iPhone 5 vs ...

minimoose

First off.  Apple haters go away.  Understand this...  I have never owned a smartphone and currently have an iPod Tough 5th gen which is getting old.  Since I am older now I would like to get a smartphone but I don't have a problem with Apple because, I use Facetime constantly with family members who don't live with me, I am used to the UI and like it and I am not a heavy user and I don't game, so I think even an iPhone 4 would be fast enough for me and lastly iPhones are very high quality.  So give your opinions based on that.

OK.  So I am looking at phones and right now I am looking at refurbished iPhone 5's from reputable sellers for around $300.  I like iPhones for all the reasons stated above and also as shallow and against the DIY PC in my signature the people I am around view iPhones as much cooler than android.  Also I love how they look.

The other option is an Android phone.  I am considering an HTC One M7 however I can't find good deals for that and again I don't like it's look as much as an iPhone.

Normally I would go for the iPhone, but I feel like with Google IO they announced all kinds of cool things whereas iOS 8 is kind of meh.  Also leave your opinion on how much of that stuff is fluff and how much you think I would use it.

Lastly I am using Ting so the phone has to be Sprint.

What would you recommend?

I love my One M7. The iPhone 5 is also good. But I love my M7. Neither is a bad choice imo.

I love my One M7. The iPhone 5 is also good. But I love my M7. Neither is a bad choice imo.

Is there a place you would recommend to buy an M7 either refurbed or used and good condition for about that price?  The unlocked version is new on Amazon (dealer) for $380, but that isn't Sprint.

HTC One M8 or on the cheaper end the Moto G/X is a really nice bang for your buck. I am personally getting the Moto G in a few weeks.

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

HTC One M8 or on the cheaper end the Moto G/X is a really nice bang for your buck. I am personally getting the Moto G in a few weeks.

Why do I get the sense you didn't read the post...

First off.  Apple haters go away.  Understand this...  I have never owned a smartphone and currently have an iPod Tough 5th gen which is getting old.  Since I am older now I would like to get a smartphone but I don't have a problem with Apple because, I use Facetime constantly with family members who don't live with me, I am used to the UI and like it and I am not a heavy user and I don't game, so I think even an iPhone 4 would be fast enough for me and lastly iPhones are very high quality.  So give your opinions based on that.

OK.  So I am looking at phones and right now I am looking at refurbished iPhone 5's from reputable sellers for around $300.  I like iPhones for all the reasons stated above and also as shallow and against the DIY PC in my signature the people I am around view iPhones as much cooler than android.  Also I love how they look.

The other option is an Android phone.  I am considering an HTC One M7 however I can't find good deals for that and again I don't like it's look as much as an iPhone.

Normally I would go for the iPhone, but I feel like with Google IO they announced all kinds of cool things whereas iOS 8 is kind of meh.  Also leave your opinion on how much of that stuff is fluff and how much you think I would use it.

Lastly I am using Ting so the phone has to be Sprint.

What would you recommend?

My first phone was an iPhone 4S. I loved the simplicity of it. It was well designed phone but I switched to android because the screen size just didn't work for me. I will definitely switch if apple comes out with a bigger sized phone. An iPhone is a great place to begin with you won't be disappointed. As for iOS 8 lets hope they will improve it over time.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

I would recommend the iPhone 5, yeah. I've noticed that the display on the 5S (Dad's) has a warmer hue and makes whites a tad warm, don't know if the 5 is same display though.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I would recommend the iPhone 5, yeah. I've noticed that the display on the 5S (Dad's) has a warmer hue and makes whites a tad warm, don't know if the 5 is same display though.

The display on the 5 is the same as the iPod Touch I have and it isn't warm.

The display on the 5 is the same as the iPod Touch I have and it isn't warm.

Oh, must be his then. My iPhone 4 screen is more accurate than that, whites are whites etc.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Oh, must be his then. My iPhone 4 screen is more accurate than that, whites are whites etc.

Well, the 5S is different than the 5.

Well, the 5S is different than the 5.

Yeah, but I thought the screen was the same!

Yeah, but I thought the screen was the same!

The res is the same, but it might be different. Anyway, now to spend all my hard earned cash!

If you love it so much then buy an iPhone. I got into smart devices scene with an iPod touch too but unlike you I don't like iOS so I wouldn't buy an iPhone.

If you are going to buy an Android phone do not to buy a Samsung device, unless it's from the Galaxy Note line, they tend to suck thanks to Samsung bloatware.

HTC One or Moto X maybe.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

If you love it so much then buy an iPhone. I got into smart devices scene with an iPod touch too but unlike you I don't like iOS so I wouldn't buy an iPhone.

If you are going to buy an Android phone do not to buy a Samsung device, unless it's from the Galaxy Note line, they tend to suck thanks to Samsung bloatware.

HTC One or Moto X maybe.

I hate Samsung as a company anyway... I am open to an HTC One but, I can't find it as cheap.

the iphone 4 is good, i would make sure to stay away from the iphone 4s they have had a weird problem with the wifi in those units not sure if they have fixed it.

-Usage of the iphone 4 with ios7 i heard isnt great, the last set of updates improved things abit but still not worth the sluggishness 

the iphone 5 line is sturdy and has great battery life, and i believe the bigger screen is a must

the iphone 5c is basically the iphone 5 just in a plastic shell

iphone 5s the big feature you will notice is the camera and the touch id, everything else will seem the same even though it has a faster processor 

the next set of iphones should be coming out in september so you might consider waiting if you can so you could get the previous model or just get the new one depending on what you prefer.

-nice thing about buying the iphone new is that you can get applecare for $99 which will cover your iphone from defects for 2years and even accidental damage, nice to know that while your iphone is covered while you have your 2yr contract

One more note, if you buy it used make sure to connect to wifi or data before purchase, you will want to make sure the icloud feature "activation lock" is removed, this is a security feature thats enabled by the owner of the iphone and if not removed then your iphone will be locked until the owner removes it

-And no apple will not remove it, its ment for preventing theft, so if the iphone is locked then most likely it is stolen since in order to do a restore on the unit it asks for you to turn it off if you do the restore normally

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4515