Suck or Blow

Go to solution Solved by Shaqo_Wyn,

Hi,

That sounds good however sorry for the stupid question however could you explain why negative airflow maybe wanted and the difference from say positive or neutral? 

I know its a bit of a big ask :)

I'm guessing positive air flow is better to prevent dust but is higher pressure while negative reduces the pressure but is more prone to dust 

I added a third option to my first post. :)

One would want negative airflow if they don't have a case with dust filters and don't want to spend money buying dust filters. Some claim that negative airflow gives better performance (not true). Air pressure isn't really a big deal in PC cases. There is a common misconception that PC cases are air tight and they're not. With positive air pressure you'll have air being pushed OUT passively through all the cracks and space in the case. While with negative air pressure you'll have air being sucked IN passively through all the nooks and crannies of the pc case, this is why negative airflow brings more dust into your pc case. Positive airflow loses it's advantage (less dust) if you don't have dust filters on the intakes.

Hi,

Just after some advice really I have just purchased the following case --> http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-spec-03-orange-led-mid-tower-gaming-case

I have also purchased x4 Corsair Air Series AF120 case fans and a h75 cpu cooler.

Just wondering if anyone could provide some advice on the configuration of the fans as I'm open for suggestion :)    (I would be replacing one stock fan with the consair fans) 

I was currently thinking of having x4 intakes and then using the h75 as an exhausts to keep cold air over this however I thought this may increase the pressure in the case which can give a negative impact.

I then though of having 3 intakes and then two exhausts including the h75. 

This would mean having two exhausts with one on the back and one on the top. 

If anyone could provide some advice that would be helpful 

p.s. Hope you like the topic title ;) 

Hi,

Just after some advice really I have just purchased the following case --> http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-spec-03-orange-led-mid-tower-gaming-case

I have also purchased x4 Corsair Air Series AF120 case fans and a h75 cpu cooler.

Just wondering if anyone could provide some advice on the configuration of the fans as I'm open for suggestion :)    (I would be replacing one stock fan with the consair fans) 

I was currently thinking of having x4 intakes and then using the h75 as an exhausts to keep cold air over this however I thought this may increase the pressure in the case which can give a negative impact.

I then though of having 3 intakes and then two exhausts including the h75. 

This would mean having two exhausts with one on the back and one on the top. 

If anyone could provide some advice that would be helpful 

p.s. Hope you like the topic title ;)

You could do two front intakes, 2 top exhausts and 1 rear exhaust if you don't mind negative airflow. For more neutral airflow you could do the same as the first config and add a bottom intake too. A third option would be having the H75 as an intake in the rear, two front intakes and two top exhausts which would give you positive airflow without having to add a bottom fan. Make sure you're intakes have air filters if you're going for positive airflow. I'd get a pressure optimized fan for the H75.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

You could do two front intakes, 2 top exhausts and 1 rear exhaust if you don't mind negative airflow. For more neutral airflow you could do the same as the first config and at a bottom intake too.

Hi,

That sounds good however sorry for the stupid question however could you explain why negative airflow maybe wanted and the difference from say positive or neutral? 

I'm guessing positive air flow is better to prevent dust but is higher pressure while negative reduces the pressure but is more prone to dust 

Hi,

One would want negative airflow if they don't have a case with dust filters and don't want to spend money buying dust filters. Some claim that negative airflow gives better performance (not true). Air pressure isn't really a big deal in PC cases. There is a common misconception that PC cases are air tight and they're not. With positive air pressure you'll have air being pushed OUT passively through all the cracks and space in the case. While with negative air pressure you'll have air being sucked IN passively through all the nooks and crannies of the pc case, this is why negative airflow brings more dust into your pc case. Positive airflow loses it's advantage (less dust) if you don't have dust filters on the intakes.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Its not a lot for some dust filters so think I will go with the positive air flow and look at simply purchasing some dust filters as I think I only need three as the case does have some built in.

Thanks for your helpful answer