Help with new computer

squamishscepter

Hi there looking to get a new computer. My new computer will be used mainly for video editing so I am leaning heavily towards a Mac, although.......I am intriged about the new Star Citizen game coming up.

If I were to buy or build (or have a compute built most likley) what specs and parts would you deem to be the most important, and would it then perform as well as a new Macbook Pro with an I7, 16 gigs of ram and an ssd.

For video editing, a powerful CPU is needed.

I would recommend a 3770K or maybe going 2011.

If you're going Windows, try going with an Nvidia card, as they have Cuda and AMD doesn't.

And for the RAM, that is so cheap these days, try to get 16 or 32 GB of 1600 or 1866MHz.

A list of the most important parts you will need for a well made video editing computer would be:

3770k Intel CPU (LGA 1155) combined with a LGA 1155 motherboard, this is a cheaper solution to the much more expensive (2011).

Also you would need 16-32 Gigs of memory at high frequency's (1600/1866 MHz) , a must for video/photo editing.

Lastly go with a high end graphics card a Nvidia 670/680 or a AMD Radeon 7950/7970. Though the Nvidia Cuda cores will help with video editing.

Maybe a sound card will help, any sound-card is better than the one on-board a motherboard.

Hope this helped!

Noble~

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

https://developer.nvidia.com/what-cuda

Read this, it will tell you everything you need about Cuda

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

CUDAâ„¢ is a parallel computing platform and programming model invented by NVIDIA. It enables dramatic increases in computing performance by harnessing the power of the graphics processing unit (GPU).

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html

Ok so if I were to build/buy said computer would it perform as well as a Mac for video editing?

Since both use pretty much the same hardware, the decision would be based on what program do you want to use for editing video, if you want to use final cut, which is made by apple themselves, and optimized completely for their OS then go with a Mac. If you want to use any other software then go with PC, it will run the same as the mac if the components you choose are the same, faster than the mac if you chose better components for it with the money you are saving by not paying the branding of apple.

And with a PC you can also upgrade your hardware as you see fit, without having to buy a whole new computer.

Obviously many people are biased to a company, and you have to take that into account when asking for opinions, someone trying to sell you a MAC will always tell you it does everything better. And someone selling you a PC will tell you both machines are the same, and the only difference is the price.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Personally, I've worked with the Mac ecosystem for 2 years for video editing and I must say that I was far from impressed.

I can see why businesses go for Mac because it indeed looks nice on a desk and it impresses costumers, but the performance just isn't what's promised.

I'm now using Windows and it might not look as nice but it works a lot faster for me.

it appears that nobody has mentioned Intel QuickSync from what I can gather it performs better than CUDA and sony vegas pro 12 supports QuickSync.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Thanks Sors. Thats sort of what I thought as well. It makes sense to me.

Since both use pretty much the same hardware, the decision would be based on what program do you want to use for editing video, if you want to use final cut, which is made by apple themselves, and optimized completely for their OS then go with a Mac. If you want to use any other software then go with PC, it will run the same as the mac if the components you choose are the same, faster than the mac if you chose better components for it with the money you are saving by not paying the branding of apple.

And with a PC you can also upgrade your hardware as you see fit, without having to buy a whole new computer.

Obviously many people are biased to a company, and you have to take that into account when asking for opinions, someone trying to sell you a MAC will always tell you it does everything better. And someone selling you a PC will tell you both machines are the same, and the only difference is the price.

I personally dislike macs but playing devils advocate here,you can upgrade macs as well,assuming you buy a mac pro desktop
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

You could build a mac compatible system (hackintosh) and run it dual boot? Boot off one drive to be in whatever apple is calling it's OS today or boot off the other to actually play games?

I wouldn't go for a mac, its just way to overpriced for what you get.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

For video editing, a powerful CPU is needed.

I would recommend a 3770K or maybe going 2011.

If you're going Windows, try going with an Nvidia card, as they have Cuda and AMD doesn't.

And for the RAM, that is so cheap these days, try to get 16 or 32 GB of 1600 or 1866MHz.

When is he going to need cuda cores? He doesn't program so ...