Which SSD would you get?

Damikiller37
Go to solution Solved by Damikiller37,

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB it is :) I was planning to get that one from the start but just wanted to make sure.

Right so I have been waiting to get myself enough money to buy an SSD and now is the time I have to decide. My budget is around £100. I'm wanting the best SSD that I can get for the money. My only requirements are: needs to be 250gb at the very least (give or take a few GB depending on the manufacturer) and UK only retailers (preferably Amazon UK or Overclockers UK)

So here is my list of the ones I have found in this price range:

I use my computer mainly for gaming and doing stuff like web browsing, watching movies and videos, etc. I plan on reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows onto the SSD and only have the most important programs and maybe a game or two that I want loading fast on it. All other games and programs will be on my current HDD. If any of you guys have experience with any of the listed SSDs then feel free to let me know what they are like. If you have any other suggestions then let me know with a link to where I could get it. Thanks 

M550 bcuz its faster than the m500. Bothbare great though.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Clearly the 840 EVO :P

It has great read+write speeds, and is 100% designed by samsung. This makes sure that every part i perfectly engineered to work together, decreasing the failure rates and increasing reliability over time.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

SanDisk X210 256GB (Enterprise SSD for Client/Workstation computers, the SanDisk series for consumer usage SUCKS! Starting from the X210 their SSDs are awesome).

same price as the extreme pro series SSDs

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

If crucial mx100 is significantly cheaper, go for that. Its pretty much the same speed, but uses higher quality flash and powerloss capactiors

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

840 EVO is a consistent performer, and has an excellent $/GB ratio (my personal favorite). They're all good drives though, go with whatever has the best $/GB. Try this link for those stats.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking