Have no clue what is going on with my hard drive

ikaros
Go to solution Solved by T.Vengeance,

the hard drive will still open windows and i can use it for a good 30 minutes before it shuts off and does it little reboot thing and once it does it windows starts and i can use it again and it will repeat its reboot 

@master dragoon i have no clue how to do that and i dont have a laptop im using my windows slate 7 tablet atm 

@vengance i have 2 fans blowing air to its location but not direct

It's a shot in the dark, but have you tried switching sata power cables from your PSU? It could be providing too much current to your HDD.

so i just built my custom rig 1 and a half weeks ago and instead of buying a new hard drive or ssd i used my hard drive i bought a few years back 

and today i woke up to my computer restarting like every 20 minutes no matter what so i decided to look to see if a cabel was loose and none where and when i felt the hard drive it was crazy hot and i mean hot it was hot enough to almost cause a burn and i let it cool down for the day to see if it would solve it and it was good for a good 2 hours but when i started to play some games(borderlands2 and league of legends ) at the same time it did its lil restart thing and i wasnt sure if it was a restart or not because nothing would shut off inside or stop only the hard drive everything else would still run while it went to a black screen and restarted windows (when it would restart it never would show the options like press f1 to run setup or the asus logo at all just a black screen to windows is now loading after 3 seconds of a black screen

i really need some insight on how to fix this because i cant buy a new hard drive anytime soon 

TL:DR

hard drive is running extremely hot and wont stop rebooting windows 

and i cant afford this problem atm need a fix other then buy an ssd

It just keeps going! Where are the damn periods?

Anyhow, do you have a fan blowing across your hdd? Download speccy and check your HDD temps there.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

i think that HDD is good as dead

see if you can access the HDD as an external drive with a laptop

if you have like the picture below

1394_hdd_enclosure_out1.jpg

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

the hard drive will still open windows and i can use it for a good 30 minutes before it shuts off and does it little reboot thing and once it does it windows starts and i can use it again and it will repeat its reboot 

@master dragoon i have no clue how to do that and i dont have a laptop im using my windows slate 7 tablet atm 

Sounds like you are going to have to endure this problem until you can afford to buy a new HDD or SSD.

one of my friends told me it could have been my power supply but i still think its my hard drive 

so looks like no games for me for awhile then all the money i used is stalled out ill be going to bed sad 

on the bright side  it wasnt something major 

*update on my pc 

now it will turn on but wont start windows its been at windows is loading for 30 minutes 

It's a shot in the dark, but have you tried switching sata power cables from your PSU? It could be providing too much current to your HDD.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

The ssd is probably dead, use it the least possible otherwise you risk to loose all your data. I know you can't afford a hard disk to replace it, but are you sure of that? You can find hdds for very cheap on amazon, even around 20 bucks (for a smaller capacity), you could get one and use that until you are able to afford a proper hdd with the size you need or even an ssd.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i thought that but have no clue how to tell or not i switched them with my optical drive and i even put in another set of cables and it would still reset 

It just keeps going! Where are the damn periods?

i know and also that spelling :L , also no semi colons it's a mess :3 

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

The ssd is probably dead, use it the least possible otherwise you risk to loose all your data. I know you can't afford a hard disk to replace it, but are you sure of that? You can find hdds for very cheap on amazon, even around 20 bucks (for a smaller capacity), you could get one and use that until you are able to afford a proper hdd with the size you need or even an ssd.

it wasnt an ssd it was a wd caviar blue 500 gb hard drive and i have no money i can spend i literally have 0 dollars in my bank account 

so i just built my custom rig 1 and a half weeks ago and instead of buying a new hard drive or ssd i used my hard drive i bought a few years back 

and today i woke up to my computer restarting like every 20 minutes no matter what so i decided to look to see if a cabel was loose and none where and when i felt the hard drive it was crazy hot and i mean hot it was hot enough to almost cause a burn and i let it cool down for the day to see if it would solve it and it was good for a good 2 hours but when i started to play some games(borderlands2 and league of legends ) at the same time it did its lil restart thing and i wasnt sure if it was a restart or not because nothing would shut off inside or stop only the hard drive everything else would still run while it went to a black screen and restarted windows (when it would restart it never would show the options like press f1 to run setup or the asus logo at all just a black screen to windows is now loading after 3 seconds of a black screen

i really need some insight on how to fix this because i cant buy a new hard drive anytime soon 

