Setting up Multimedia Keys on Asus Notebooks

Hello forum readers.

If you are like me and just got a new Asus laptop, installed all your music and favourite media player program. Then when you went to use your multimedia keys they either don't work, or open one of the programs that came with the laptop. For me it was Asus's DVD player or WMP.

After doing some googling and testing a few methods I finally stumbled on a solution.

I would also like to give credit to the people responsible for this fix:

Before you use this method there are a few things you may also want to consider:

What still works after this fix:

• Play/Pause, Stop, Previous Track, Next Track
  • All the combinations using FN +F1 through to F12
  • Combinations involving the FN key and buttons across the QWERTY section of the keyboard
  • Using FN key to toggle numlock still works (See what doesn't work)

What doesn't work after this fix:

• Some of the additional FN + Numpad combinations no longer work. For example I cannot open my calculator with the keyboard.

Now lets begin, luckily it's very quick and easy to do!

1. Firstly go here and download his fix, or alternatively just click here to directly download it. (note that his website says .ZIP but it is a .RAR file)

1. Now that we have downloaded that we need to extract the RAR file, I assume you know how to do this, but if not install 7Zip and then go and right click the file in your download folder, you will see a 7zip option come up.

go to the files we just extracted, find the file "install.bat", right click this file and then select "Run as Administrator".

You may get an error message like the one in the picture below:
    xCMWDQ6.png

To fix this close the bat file we just opened. Then hold ctrl+shift+esc to bring up task manager. look under processes, you will have to tick more details in Windows 8. Then find DMedia.exe (32 bit). Right click this and select End Task.
    i6QeeZA.png

Now lets try rerunning install.bat remembering to run it as an administrator.

1. Now the file should install successfully. If it did then you will get a message like the one in the screenshot below.
    Qg3AKX5.png

1. Now restart the computer and enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

interesting guide here. Just got my Asus laptop like 1 month ago. Mine opens up PowerDVD though so I might give this a try :D