PSU fan upgrade

Hey guys, just though I'd share my most recent mod.

I'm currently using an OCZ ZT series 750w power supply to power my system. Seems a good deal for the price, fully modular which is great however the fan is rediculously loud. I'm no silence enthusiast but this was just too much to bare. I've had this psu for 6+ months now in which I've just been putting up with it as I didn't really think I had much choice but I found some threads on other forums where others had replaced fans on their power supply's and decided I'd give it a shot.

6afddda9-39a7-4235-9494-1c2eb4f38974_zps

Warranty voided.

8811925f-bc96-4f5c-be9a-7f19fe902d16_zps

Old yate loon fan.

7a6e6f02-cca7-4aa2-af21-be9b7d2055b5_zps

Molex fan adapter with molex connector cut off and yate loon fan connnector soldered on. (I did insulate the wires after taking the photo)

08d9945f-4321-4864-84e4-a237624e2ff0_zps

Finish product.

Been running the computer for a few hours now and all seems well, tested under load (well, bf3 for a good hour) and all seems fine. Definitely enjoying the quietness. If anyone else is interested in this mod I found this thread usefull http://www.overclock.net/t/1371958/yate-loon-d14bh-12-fan-from-ax1200 . It will void your warranty however so do this at your own risk.

I like how the fan you used was a noctua that was just hilarious to see :)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Sweet Noctuas! :D 

Awesome mod.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

PSUs should ship with noctua fans, this is great :)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

• 2 weeks later...

nice man

i7-3770k, Gigabyte UD5H, NZXT Switch 810, OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, 560 ti Twin Frozr II OC 2GB, Cooler Master V8, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, OCZ Modxstream 700w, Corsair k60 and M65. OH and RED LED LIGHTS   FUCK YA    :)

im gunna swap the fan in my corsair tx750m for a noctua as whenever i start a game it just starts up and gets load quick. quick question, i saw you had to solder the plug from the old fan to the new fan, is it a weird plug? i thought it was just a 3 pin fan header.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Yeah my 650 powercool psu was loud as hell so i bought a 140mm be quiet wings 2 fans and its soo ninja quiet now! :ph34r:  it's actually soo easy to do apart from on the be quiet fan i bought all the wires were black! So i had to test each one to match up the 2 pin connector!  :wacko: Good mod! :D

FX 8350 Black Edition 4.2Ghz

Palit GTX 580 1.5gb

H80i ,TX850, Corsair 300R

This is a known issue with this specific OCZ. If you check the Newegg's product page, you will see that a lot of people experienced this issue. Thing is, it can be treated under warranty. However, you already opened it up... maybe you should get one of those Sanyo Denki San Ace fans. Seasonic uses them on their psus and it's one of the best. You can't hear this fan. I'd not put that Noctua in there... I mean, if you care for aesthetics. If you don't, then I guess it's a good choice.

im gunna swap the fan in my corsair tx750m for a noctua as whenever i start a game it just starts up and gets load quick. quick question, i saw you had to solder the plug from the old fan to the new fan, is it a weird plug? i thought it was just a 3 pin fan header.

The fan on my psu has a two pin header on it so I had to adapt the three pin from the noctua. It just had the 12v wire and a ground wire, no signal wire. I think in the link I posted theres a corsair psu being taken apart which has a 3 pin however the colour coding is different on the wires so I'd check up on it I were you.

This is a known issue with this specific OCZ. If you check the Newegg's product page, you will see that a lot of people experienced this issue. Thing is, it can be treated under warranty. However, you already opened it up... maybe you should get one of those Sanyo Denki San Ace fans. Seasonic uses them on their psus and it's one of the best. You can't hear this fan. I'd not put that Noctua in there... I mean, if you care for aesthetics. If you don't, then I guess it's a good choice.

I read up on the issue aswell, I think it has something to do with the load detection not working correctly and ramping the fan up to max and keeping it there (which is what was happening to me, fan would go to 100% a couple of minutes after startup and stay there). I did consider RMA'ing it, but I didn't wan't wait around with no power supply and I'd have to pay the postage, plus the fan would still be very loud under load, this way its quiet all the time. As for aesthetics, I have my psu exhausting out the bottom of my case so you can't see the fan anyway (and I'm running a D-14 so its kinda ugly anyway).

The fan on my psu has a two pin header on it so I had to adapt the three pin from the noctua. It just had the 12v wire and a ground wire, no signal wire. I think in the link I posted theres a corsair psu being taken apart which has a 3 pin however the colour coding is different on the wires so I'd check up on it I were you.

I read up on the issue aswell, I think it has something to do with the load detection not working correctly and ramping the fan up to max and keeping it there (which is what was happening to me, fan would go to 100% a couple of minutes after startup and stay there). I did consider RMA'ing it, but I didn't wan't wait around with no power supply and I'd have to pay the postage, plus the fan would still be very loud under load, this way its quiet all the time. As for aesthetics, I have my psu exhausting out the bottom of my case so you can't see the fan anyway (and I'm running a D-14 so its kinda ugly anyway).

yeah I had a look it you have to solder the old header onto the new fan like you did, thanks for the reply.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |