VRM cooling

Hey LTT,

I was just wondering if I need VRM cooling to go to 1.35v on my 4770k. I have a custom loop and a Z87 hero. The rest of my specs are in my sig.

So basically would my VRMs pop running 1.35v through them with no cooling on them? I do have a good air flow in my air 540.

Thanks!

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Hey LTT,

I was just wondering if I need VRM cooling to go to 1.35v on my 4770k. I have a custom loop and a Z87 hero. The rest of my specs are in my sig.

So basically would my VRMs pop running 1.35v through them with no cooling on them? I do have a good air flow in my air 540.

Thanks!

You will be perfectly fine.  That isn't a dangerous level of voltage, and Asus makes incredible motherboards.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You will be perfectly fine.  That isn't a dangerous level of voltage, and Asus makes incredible motherboards.

I thought 1.35v was kinda pushing what is safe... I'm on water so I am not worried about temps but even on LN2 too much voltage will break the CPU... What am I risking by going higher? I will probably hit a temp wall before I hit the (insert other risk here) wall right?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I thought 1.35v was kinda pushing what is safe... I'm on water so I am not worried about temps but even on LN2 too much voltage will break the CPU... What am I risking by going higher? I will probably hit a temp wall before I hit the (insert other risk here) wall right?

Check out these haswell overclocking guides:

LTT:  Haswell Overclocking Guide

OC.net:  Haswell Overclocking Guide

As you can see from both guides, your voltage is perfectly fine.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

easiest on the AIR540 water cooled is to reverse your rear i/o fan to intake to

allow the VRM to get some ventilation or air flow to combat VRM heating.

VRM unless you are ridiculously overvolting the CPU and RAM will handle 110°C

on air cooling with no ill-effects. and that'd be a lot of volts (1.45+ CPU/1.85RAM)

Yeah I really dont think you need to worry about VRM cooling until you start really pushing voltages as airdeano says. I personally still havent bothered plumbing in my VRM waterblock on my ROG formula VI yet as my daily driver OC keeps voltages under 1.3v. In fact from memory, when I was benching with voltages over 1.4 I actually was hitting thermal throttling on stress tests before VRM temps became an issue.  

Switch your top Rad arrangement and make it an Intake...ensure your top rear Fan exhausts, this is another reason why I prefer top Rad as intake...moves Air over your Mobo...even warm air is better than no air!!

Top Rads as Intakes...sometimes you have to "think outside the box sheeple" ;)

3930K - 4.85Ghz w EK Supremacy | RIVE w Photon 170 D5 Vario / Res Combo | 16GB 1866 Doms | Evga GTX 780Ti SC SLi w EK Full WB's| AX 1.2 kW | 900D - 1 x RX480 1 x EX360 & 1 x EX240 Rads w Noctua NF F & Corsair SP "Push" | W7 HP x64 | MK11: P25,113 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7499603 | Firestrike: 19,576 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1177627