Dns servers best thing to use

CobalTicz
ok so when my ips are set to automatic the primary dns is 192.168.1.1 and secondary is 0.0.0.0

but when im in the router settings they show 71.250.0.12 and 68.237.161.12    what is the better one to use its for my xbox is one quicker than the other and what is the benefit of fast dns

or should i manually put in 192.168.1.1 for both because i read that if you use your gateway as a dns it uses itself and if it cant find the stuff it needs it uses the others

ok so when my ips are set to automatic the primary dns is 192.168.1.1 and secondary is 0.0.0.0

but when im in the router settings they show 71.250.0.12 and 68.237.161.12    what is the better one to use its for my xbox is one quicker than the other and what is the benefit of fast dns

or should i manually put in 192.168.1.1 for both because i read that if you use your gateway as a dns it uses itself and if it cant find the stuff it needs it uses the others

Your Xbox should be set to 192.168.1.1 if you want it to be seen on your network quickly. 

You only use those other DNS IP's if you want to play online and find things faster. Either or is fine. It's just a different set of priorities really.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Your Xbox should be set to 192.168.1.1 if you want it to be seen on your network quickly. 

You only use those other DNS IP's if you want to play online and find things faster. Either or is fine. It's just a different set of priorities really.

i dont get this what do you mean what would be more beneficial well what are the benefits of both

and if i use 192.168.1.1 as the dns if it asks for primary and secondary should i do 192.168.1.1 and 0.0.0.0 or could i put 192.168.1.1 for both what would be the difference

i dont get this what do you mean what would be more beneficial well what are the benefits of both

Basically, 192.168.1.1 tells your Xbox to ask the Router for directions. However, the router isn't a DNS for the internet, so when it can't find whatever the Xbox is looking for, it passes the request along to 71.250.0.12. If that one can't find it, it passes it along to 68.237.161.12. 

Unless you are looking for something on your home network, then the router will just say, "Yeah, that guy is this IP." 

If you tell your Xbox to bypass your router and just go straight to 71.250.0.12 or 68.237.161.12, it will find things on the internet slightly faster, however it will find things on your network (your PC, your phone, etc) slower. 

and if i use 192.168.1.1 as the dns if it asks for primary and secondary should i do 192.168.1.1 and 0.0.0.0 or could i put 192.168.1.1 for both what would be the difference

0.0.0.0 basically means it won't find anything. I would just set it to 192.168.1.1 and 127.0.0.1 (this means it uses itself as the DNS). 

Honestly, it really doesn't matter. You will not notice the difference.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Basically, 192.168.1.1 tells your Xbox to ask the Router for directions. However, the router isn't a DNS for the internet, so when it can't find whatever the Xbox is looking for, it passes the request along to 71.250.0.12. If that one can't find it, it passes it along to 68.237.161.12. 

Unless you are looking for something on your home network, then the router will just say, "Yeah, that guy is this IP." 

If you tell your Xbox to bypass your router and just go straight to 71.250.0.12 or 68.237.161.12, it will find things on the internet slightly faster, however it will find things on your network (your PC, your phone, etc) slower. 

0.0.0.0 basically means it won't find anything. I would just set it to 192.168.1.1 and 127.0.0.1 (this means it uses itself as the DNS). 

Honestly, it really doesn't matter. You will not notice the difference.

so what im getting from this is there is no difference but since im online gaming and not searching for stuff on my network the real dns servers would be better

You what? Really?

Do not enter 127.0.0.1 as a DNS entry UNLESS you are actually running a DNS server on the device. It's an Xbox? Then no.

The router has those two entries (71.250.0.12 or 68.237.161.12) because it needs to know where to forward queries it does not know the answer to. You will see literally no difference if a device is pointing directly at it or not. You're talking nanoseconds here.

Yes, if you point DNS at the router it will resolve internal host names whereas if you do not, it will not. If you have all of your DNS queries going directly to external servers, you will not be able to find other devices on your network via. a hostname. There are exceptions, but if you do not know them, then they will not apply here.

so what im getting from this is there is no difference but since im online gaming and not searching for stuff on my network the real dns servers would be better

You will see no difference whatsoever. Keep your Xbox automatically configured and pointing at your router.

You what? Really?

Do not enter 127.0.0.1 as a DNS entry UNLESS you are actually running a DNS server on the device. It's an Xbox? Then no.

The outcome wouldn't change anything. It will only use that if it can't reach the router. If it can't reach the router, it can't reach anything external or internal regardless. It's not different from 0.0.0.0 in this case. 

However, if it were on a Windows 7 machine or something similar, it would then use it's own DNS cache (as long as it isn't out-dated or something) and still find things. At least that's how I'd imagine it to work. Or it will try to reach 127.0.0.1 and it will, but it won't get a response that it's a DNS server, so it will just default to it's cache again anyway. 

I just don't see how it's different from 0.0.0.0.

† Christian Member †

The outcome wouldn't change anything. It will only use that if it can't reach the router. If it can't reach the router, it can't reach anything external or internal regardless. It's not different from 0.0.0.0 in this case. 

However, if it were on a Windows 7 machine or something similar, it would then use it's own DNS cache (as long as it isn't out-dated or something) and still find things. At least that's how I'd imagine it to work. Or it will try to reach 127.0.0.1 and it will, but it won't get a response that it's a DNS server, so it will just default to it's cache again anyway. 

I just don't see how it's different from 0.0.0.0.

It will always query the cache before querying anything else. 127.0.0.1 implies that it is actually running a DNS server. 0.0.0.0 will be special to the hardware in that there is no other option. On a linux machine or a router, it (probably) will not recognise this.