RAM, WHAT DO?!

So here's my question.

On my MSI z97 Gaming 5 Mobo, should I use 2400hz with a CL of 11 or 1600hz with a CL of 8-9? AND should I get 4x4gb or 2x8gb?

2x8gb I would go with the fast one.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

4x4 gb cl 9 1600 mhz

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

2x8gb I would go with the fast one.

4x4 gb cl 9 1600 mhz

Alrighty. Why the 4x4/2x8?

Alrighty. Why the 4x4/2x8?

2x8 for dual channel. Idk why would he recommend 4 sticks. No benefit in that.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

What CPU do you use? Not every CPU supports every RAM clock speed (if I understand this correctly).

What CPU do you use? Not every CPU supports every RAM clock speed (if I understand this correctly).

I7 4770k or the new 4790k

2x8 for dual channel. Idk why would he recommend 4 sticks. No benefit in that.

Alright, and by fast you mean the CL8-9? 

So here's my question.

On my MSI z97 Gaming 5 Mobo, should I use 2400hz with a CL of 11 or 1600hz with a CL of 8-9? AND should I get 4x4gb or 2x8gb?

Check your user manual or manufacturer website to see what RAM your mobo supports first

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Alright, and by fast you mean the CL8-9? 

2400mhz.

Check your user manual or manufacturer website to see what RAM your mobo supports first

Geez guys he said z97 gaming 5. That mobo should support any ram and speed.

Spoiler

My thanks, I somehow missed that!

2400mhz.

Should is not a definite answer, sometimes these things vary, always a good idea to make sure before spending a ton of cash on something.

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

2400mhz.

Alright, thinking of putting in Kingston hyperx Beast 2x8 2400hz. Is there a better alternative?

2400mhz.

That doesn't mean his CPU will since the "North Bridge" is now on the CPU your CPU has to support the speed as well

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

Should is not a definite answer, sometimes these things vary, always a good idea to make sure before spending a ton of cash on something.

no one lists 200 different ram sticks on their manual so.

Spoiler

2400mhz.

So, there's no restriction by the CPU? Usually the ones by Intel only list 1333 and 1600. Am I mixing things up?

2 X 8 GB 2400 Mhz CL 11 is the faster option ~ if its cheaper or around the same price as 1600 Mhz... go for it! :)

For that platform, take 2x8GB 1600MHz CAS9 DIMMS.

My thanks, I somehow missed that!

Here's a tip, if it supports dual channel memory then get a dual channel kit for the best performance, also make sure to install in the correct dual channel slots, again your user manual should indicate which slots it is.

Here's a tip, if it supports dual channel memory then get a dual channel kit for the best performance, also make sure to install in the correct dual channel slots, again your user manual should indicate which slots it is.

Alright I'll double check when time is right!

no one lists 200 different ram sticks on their manual so.

I wasn't talking about which specific brand, I was referring to dual channel or not, latency, speed etc.

I wasn't talking about which specific brand, I was referring to dual channel or not, latency, speed etc.

Are you serious. It's the newest z97 gaming mobo. it will support dual channel up to 6000mhz or whatever goes now. It's just z97 gaming mobo it should support anything.

Spoiler

Another thing to look out for is if the RAM heat sink is too big it could interfere with the cpu cooler, unless your using a stock cooler in that case its fine.

I think I'll have to use a low profile since I plan on putting a H100I on the CPU