Need Suggestions on Engines...

Go to solution Solved by wolfsinner,

If you make no revenue at all, you can absolutely do whatever you want with it. If you do generate revenue, you can use the free version of Unity to make up to $100K/year I think, at least that was the amount last time I checked.

If you make over $100K/year you need to purchase the Pro License, but that's it. Unity takes nothing of your profit.

So, basically I am going to 'try' to make a game for fun and was wondering which of the the 3 engines, (Cryengine, Unreal Engine, or Unity) would be the best for non-commercial use? I'm mainly doing this for fun and experience nothing more (so I guess its for non-commercial use). Other than that thanks! I was also wondering if I should get Unity Pro or not if I start to like it? Thanks again for answering and sorry it I did not provide enough information.

CryEngine 3 is by far the best looking. I really like it.

I used Unity before and it's pretty decent for a free version. If you are doing this for fun, then I suggest you try all of them.

Unity is a good comprehensive engine for beginners and rather easy to find your way without tutorials. I've tried Unreal and it's not immediately user-friendly and requires that you look up tutorials to even really begin. I haven't tried CryEngine however.

Out of those 3, Unity is the most beginner-friendly by far. You could start there. Personally, I've worked with CryEngine and it's awesome, but Unity is also pretty great, especially for beginners. It even has a 2D feature set now.

Want to solve problems? Check this out.

OK, unity will be my choice but I do have one question.

Does Unity Pro/Unity take a cut for making free-to-play game on the web? Like if I post it on a website that I might create and let people play it for free would they take a cut? (It will only be on the PC), and the reason I ask this is because I would like to use Unity Pro to see if I could make a F2P game and let people play on it without giving any money to Unity.

If you make no revenue at all, you can absolutely do whatever you want with it. If you do generate revenue, you can use the free version of Unity to make up to $100K/year I think, at least that was the amount last time I checked.

If you make over $100K/year you need to purchase the Pro License, but that's it. Unity takes nothing of your profit.

Want to solve problems? Check this out.

I would like to use Unity Pro

Do you actually need the features of the pro version?

Do you actually need the features of the pro version?

Somewhat, I've seen the features so I would like to use them, (especially because I've been blessed with a high budget range  :D). But anyways I looked on thier faq and so my questions have been answered but thanks anyways!

Thanks for answering now my questions have been answered and on my quest for greatness!