Looking for general specifications for a laptop to suit my needs

Hramyzn
Go to solution Solved by Createinator,

Any laptop/netbook with i3/ i5 with at least 4GB RAM is good enough for your purpose ~ pick anything in the range of 350-600$

Hello, I have to buy a laptop and I want it to be as cheap as possible. This is what I'll be using it for:

-Some programming (mostly to learn and practice, nothing serious) in C/C++, Java, Perl etc

-Some database work (also mostly learning and practice) using PostgreSQL, MySQL Workbench etc.

-And a bit of fiddling around with HTML, CSS, JS and other web development stuff.

I'll be running Linux on it and won't be playing any games on it (I'll get a nice desktop for that).

So, what would you recommend? Are the cheap i3 laptops enough to do all of the above smoothly? Also, I'm looking for long battery life, but I don't know if those ULV CPUs are really worth it.

I'm just looking for general specifications (although, an example laptop would be appreciated).

Hello, I have to buy a laptop and I want it to be as cheap as possible. This is what I'll be using it for:

-Some programming (mostly to learn and practice, nothing serious) in C/C++, Java, Perl etc

-Some database work (also mostly learning and practice) using PostgreSQL, MySQL Workbench etc.

-And a bit of fiddling around with HTML, CSS, JS and other web development stuff.

I'll be running Linux on it and won't be playing any games on it (I'll get a nice desktop for that).

So, what would you recommend? Are the cheap i3 laptops enough to do all of the above smoothly? Also, I'm looking for long battery life, but I don't know if those ULV CPUs are really worth it.

I'm just looking for general specifications (although, an example laptop would be appreciated).

An i3 should be more than enough. 

I'd go with Lenovo as they tend to have the best battery life of laptops--at least from what i've seen. 

Lenovo G410 - $470 (off from $700) 

Lenovo G510 - $480 (off from $700) 

Lenovo Thinkpad X131e

Lenovo U430 -- On sale for $550 

The G410/G510 will be the fastest of the 4 as the cpu is decently better, but for what you're planning on doing the performance difference wouldn't really matter, and the x131e and u430 have much better battery life. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Any laptop/netbook with i3/ i5 with at least 4GB RAM is good enough for your purpose ~ pick anything in the range of 350-600$

Thanks guys. I suspected something like that would be enough.

An i3 should be more than enough. 

I'd go with Lenovo as they tend to have the best battery life of laptops--at least from what i've seen. 

Lenovo G410 - $470 (off from $700) 

Lenovo G510 - $480 (off from $700) 

Lenovo Thinkpad X131e

Lenovo U430 -- On sale for $550 

The G410/G510 will be the fastest of the 4 as the cpu is decently better, but for what you're planning on doing the performance difference wouldn't really matter, and the x131e and u430 have much better battery life. 

Well, the u430 seems really nice. The only problem is finding it in my country :D

The laptops you suggested are really nice, but due to availability issues (I'm from some eastern European country nobody has heard about)  I guess I'll have to go with "if it has an i3 or i5 and at least 4 GBs or RAM I'll buy it", as Manga Sennin suggested.