabyte) = 8Mb (megabits)

Now your internet speed is typically measured in megabits per second (Mb/s) therefore to work out what that would be in bytes you simply divide by 8.

There could be many reasons for a slow internet download speed to steam.

- Local ISP usage.

- Steam Server Location.

Local ISP usage:

Many times, it's your internet not steam. You could try changing your filters if you still use old phone lines for internet or run a http://speedtest.net and check your speed through that, you could also try checking your router (Often 192.168.x.1) as this might tell you if you have any problems and also give you an ISP speed. If you need any help with this just let me know. Also can you list some of your local internet speeds from the past and what you are paying for, maybe if you share your network hardware as this might be a issue. (Prob not, but you never know.)

Steam Server Location:

More than often, most people think that there local steam (the closest) if the fastest. This not always the case, sometimes under heavy load, my local steam location (London) can also produce very slow download speeds. You can try changing your location to somewhere else such as US or a different location and experiment with your speeds while downloading and see what happens.

How do you change server location?

Its all looks these days

It is probably because Steam is having their summer sales. Lots of peopel downloading is probably putting lots of stress on their servers.

I love cats. Go PCs.