Arch Linux Gnome Autostart Issue, need some help pls ^^

Hi,

So I have switched from Ubuntu to Arch. It's super awesome.

The only issue I have no been able to resolve yet, is gdm.service autostarting on boot.

I know logging in and typing "startx" isn't an actual issue, but since I am using a BT keyboard for my linux machine, it's rather annoying pluggin in a wired KB everytime I reboot.

Now once I enable gdm at boot with

systemctl enable gdm.service

the system hangs on [OK] Reached Target Grahical Interface

I have one .xinitrc at ~/.xinitrc and one ad /home/myusername/.xinitrc exec gnome-session is enabled.

aswell as https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_Login

so my ~/bash_profile contains

[[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx

I have not found a solution to my problem yet...

Using proprietary AMD Legacy drivers, as my old TV can only be scaled by those it seems -.-

I have reinstalled gnome and the catalyst-hook catalyst-utils and catalyst-lib drivers, still no change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I didn't notice the "startx is not a problem" the first time I read the post! I assume, then, that there is no graphics drivers problem.

Still, I'll leave my answer below.

I also recently switched from ubuntu to arch on my laptop (and plan to switch my main pc too but I will have to do a... complete overhaul, let's say!).

But before that I tested on a VM and the same thing happened so I knew what the problem was.

When it came do desktop environments I oped for LXDE and had it install xorg and nvidia libs. After enabling the lxdm service I rebooted and it also hung on the same spot.

Then I switched to a different tty to disable it and see what the problem was (it was tricky because it would keep switching back to tty1). Turns out I had to install the nvidia package because what had been installed wasn't the complete package.

After that it started normally with systemd.

And I didn't have to change any files (lxdm starts X).

Edited by MikeD

Mkinitcpio bluetooth hook to recognize your keyboard on boot.

You can try different login managers other than the one Gnome comes with.

Logging in through a display manage already launches the desktop so modifying bash_profile to auto start the desktop from getty is redundant.

"~/.xinitrc" and "/home/myusername/.xinitrc" is the same file unless you're logged in as root?

Thanks for this :)

Which login manager would you recommend? Heard SLIM was having trouble lately.

And I simply install the Login manager, then systemctl enable "loginmanager" and I'll be able to loginto gnome?

And I'll try the bt hook right now :) ty ^^

and about the double xinitrc file. I got confused on the arch wiki, as it always talked about ~/.xinitrc or ~/bash_config and so on so I copied one from skel there ^^'

So, which Loginmanager would you recommend? ^^

thx :)

I always prefer to log in through the command line to do any system maintenance before starting the desktop so I have never used a login manager,

Ya, well I really don't mid typing startx, but having an extra keyboard wired is somewhat annoying ^^

hmmm mkinitcpio btinit seems to be "Flagged ouf of date 5-31-2014" and doesn't work :(

I'll try my luck with lightdm or something :)

If you don't want to type "startx" then that is what the "[[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx" in bash_profile is for. With no login manager enabled, you can follow this to auto log in into getty which will auto start the desktop.

Ah I tried this guide, I must be doing something wrong, as it does nothing :(

But I got LXDM working, and set it to autologin. Unfortunately LXDM doesn't seem to accept BT input, and googling for it seems exceptionally hard as it autocorrects to lxde all the time -.- ^^

:)

Well I don't mind typing startx, got no loginmanager on my laptop, it's more about the BT keyboard, which I use when I'm in bed and watching movies or something, and getting up and plugging in a KB is a pita ^^

If you have the login manager set to auto login, what inputs do you need it to accept?

I have it on autologin because it doesn't accept my BTkeyboard

But I'll settle for this for now :) Tyvm for your help ^^