Looking to buy my first car - advice and suggestions welcome!

dalekphalm

Hey everyone!

I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks, and I must acquire a car within the first 3 months of being on the job. The position is for IT Tech for a Library (And their branches).

Anyway, I'm looking to buy my first car (note emphasis on buy - I've owned a car before but it was a hand-me-down for free).

A couple of things to start off. I live in Ontario, Canada, so please don't suggest cars that are only available in Europe or elsewhere.

My budget: $20,000 MAX (would like to keep it less if possible)

Must-have Features:

Automatic transmission - Now I won't tolerate any bullshit about how Manual is better/more fun/etc. I simply don't have the time to learn Manual. The day I get the car is the day I start using it for work.

AC - Hey, it gets hot out!

Mileage/Odometer - Would LIKE to keep it under 60-70,000 KM, but I'm honestly not sure how important this is

Fuel Efficiency - MUST be highly fuel efficient. Combined rating of 35MPG+ would be preferable. I would also LIKE to have 30+ MPG for city driving (stop and go traffic).

CUP HOLDERS - Weird thing to put on must-have, but my last car did NOT have any!

NICE-TO-HAVE Features:

Fuel type - I would like Diesel, because they are generally much more fuel efficient, but this isn't a must-have.

Bluetooth or 3.5mm Jack - not essential. Worst case I just buy an aftermarket CD player.

LARGE/ROOMY Interior - I used to drive a 1999 Buick Regal. I like big roomy cars. The roomier inside without compromising fuel efficiency, the better.

Hatchback vs Sedan? The Hatch may be more useful? I suppose this one comes down to personal preference.

Thoughts on used Hybrids? I'd be concerned about the lifespan of the battery the most. Not like you can just go to Canadian Tire and buy a new 12V battery for the main Hybrid battery pack.

I've been looking at things like this:

2009 VW Jetta TDI - 60,000 KM - $17,000

2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI - 110,000 KM - $16,000

So as you can see, two cars that are fairly similar (One's a Hatchback, the other isn't - otherwise I think they're pretty similar). One is newer but has higher KM, one is older but lower KM. Price almost the same.

How do I determine which is the better value? How important is getting low KM's? Obviously I'll need to test drive and get them inspected by a mechanic. What if I like the feel of both the same and they both come with a clean inspection? Just buy the cheaper one? I have ZERO experience with car shopping and would like your tips/advice.

Also, if anyone in the Ontario, Canada locale has any other suggestions for a car, please let me know.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This!

bmw.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK RAM: Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HHD Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB GPU Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: Corsair RM 550W OS: Windows 8.1 Wireless network: Asus pce-n53 (Broken)

Watch a few seasons of TopGear and you should be golden.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Watch a few seasons of TopGear and you should be golden.

Haha well first: I've watched EVERY season of TopGear (Well, the "reboot" anyway, none of the original stuff from 70's/80's)

Next: I can't afford a DB9 or pretty much most of the cars they show off on their show

Lastly: They're a UK show, and thus, 99% of those cars are NOT available in Canada

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I recently bought a Volvo C30 R-Design. Can highly recommend it. You can find those Automatic or Manual [eventhough I'd suggest manual, as automatic will make your penis fall off sooner or later... srsly].

It has USB / 3.5mm [dynaudio refuses to give BT as it's too bad for their speakers] and it's a very nice hatch back! [it's volvo, it will last you 15-20 years, my V40 died after 400'000km] :)

And has cupholder, auto AC and so on and so forth. Only thing is with 13L / 100km city / 7l / 100km highway it's not that fuel efficient. BUt 230PS :D

Bought mine for around 20k, look out for 2011-2013 R-Design C30. Awesome cars, and a lot of fun to drive :)

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Haha well first: I've watched EVERY season of TopGear (Well, the "reboot" anyway, none of the original stuff from 70's/80's)

Next: I can't afford a DB9 or pretty much most of the cars they show off on their show

Lastly: They're a UK show, and thus, 99% of those cars are NOT available in Canada

I just watched an episode of them testing some hatchback cars that were in your price range.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

VW Passat? Audi A4?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Honda Civic!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

VW Passat? Audi A4?

I would quite like having a Passat or A4, but they're usually out of the budget range, unless I look at older models with lots of KM's.

@beebskadoo I probably will check out some civics. The only downside is they're (in my opinion) not as nice as Jetta's, not as roomy either. But that could have changed with the newer models?

Mazda Mazda3 or Mazda6; Ford Focus or Fusion; Honda Civic or CR-Z; Scion xB or TC - might be a little over budget -; Suburu Impreza - over, but that's due to Suburus having AWD as a standard -, Volkswagen Jetta or Golf; Dodge Dart, Hyundai Accent, Veloster, or Sonata; Kia Rio, Forte, or Soul; Suzuki Kizashi, Nissan Versa, or a Mitsubishi Lancer. There's probably more that I don't remember or don't know since Canada does have different car companies than the US. Suzuki, I think, no longer sells autos in the US, they do continue to sell motorcycles, though.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I would quite like having a Passat or A4, but they're usually out of the budget range, unless I look at older models with lots of KM's.

@beebskadoo I probably will check out some civics. The only downside is they're (in my opinion) not as nice as Jetta's, not as roomy either. But that could have changed with the newer models?

If I were you I'd definitely gor for a civic, I drive a '99 civic and I absolutely love it, it may not be as big but it's very comfortable.

Plus 200.000 KM and it's still going strong

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

My recommendations are either the ford focus, especially the ecoboost engined one, or the vw golf, maybe the blue motion one if you want a more fuel efficient car, otherwise the tsi engined one is decent.

I think they are better than hybrids. seriously, don't get a hybrid, they use extremely precious metals that require huge amounts of energy to extract, and the batteries used in them eventually die, so become a large contaminant that requires even greater energy waste to destroy them safely. They are more harmful than a good petrol car, which in my view is better than diesels unless you do heavy loading I.e. You are a van driver or do off-roading. Diesels create huge sums of nitrous oxides that can cause vastly larger amounts of pollution than petrol cars that is much more damaging. Get a very economical petrol and it will be so much better for you.

Another idea would be the fiat panda 4x4 if you can get it, if you feel like more space and a raised driving position.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Hey everyone!

Chevy monte carlo would be good for you.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!