TL:DR

hard drive is running extremely hot and wont stop rebooting windows 

and i cant afford this problem atm need a fix other then buy an ssd

Sounds like your HDD is hitting it's thermal threshold and the safety's of the drive are kicking in , at that rate the drive is going to die fast get some fans on it ASAP , that a simple and cheap fix but from corsair or some front intake fans to help solve the problems to remove the heat from the HDD.

Edit: Can you also add some full stops ( .) and commas ( ,) all of that in one go is a lot ( that's what she said)

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Sounds like your HDD is hitting it's thermal threshold and the safety's of the drive are kicking in , at that rate the drive is going to die fast get some fans on it ASAP , that a simple and cheap fix but from corsair or some front intake fans to help solve the problems to remove the heat from the HDD.

sounds like i wont be using my pc for awhile then the broke life is so strong 

i figured id atleast can make it work till i got money for a ssd but looks like i was wrong should have just bought a new hard drive or ssd when i was buying the parts i just wanted to save myself $100

Time to put a waterblock on your HDD :)

HDDandWaterblock.jpg

lol that made me laugh a little bit takes the edge off of spending $600 on a pc and cant use it because you didnt want to ad another 50 for a new hard drive 

sounds like i wont be using my pc for awhile then the broke life is so strong 

i figured id atleast can make it work till i got money for a ssd but looks like i was wrong should have just bought a new hard drive or ssd when i was buying the parts i just wanted to save myself $100

Just get a cheapish fan to keep it cool should be a temp fix till you can afford a new SSD and HDD maybe or even an SSHD ?

Current Build : 

Laptop:

CPU: 

the pcb is where almost all the heat is the metal was warm but not to much to add a fan over where its at would be hard the only ports for fans i have or on the other side of my motherboard and it wont reach to where id want to place it 

Just get a cheapish fan to keep it cool should be a temp fix till you can afford a new SSD and HDD maybe or even an SSHD ?

probably will go with an sshd my friend uses one with his build and he said it works great and he is the one to tell me the psu might be sending to much power to it but i dont know how to fix that problem 

probably will go with an sshd my friend uses one with his build and he said it works great and he is the one to tell me the psu might be sending to much power to it but i dont know how to fix that problem

umm use a program called Aida64 Link here , this will show how much voltage, power and current the PSu is sending to the computer and all components; this should also help use determine what is going on inside your computer.

Current Build : 

Laptop:

CPU: 

umm use a program called Aida64 Link here , this will show how much voltage, power and current the PSu is sending to the computer and all components; this should also help use determine what is going on inside your computer.

i cant atm windows wont start it has been at windows is now starting for almost an hour now 

it wasnt an ssd it was a wd caviar blue 500 gb hard drive and i have no money i can spend i literally have 0 dollars in my bank account 

Then I'm afraid you'll have to stay without pc until you can afford a cheap drive or a friend lends one to you.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i cant atm windows wont start it has been at windows is now starting for almost an hour now

okay that is a dead HDD for sure sorry R.I.P Poor HDD , every bow your heads for 10 seconds and morn this HDD

Current Build : 

Laptop:

CPU: 

okay that is a dead HDD for sure sorry R.I.P Poor HDD , every bow your heads for 10 seconds and morn this HDD

turns out it was a problem with my corsair rm 750 i took it back and i used my friends hard drive and it would over heat when plugged into the psu and once i had it replaced everything went back down to normal thanks guys for the help and i will never use correct punctuation to much of a drag :)